Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Question regarding a 10 year old and birthday money
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

So my lad is well into a thing called Nerf which is basically an airsoft gun that they are all into at his school. He already has three cheapish ones of these but wants to use the 100 odd pounds he got for his birthday to buy an uber Nerf called a Longshot, £75 quid for what is basically a toy gun.

I say no because I’m sure that he could spend this money better elsewhere however his mum and others say it’s his money to waste and to say he is desperate for this thing is a real understatement.

Opinions sought please.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Always make my kids save half and they’re allowed to do whatever they want with the other half

RealMan
    Free Member

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/nerf-n-strke-longshot-cs-6-/200580707157?pt=UK_Toys_Games_Outdoor_Toys_ET&hash=item2eb38ab355

Make him give you £75, buy that for him. When he’s bored with it in a week and regretting buying it, give him £30 back and tell him you told him so. Everybody wins.

br
    Free Member

Its his money, and if it is ‘wasted’, he’ll learn the lesson.

I have the same ‘thoughts’ with my 12 year old, and try and ‘steer’ him – but you can only ‘steer’.

Northwind

Probably not entirely helpful, but that’s one kickass toy gun.

pastcaring
    Free Member

my dad made me buy a grifter, he wouldn’t let me buy the bmx that i wanted. MY money, aged 11 🙁

do you want to b that kinda dad? well do ya? 😆 😆

demonracer

I’d let him have it … Actually quite tempted myself now! 49.99 at toys r us it seems!

mmb
    Free Member

my kids have complete control over there own money and as previously mentioned a little guidance goes a long way…. but not at first! it will take a few mistakes for them to see that there is usually a better way to spend the money and if you go for the toys’r’us deal he’ll think you’re the man as he’ll still have another £50 to spend! and as such will be more willing to listen next time.

ampthill

Save some splurge some

I mean a bikes just a toy…

richmars

Been there with my son, he’s just spent a bit less on some Nerf kit. I think it’s best just to get him to wait a few days to think it over, then let him buy. Children need to learn the value of money, and making a mistake is a good way. I’m sure he’ll enjoy it, but maybe not as much as he thinks he will. Next time he may think a bit longer before spending a lot on something.

TooTall
    Free Member

Tell me you always make him bank some birthday / Christmas money – you do don’t you? Learning about money includes teaching kids to save. That has to be a better lesson than letting him spunk it on a toy and seeing his regret in a months time.

rustler
    Free Member

My brother said it galled him to see his daughter splurdge £130 on some ugg boots. But it was her money, saved up over a good while.

GrahamA
    Free Member

£30 at Play if it makes it seem more affordable

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Question regarding a 10 year old and birthday money’ is closed to new replies.