Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Question for the xc racers.
  • rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Popped a new Bontrager tlr tyre on this morning without sealant just to see how it looked. It’s only lost 10psi throughout the day and of course feels lovely and light without the added weight of sealant.

Any racers taking a chance and running your tubless ready tyres dry or with just a tiny dash of sealant to seal the beads?

radoggair
    Free Member

its when you get little thorns etc in them that the sealant is needed. 60ml, 60g of sealant aint exactly gonna cause you to lose a race

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Sometimes a couple of seconds over an hour and a half can cause you to lose a race. Probably 99.9% of the time you won’t ride over a thorn so the sealant is redundant weight.
    Just wondering if anyone was doing it.

cp

And a thorn would cost you the entire race, never mind a position…

radoggair
    Free Member

since alot of top pro’s are running tubs it doesn’t matter though since there wheelset would be 100’s g lighter than yours

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

I run sealant, and every other Elite XC rider I know runs sealant too. (Including in their tubs, which are getting ever more common).

Which result would my team prefer? Getting outsprinted because I’m carrying an extra 60g, or having to fix a flat or DNF?

njee20
    Free Member

Never considered it, echo Chris’s comments.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies guys, I was hoping you’d turn up.
    Must say I’m very impressed how these tyres are holding up by themselves (which is why I’ve gone to Bonty, was having a ‘mare with my new American Classic wheels and Schwalbes). Always have put sealant in and will continue to do so. Doesn’t hurt to ask though.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Question for the xc racers.’ is closed to new replies.