• This topic has 56 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by mt.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Question for Tory voters
  • headfirst
    Free Member

How do you feel about Michael Gove? Do you fancy him as a future party leader and so potentially PM?

I ask this as I find it very difficult to be objective about the complete and utter ****.

And before you ask: yes, I am a teacher.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Who? Boris is next in line.

headfirst
    Free Member

Fair point 5th. This week’s New Statesman has a front cover headline “The Dream Ticket?” above a drawing of Boris and Gove outside No.10. On closer inspection it has Gove as Chancellor.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Anyone who declares themselves an admirer of Tony Blair loses my vote by default.

Having said that, I’ve never voted Tory, nor do I have any motivation for doing so.

chewkw
    Free Member

Well if it is not him then it will be others. Politicians are more or less the same all over except perhaps in a different party. No such thing as pleasing everyone …

Northwind

headfirst – Member

Fair point 5th. This week’s New Statesman has a front cover headline “The Dream Ticket?” above a drawing of Boris and Gove outside No.10

Too much cheese before bedtime, if you’re having dreams like that.

julianwilson
    Free Member

I would be delighted for Gove to be the new Conservative Leader, in the same way I was when IDS was. 😆
    …and in the same way I like to imagine that David Cameron kneels down before bed every night and thanks the lord for Ed Milliband.

allthepies
    Free Member

He’s my MP. A jolly good egg 🙂

footflaps

OK, I’m not a Tory Voter, but I can’t see Gove ever being leader (other than a stop gap in opposition like IDS). Boris could easily make PM and could garner some cross party support as he has a personality bigger than the conservative brand.

grum
    Free Member

This week’s New Statesman has a front cover headline “The Dream Ticket?” above a drawing of Boris and Gove outside No.10.

I’m glad my dreams don’t look like that.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Well I’m so worried about Gove I’m going to put money on him being PM so if it happens at least there’s an upside. Mate of mine put money on Boris, only got 3:1…

binners

I think the New Statesman has been eating too much cheese before bedtime!

Or they’re gatecrashing Ed Millibands dreams

jonba
    Free Member

You need to decide why you are picking a leader. Is it because they will lead the party in the direction you desire or because they will lead the party to victory. Boris has a good chance at the latter, I’m not sure Gove does. If you want an ideological leader then the two more obvious candidates have been leader but not successfully, Hague and IDS – neither have the leadership and appeal to win a general election though.

Before he lost the leadership bid I saw the other milliband as the obvious prime minister in waiting. The Tories are going to struggle in the next election and I’m sure they would have lost to David but to Ed I’m not so sure.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

as a simple point all teachers hate the education minister, it’s in the job description along with 3 months paid holiday and cheap ski trips 🙂

next leader no, but then I left the country. Perhaps Tony could come back for a side swap

whitegoodman
    Free Member

Had never voted tory in my life until the excesses of Blair and Brown forced it on me last go round, got that right then didn’t I? – Not.

Gove, tbh one of the better of a bad bunch, education badly needed a shake up, but he aint going to help them win, they didn’t make it last time and next time they’ll be in a world of worse problems.

I used to vote lib dem can’t see that happening again so it will be a wasted Green vote then, at least we got one in last time, if only the Greens would position themselves as the just left of centre party of choice they could make some considerable gains, but they like UKIP have got more than their fair share of nutters (including an ex wife of mine)muddying their cause.

grum
    Free Member

Gove, tbh one of the better of a bad bunch, education badly needed a shake up

😕

grahamg
    Free Member

The man is batshit insane.

binners

Sometimes I’m jealous of him though. The world must look lovely viewed through the prism of a 50’s grammar school utopia that never actually existed. Do you not sometimes find yourself yearning for such simplicity?

BermBandit
    Free Member

education badly needed a shake up

Really? I tell you what Education needs, and thats what Alex Ferguson gave Man U….. a long period of stability under someone who actually knows what they are talking about, and who will go out to bat for what is right, as opposed to what grabs cheap headlines in the Mail.

To continue the analogy, until it is taken off the political football pitch and dealt with sensibly and rationally it will only deteriorate, somewhat like a matchball that is in perpetual use.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Gove, tbh one of the better of a bad bunch, education badly needed a shake up

😉
    When I have decided which one offends me the most I will get back to you

piemonster

When I have decided which one offends me the most I will get back to you

😆

I’m going with the first one

Garry_Lager

The Utd analogy works just as well the other way – Fergie needed to end decades of underachievement when he arrived, and harder still, get Bryan Robson and Paul McGrath off the ale. Big shake up was needed at the time.

I think the era where a guy like Gove could be PM has passed. He’s not really equipped for the dog and pony show of modern mass media primeministerial politics. He could well go on to shape the ideology of the Tory party, though, as things stand at the moment. So he could be the defacto party leader in that sense.

mefty
    Free Member

Gove is a very effective minister as he get stuff done, not sure how effective he would be in the leadership role, my guess is less so as he would not be able to leave his minsters to get on with their job.

binners

He may well get stuff done. Its the stuff he’s getting done that’s the problem.

An education system based upon “they did this in the 50’s, before all this liberal nonsense ruined the country, so lets go back and do that again” is a slightly dubious way, to say the least, of equipping our offspring for the challenges of the 21st century

grahamg – Member

The man is batshit insane.

Yeah, that pretty much covers it! Christ only knows how much havoc he’d wreak, actually ‘getting things done’ while running the country

*shudders*

Junkyard
    Free Member

what stuff does he get done – he has had more climbs downs than any other minister, he speaks first and thinks later
    He has no charm as well so how on earth could he lead the nation?

Northwind

mefty – Member

Gove is a very effective minister as he get stuff done

There’s a monkey in my local zoo that’s an absolute master at throwing his own poo. Perhaps we should make him a minister too, he gets loads done.

thepurist

allthepies – Member

He’s my MP. A jolly good egg complete and total twunt in every regard that got parachuted in to a safe seat so he could cosy up with CMD

FTFY. My MP too. 👿

Coyote
    Free Member

How exactly? Genuine question, I’d really appreciate your evidence and guidance on what approach should be taken. I’d also like you to qualify the above with relevant experience of the education system. Ex-pupil status does not count.

Even the thought of Gove makes my piss boil.

mefty
    Free Member

The point being that if you are a minister, you job is to implement your policy, whether you agree or not with that policy, you should still be able to evaluate someone’s effectiveness dispassionately. He has certainly changed his mind on a couple of things, but personally I think this is a good sign and I don’t share the media’s fixation with U-turns.

Many schools can ignore the National Curriculum.

grum
    Free Member

Harold Shipman was a highly effective murderer. Not sure what your point is really.

Northwind

mefty – Member

The point being that if you are a minister, you job is to implement your policy, whether you agree or not with that policy, you should still be able to evaluate someone’s effectiveness dispassionately

If the entire job was just implementation, perhaps- but they set the policies they implement. It’s no use being highly effective at implementing a shit plan, any more than it’s any use coming up with great plans you’ll never implement – we’ve got loads of people like this in my company and I’d like to kill them all with a brick in a sock.

binners

He has certainly changed his mind on a couple of things, but personally I think this is a good sign and I don’t share the media’s fixation with U-turns.

It seems to me that what he does is announce any thought that pops into his head as a policy, without consulting anyone at all about whether its either possible, or remotely desirable

I’m sure he couldn’t care less about the latter, as its his idea, and therefore bound to be utter genius. But when people who are far more knowledgeable than him point out the practical problems, he backtracks

I know. As from tomorrow afternoon, lets scrap GCSE’s!!! I don’t know what to replace them with, but whatever I decide is bound to be the greatest step forward the world of education has ever witnessed. Make it so, underlings!!!!

The bloke is an absolute idiot, who seems to think he’s the cleverest person ever to walk the earth. A dangerous combination, if ever there was one

Junkyard
    Free Member

He has certainly changed his mind on a couple of things, but personally I think this is a good sign and I don’t share the media’s fixation with U-turns.

i think accepting you are wrong is fine
    However to do large grandiose ideas about what you are going to do to shake up the education systems to then have to climb down when everyone point out how **** stupid you are being is not a sign of strength ..it is a sign of stupidity mixed with hubris.

It would be better if he say consulted first and then came up with actual workable plans rather than launch the ECB then have to realise it was crap.

U turns are not always bad but having to do lots is

mefty
    Free Member

Many of his policies seem pretty sensible to me.

He has made it much easier to become an academy school and has created a framework for free schools, both of which give more influence to teachers over the running of schools, which is surely leaving stuff to experts.

He is moving teacher training to Teching Schools which is consistent with how most professions train their staff.

binners

OI! Bugger off JY! Coming on here so we end up in broad agreement with each other

Be off with you back to the Pikey thread so we can start childishly bickering again!! 😉

binners

He has made it much easier to become an academy school and has created a framework for free schools, both of which give more influence to teachers the private education providers he’ll be bringing in to run them in a couple of years, over the running of schools, which is surely leaving stuff to experts.

FTFY

ormondroyd
    Free Member

ormondroyd
    Free Member

His attack on “Mr Men history teaching” was utterly unfounded and pretty well savaged by the teacher he targeted: http://www.activehistory.co.uk/gove.php

ac282

As above, he’s great at making statements which grab headlines. Unfortunately ministers are supposed to come up with workable policies.

BermBandit
    Free Member

Be off with you back to the Pikey thread so we can start childishly bickering again!!

…..Pikey Thread ???? 😯

……. not yet closed????? 😯 😯

………Where???? 😯

………..I want some of that!!! (my prejudices are getting dusty)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Question for Tory voters’ is closed to new replies.