Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • question for mcmoonter or other wood types!… wood for outdoor structures
  • scotia
    Free Member

Hello!

Having admired the many posts from mcmoonter, stoner etc im after some advice please..

Looking to make a simple ‘cover’ to attach to the carport to store things like bikes and other bits of kit. This will be a wooden structure anchored to the paving slabs and fixed to the carport itself. The idea is wooden framework and then clad with a light coloured metal (corrugated or the like) to make it inkeeping with the neighbourhood.

The question is for the wood – do you ask for treated wood at the merchants? Is it easy to find? Or do you treat after the build?

ok thanks in advance,

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Lately I’ve been using 4×4 fence posts from my local timber merchant. You can get them in ten foot lengths, which allows you to bury them a couple of feet down and still have eight feet above ground to work with. I expect the posts are treated in some way.

I usually build off them with 4x2s. That should be plenty strong enough for your needs.

scotia
    Free Member

merci beaucoup

Stoner
    Free Member

scotia – if you’re anchoring to the paving slabs you can use a post shoe that can be bolted to the slab – use a resin.

http://www.fencestore.co.uk/fencing-accessories/post-supports/powapost/bolt-down-shoe-100x100mm-post-support

They are sized perfectly for x100mm square treated/dipped 4″ posts from your builder’s merchant as mcmoonter suggests. Save’s digging holes and allows for easy removal. <10′ are much cheaper per metre too.

Rockape63
    Free Member

100mm is too chunky for what you need, so get the 75mm version.

Personally I wouldn’t use them, I would buy 100 x47mm timber and afix to the slabs using metal ‘L’ brackets which could be invisible from the outside and cover with material mentioned.

qwerty
    Free Member

Use tanalised timber.

scotia
    Free Member

ta guys, good advice. Yup i was thinking of connecting to the paving slabs with a bracket. Just in the middle of designing the sliding door..!

wrightyson
    Free Member

First sign of a good wind and it’ll rag the slabs clean up!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If it’s built using substantial timber it’ll be fine. My 12×10 shed just sits on a concrete base, and it hasn’t blown away yet.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘question for mcmoonter or other wood types!… wood for outdoor structures’ is closed to new replies.