Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Question for the ladies (or men with other halfs that mtb.)
  • tinker-belle
    Free Member

I’m currently 5 months pregnant, and have recently got back into mtb’ing after a knee injury last year. I’ve realised how much I actually missed it and how much I enjoy being out on the trails

My question is at what stage is it be sensible to actually slow down, I’m obviously concerned about any damage I may do to TB junior.

So when did you (or your SO) stop riding, or when did you significantly slow down and start sticking to tow paths?

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

I’ve never got pregnant, and don’t plan to either………..however, if I was I’d definitely follow the inspiration of a lady I met once on Follow the Dog at Cannock. 8 months pregnant and pootling round the red route! I was most impressed!

tinker-belle
    Free Member

8 Months! I’m seriously impressed – without too much gory detail I was worried the poor thing would either get concussion against my ribs, or spend the next few days trying to figure out which way was up 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ourmaninthenorth

tinker-belle – congratulations..!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Babies are well padded in there – floating in their own pee :o)

tinker-belle
    Free Member

Thanks very much – watch this space for the next generation GB ladies MTB champ 😆

Taz

Congratulations!

My wife kept going off road until ~ 7.5 months. She took it easy and only stopped as the riding position became way too uncomfortable as the bump grew

Kept doing spin classes pretty much until full term!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

floating in their own pee

Whereas you seem quite content to wallow in yours, but lack the excuse that you are enwombed…

gusamc
    Free Member

a mate rode horses up to 8ish months, however she has pretty large stretch marks, it was suggested that these may have been ‘assisted’ by the the skin being more stretched by the weight weight being under load on the horse

pedalhead
    Free Member

Congratulations! To be honest I think riding a mountain bike off road when 8 months pregnant is pretty stupid, but each to their own I suppose. It’s not about the jiggling, it’s about the possibility of crashing. Go with whatever you feel comfortable doing…my wife stopped riding (horses) straight away with baby #1, but did keep going for a few months with #2. At 8 months she didn’t want to walk very far, let alone get on a horse/bike!

cinnamon_girl

Tinkerbelle – congratulations!

I was going to reply earlier but didn’t want to sound negative about your question. As it is, I pretty much agree with what pedalhead has written.

I wasn’t riding bikes when I was pregnant but did ride horses. I was having jumping lessons when around 3 months pregnant, didn’t get my position quite right and very nearly came off. That was the last time I rode a horse whilst pregnant. Let’s face it, pregnancy lasts for around 9 months – is that really such a long time?

Reckon walking is seriously under-rated, I would do that instead.

tinker-belle
    Free Member

Thanks all – I think the 8 month examples held up are amazing, but I seriously doubt I would get that far.

I think I may start limiting my rides to the easier less stupid stuff, and enjoy the odd walk instead.

I must admit crashing is a serious concern, and as you have said what is 9 months really, when you look at the big picture

sharki
    Free Member

Personally i’d like you to slow down from now on.., no harm in doing things you are comfortable and confident on, but lower the risks of a big offs

Mental fitness as well as staying healthy is important, but avoid over heating needs to be avoided.
    Any bleeding, unreasonable shortness of breath (more than usual) and feeling uncomfortable should be taken as a warning and don’t ride at all if this happens.

Keep riding steady as long as you want, but the moment you start to wonder if it’s not good for baby and you, stop doing it, your concentration levels will be low and may risk incident….so find some gentle canal paths, or fire roads to bimble along just to keep the legs turning.

Take advise from you doctor/midwife.

Think it was Sacha who rode well into her pregnacy, bless her.

DickBarton

My wife stopped at 7 months…but was mainly due to not getting comfy on the saddle due to the bump!

Got a mate whose wife was sea kayaking the day before giving birth so exercise is possible, just not prolonged or extended – don’t push yourself too hard as it also has an affect on the baby…heart rate needs to stay below 130 (I think) for some reason or other but I can’t recall what.

london_lady
    Free Member

My sister gave up mountain biking when pregnant but continued to do road riding and fell walking. Watch your heart rate though – the general opinion is to keep your heart rate under 140bpm.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Only 4 months to go, take a rest!! The trails will still be there!

tinker-belle
    Free Member

I don’t plan to stop doing everything, but some good advice about taking it easy – I didn’t know about the heart rate so I will keep an eye on that to make sure I’m not over doing it in future.

I think the idea of slow and steady, and nothing too stupid is a very good one.

puppypower
    Free Member

Congrats!
    My last ride was the Penhydd trail, Afan at 7 months but I seriouly cut down from 5. I was taking it pretty easy and at this stage it was starting to get hard work and uncomfy.
    I carried on cycling round town til 40 weeks, the last week I stopped and walked everywhere in the hope it would start something happening!
    I am sure my HR went above 140 sometimes but I generally took it easy.

sharki
    Free Member

Perhaps i should get pregnant then, give A&E a break from me…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

My view – being pregnant does not make you ill or an invalid. do whatever feels sensible. Take it easy and keep the wheels on the ground. go for the less gnarly option

Hairychested
    Free Member

My wife stopped cycling after 6th month, uncomfortable she was she said and stopped. Completely. Until about a year and a half later.
    Do whatever feels best but it is no longer about you.
    [edit]Was meaning to say not only about you[/edit]

watly_biker
    Free Member

Congratulations!
    I stopped fairly early on – found it uncomfortable and had gone over the handlebars at very early stages when I didn;t realise I was pregnant.
    As most people have said take it easy and be sensible – if you feel comfortable and keep your HR low its fine.
    For me the thought of doing a boring flat slow ride meant riding didn’t seem much fun anyway and I didn;t want to be tempted into going too fast or get my HR too high.
    I preferred swimming – (esp later on when mobility is a luxury!)and walking.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Congrats. I may be wrong, but presumably you could have an entertaining and pleasant red route or bridleway ride without being at any real risk of falling off. Just take it gently and pause often for cake. 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Whereas you seem quite content to wallow in yours

cheers RB – I’ve found as one gets older personal hygiene becomes unnecessary :o)

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I preferred swimming

Surely one of the best forms of excercise all round. My local pool has an expectant mums class. I’ve heard of others that pipe soothing music underwater!

sharki – Member
    Perhaps i should get pregnant then

Well, you could utilise the bloating power of beer, to develop an ’empathy pouch’!

SFB- a mate of mine had Psoriasis (I think), and after becoming exasperated with several quite ineffectual treatments, he would apply some concoction that contained his own urine. His skin cleared up within a few weeks!

Travis

Congrats 😀
    My good lady is 5 months pregnant, and has stopped riding due to worrying of falling off, she has taken up swimming instead to keep her fitness up.

sharki
    Free Member

RB-All resent efforts to gain a paunch akin to a preggars lass has failed.

Beer, cake..i even tried intercourse once, but alas svelte and bald is all i’m destined to be it would appear.

So long as i keep active at least, 6 mths of intense guiness drinking and fastfood, put my waist size up to a snug 32..scary times indeedy….2months later all was well again.

heresjonny
    Free Member

My wife road her horse up to a week before she had both our children never did them any harm.

mudshark
    Free Member

There’s a wrestler called Klondike Kate who was still wrestling at 8 months gone – to ber fair she didn’t know that she was pregnant….

Bunnyhop

I would only do what you feel comfortable with.
    Watching your h.r. and not getting out of breath are important, as is not falling off.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

I took a tumble off my bike at 12wks pregnant.
    Bit of a shock, so that was the end of my riding during pregnancy.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Question for the ladies (or men with other halfs that mtb.)’ is closed to new replies.