Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Question For The Runners – Recovering Blister Protection.
  • Jamie
    Free Member

So I have a nearly healed blister on my heel. Skin is still a bit tender, but want to be able to run still. I bought some Sainsbury’s own blister plasters figuring they, and paired with a coat of vaseline, would suffice to keep the area protected. Anyway, just got back from a 7mile run and the bloody thing has fallen off.

My question is, what else can I use to protect the area and still run? Are brand name ones, like Compeed, worth the extra? i.e will they stay on at such high speeds 😉

sweepy
    Free Member

If you get compeed on right they seem to stay for ages, if you dont they stick to your socks like shit to a blanket.

julianwilson
    Free Member

I read that your choice of dressing plus gaffa tape over the whole lot is good: socks and shoes slide over gaffa tape and it doesn’t ruck up or rub off.

Pyro

Gaffer works well, other choice is Vulkan tape (climber’s finger tape). I tend to puncture and drain the blister then disinfect with tea tree oil and tape over it with Vulkan and Melolin if I need it.
    To be honest, nothing sticks well on your feet, though. Too sweaty an area for good adhesion.

captain-slow
    Free Member

Compeed worth the money. Ten days ago bought some Scholl ones. Lasted a couple of days of normal walking around. Bought Compeed and put them on Thursday. Played rugby Saturday and they are still on. Wish I had bought Compeed in first place.

organic355
    Free Member

compeed with zinc oxide tape on top

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Compeed worth it but gaffer tape + a little cotton wool is my dressing of choice if I cut myself (fingers) at the beginning of a day and need to keep working. Anything else just ends up falling off. Can be a bit painful come removal though. 😐

Jamie
    Free Member

Being a tight ass, I have ordered some gaffa tape. Cheers all.

t_i_m
    Free Member

Blimey, some pretty extreme options there!
    For an emergency repair (i.e. enabling you to do a long run rather than allowing it to heal), I’ve heard that superglue and gaffer tape works. NB: i’ve never tried it, and am not 100% convinced.

For a continuing training approach, I found that micropore surgical tape was good. I also found that it is very good for preventing blisters in the first place, esp when running in the wet. Wrap it around the foot, covering the area prone to blistering, obviously.
    It will stop any rubbing directly on the skin and it’s breathable. Unlike gaffer tape, it isn’t too sticky, so will come off afterwards without causing any damage.

finally, dont bother buying special blister plasters. they’re rubbish.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Moleskin.

emsz
    Free Member

I use socks that have two socks built into one, supposed to stop you getting blisters, and I’ve never had one !

seanoc
    Free Member

If the blister has popped, carefully remove the excess skin with some surgical scissors (or some sterile nail scissors). Cover the area with Zinc Oxide tape makeing sure it’s done correctly; if is looks right (nice and tidy) it probably is.

wrecker
    Free Member

Zinc oxide is ace but shop around for the white stuff. The pink tape is terrible. To add to seanocs post, clean the ex-blister thoroughly with alcohol wipes before applying the tape.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Compeed until totally healed, then Zinc oxide tape over the intact, but still fragile area until you can run without it! Just seen a patient who badly blistered her toe whilst out walking and dressed it with zinc oxice tape only, after ‘popping’ the blister and soaking it in dettol…

She is having it amputated next week! 😯

Jamie
    Free Member

She is having it amputated next week!

😯

duckers
    Free Member

A large roll of MTFU should do the trick.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I normally pass a disinfected needle and cotton through the blister cutting the cotton off so it hangs out of both sides of the blister acting as a wick. Zinc tape over the top stops it rubbing and they heal up very quickly with no pain. Was shown this from an Army medic during training in new boot and it always worked a treat and the wife now uses it too.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Question For The Runners – Recovering Blister Protection.’ is closed to new replies.