• This topic has 15 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Jase.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Question for XC MTB and CX racers
  • kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

What do you reckon, if any would be the dis-advantage performance wise of a good carbon hardtail 29er (with locked out front sus forks)with 1.5 tyres against a good carbon cross bike?

Toying with buying a carbon 29er and racing it in the forth coming cross season as I dont want to buy a cross bike but can use the 29er in not so technical MTB races as well.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Depends what level really.Near the back,not much.Near the front,quite a lot.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Good question, top ten regional.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Depends what level really.Near the back,not much.Near the front,quite a lot.

Good answer.

Rorschach
    Free Member

God knows then….I can’t see that far forward from the cheap seats.
    Single biggest advantage in cx is having 2 bikes (and someone to wash them) and tubs.

oldgit
    Free Member

I will say I’ve utilized the drops in a few races. Headwinds, long straights chases etc.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not much I’d say.

Not like you can’t tuck on flats.

Rorschach
    Free Member
    molgrips
    Free Member

Geometry? 29er a bit stronger and heavier than a CX bike? Higher COG on a 29er due to room for suspension travel?

GW
    Free Member

Dan Whitehead has won at cyclocross on a 29er hasn’t he?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

but can use the 29er in not so technical MTB races as well.

What about the technical ones?

LS
    Free Member

If you’ve got the legs then you’ll still be up there, but you’ll be making it harder for yourself. A cross bike is lighter, faster, and easier to carry.
    And as said above, it’s having two bikes that makes quite a difference when its muddy. Even regional races have quality in depth now so handicapping yourself in any way won’t help.

I’ve been in races where the winner has rinsed us on an MTB but he’d have been even further ahead on a cross bike….

Rorschach
    Free Member

Most of the top 10 in the nw league are either cat1 road,elite mtb or national trophy cx’ers! (including the current champion!!). I’d rather get a top 10 in cx than podium in a cat 2 road race!!

trickydisco
    Free Member

yea.. in bristol we regularly get simon richardson (in the tour of britain) and oli beckingsale turn up to races

LS
    Free Member

I know they are, I’ve won NW races before 😆
    I certainly wouldn’t have managed it on an MTB!

Jase
    Free Member

A guy from our club raced cx last year on a mtb at Hemel and I finished a good few places ahead of him.

He then got a cx bike for the next race and whooped by butt.

Make of that what you will.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Question for XC MTB and CX racers’ is closed to new replies.