Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 180 total)
  • question for moderators- swearing on STW.
  • nickhit3
    Free Member

I’ve recently returned from a 7 day ban on this forum for swear filter avoidance. I have emailed asking for clarification on what this is but not had a response. Can someone detail this for me? I see a lot of swearing on the forum, ‘shit/piss/bastard etc’ is fine, using an asterisks is not it would seem and I feel that a 7 day total ban was entirely disproportionate. A 24hr ban would have sent the same message. In 20+ years of forum usage, I have only received this one ban. If i have caused offence I wholeheartedly apologise, but this enforcement seems draconian, flawed and a complete lottery.

footflaps

You should have opted for the Swearing Awareness Course they run….

perchypanther
    Free Member

*reported for foul language*

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oldtennisshoes

The first rule of swearing club….

wrightyson
    Free Member

Along with the “don’t question the unquestionable course”.
    You may receive further bans you silly **** 😆

wwaswas

just type the word. If it’s replaced with *’s that’s not avoidance if it isn’t then you’re good too.

Was the context of the avoidance a personal insult against another poster rather than just a general railing at how shitty the world is?

Stoner
    Free Member

In 20+ years of forum usage

this enforcement seems draconian, flawed and a complete lottery.

You can be an Old Hand or Naive.
    Not both.

nickhit3
    Free Member

Along with the “don’t question the unquestionable course”.
    You may receive further bans you silly ****

indeed, its a dangerous game i’m playing (it would seem) but i mention it with good intentions. I was pretty surprised to be banned that all.

jekkyl

a week! that is disproportionate.

kayla1
    Free Member

It’s weird. You can use shit, piss, arse, bastard, bollocks, fanny and cock but ****, **** and **** are all starred out.

****s 😆

prawny

I’ve found the best thing to do is just type it out, it’ll asterix itself if its not allowed.

I got a slap on the wrist for swear filter avoidance once, and it was only my own modesty that made me star it. **** it.

footflaps

I was pretty surprised to be banned that all.

All the best posters get banned. I’m still serving a life time ban for a post saying that the forum search didn’t work (no swearing or rudeness at all). This was on another MTB forum! I even got a personal email from the then STW web designer, complaining about my complaint.

nickhit3
    Free Member

Was the context of the avoidance a personal insult against another poster rather than just a general railing at how shitty the world is?

It was not directed at another individual. The swear was an ‘exasperated statement’ used in agreement with the OP of the thread that triggered the ban.

legend
    Free Member

As you’re already living dangerously, ask them why they close threads when bike companies are being stroppy

ossify

just type the word. If it’s replaced with *’s that’s not avoidance if it isn’t then you’re good too.

Wait so you’re allowed to have a word automatically replaced with stars but if you type the stars in the first place that’s swear filter avoidance?

confused

Does it hurt the swear filter’s feelings or something to be avoided like this? 😛

nickhit3
    Free Member

Not both.

Explain brexit voting demographics then.. 😉

scotroutes

wwaswas – Member

That.
    Don’t try to be clever to get round the filter. Type what you want and let the filter do its job.

Wait so you’re allowed to have a word automatically replaced with stars but if you type the stars in the first place that’s swear filter avoidance?

Nah, it’s usually things like replacing some letters with numbers and special characters.

nickhit3
    Free Member

confused

this is exactly my confusion

a week! that is disproportionate.

quite.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Top spongepokery. 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Well, someone had to.

Rorschach
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogrfAgbIfFo[/video]

jekkyl

I’d like to pretend to swear by using stars as I dare not post actual swears as I’m on a work system.
    Just don’t post rubbish poetry, they hate that and you will get a ban and chips will pop round your house to adminster a chop smack!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Not both.
    Explain brexit voting demographics then..

‘Hand’ presumably refers to some level of proficiency.

Therefore both old and naive is a goer. Can get fooled again.

nickhit3
    Free Member

for the record, I was told this was not my first offence for swearing. I received a email polite reminder some months ago to not mention the use of certain popular browser extensions which i was NOT aware was verboten. I was guilty in that instance. I was then banned for 7 days for ‘repeated swear filter avoidance’. No evidence was supplied of my errors. I was just left confused as to what constituted avoidance.

replies above, have clarified this. thank you.

GrahamS

I am likewise confused. Asterisking out a word doesn’t sound like “swear filter avoidance” it sounds more like “doing the swear filters job for it to make sure it doesn’t accidentally slip through”

e.g. There’s been a long tradition of replacing swears with symbol characters (Grawlixes) in comics and cartoons.

To me “swear filter avoidance” is when someone modifies the word so the filter misses it but everyone can still clearly read it, like replacing one S with $.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Basically doing the job of the swear filter is not allowed, i.e. using your own asterisks, even if the result is the same.

Though was puzzled at getting a whole post deleted because of it.

nickhit3
    Free Member

‘Hand’ presumably refers to some level of proficiency.

i am good at swearing, is this what you mean?

/s

as others seemingly are pointing out, there is a flaw in how this banning is metered out in relation to ‘swear avoidance’

If i knew I could have just typed out the entire swearword, and not more onerously substitute letters for asterisks, then i would have done that. To my knowledge this is not detailed anywhere.

Banning for 7 days for swearing when actually typing the swearword in full would not have instigated a ban is weird and irksome.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Does seem odd, but then there are plenty of descriptive words in the English language more apt at describing frustration other than swear words.

But a well placed swear word does indeed add gravity to the sentence.

Don’t question nor try to avoid, type what you mean and let the swear filter do it’s wiggle.

How long will this thread last? If any of the others on the same subject are to be considered then not that long.

ferrals
    Free Member

Nah, it’s things like replacing some letters with numbers and special characters.

I$ th@t jv$t f0r $w€ar1ng 0r i$ 1t a g€ner@l d1$lik€ 0f $uch t0mf00l€ry?

perchypanther
    Free Member

I struggle with long sentences 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

I have no useful contribution to make

munrobiker
    Free Member

Just write as you would normally – properly bad swearwords will get starred out, and if you’ve got too many of them then you maybe ought to rein it in IRL too.

Trimix
    Free Member

Just make up a word that will be understood as a banned word by its context.

Eventually it will catch on and then those words will be banned.

Its like an arms race but with harmless words 🙂

scotroutes

Belgium

Stoner
    Free Member

Fudge you Trimix!

jekkyl

a la Billy Connolly?

geddafur ya basser!

nickhit3
    Free Member

But a well placed swear word does indeed add gravity to the sentence.

that’s all it was, genuinely.

I am aware it was lazy language, Im not in school anymore. But to be honest i use a forum about bikes and nonsense to unwind like i assume most here (i know, the irony..) not to have my language pithily deconstructed by some one who loves a bit of finger waggling.

GrahamS

Before someone else does!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmRTUNh1vPo[/video]

maccruiskeen

confused

the filter replaces any filtered swear with four stars, regardless of the size or shape of the word its filtering. Applying your own censorship but retaining the -ing or the -ed or keeping the initial f, c, w or whatever circumvents that filtering by alluding more to whats being self-censored than the filter would do.

Nico
    Free Member

If i have caused offence I wholeheartedly apologise

Fixed that for you.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 180 total)

The topic ‘question for moderators- swearing on STW.’ is closed to new replies.