Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Question for the fluid dynamics types
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

Imagine a differential pressure gauge with its H port connected to an air chamber and its
    L port to atmosphere. Air chamber pressure is constant at say 500 Pascals and the gauge indicates 500 Pa.

If the tube to the H port was constricted, for example by a variable clamp, what effect would this have on the
    gauge reading?

Thinking caps on!

IHN

Well, my 25 years old A level Physics knowledge makes me think it’ll go up slightly, as the volume in the entire system has reduced slightly with the constricting of the clamp.

IANAFDE

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

If the tube to the H port was constricted, for example by a variable clamp, what effect would this have on the
    gauge reading?

constricted but open?

perchypanther
    Free Member

All our base are belong to you?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

i think you would need to know the flow rate through the clamp

jimdubleyou

Are you changing the volume of the air chamber significantly?

I’d have to have it explained in words of less than two syllables why the pressure wouldn’t stay roughly the same if you’re not changing the volume…

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

the pd, would be measured between H at 500 Pa and the pressure just the other side of the clamp.
    You could treat this like an orifice late or venturi meter, but work backwards, if you know the flow rate, you can work out the pressure drop across the contraction

poly
    Free Member

There are no dynamics in your question. i.e. you’ve described a static system.

Nothing happens (other than the possibility that your constriction has changed the volume of the overall system by an appreciable amount).

Out of interest is the chamber at 500 Pa (i.e. a fairly good vacuum) or is it 500 Pa above atmospheric? Your questions says one thing and the gauge says another.

TheFlyingOx

There’ll be no flow as such across the constriction – the hp side of the gauge block should be a dead head against the internal diaphragm/piston, otherwise the thing wouldn’t work.

Would you expect a difference if the hp inlet tubing was 10mm rather than 6mm? Assuming the clamp only restricts the hp inlet and doesn’t close it, I reckon you may see tiny fluctuations in pressure as you adjust the clamp, but ultimately it will settle out and there will be zero difference in the displayed pressure differential.

derek_starship
    Free Member

The tube is constricted by say half.

The chamber is at +ve pressure.

I think the airborne ox has it.

Any other thoughts?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

If it’s a static system, with no air flow out then both will read the same pressure.

takisawa2

As above, it might flutter when the clamp is tightened/loosened, but it would balance itself again.

derek_starship
    Free Member

If squeezing the tube has only a momentary effect, is there any way I can simulate a pressure drop – i.e. kid the gauge that the pressure in the chamber has decreased?

(I’m worried about how stupid my question could make me appear!)

TheFlyingOx

Without knowing exactly what equipment you have available or what kind of gauge you’re working with, you could:
    a) lock in the pressure from the air chamber and then vent from the HP side of the gauge,
    b) increase the pressure in the LP side

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

so there is no flow in the system? then pressure each side of the clamp is equal so pd across….
    yeah Ox has it

derek_starship
    Free Member

TFO – b) sounds perfect.

Thank you all.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

If squeezing the tube has only a momentary effect, is there any way I can simulate a pressure drop – i.e. kid the gauge that the pressure in the chamber has decreased?

you could flatten the the tube over a length near the inlet, then nip the tube at the chamber side, then unflatten the tube

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Question for the fluid dynamics types’ is closed to new replies.