• This topic has 60 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by juan.
Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Question for experienced motorcyclists ONLY
  • Northwind

juan – Member

Ok in this case best = best fitted, there is no difference between a 150£ Casberg and a 800£ Arai protection wise, they all pass the same tests.

Well… That’s not a given, they all meet the target but that doesn’t mean some don’t exceed the target by more than others. Though o’course price is no guarantee of protection and unfortunately there’s no way for a punter to know for sure which are best. Weight also contributes to safety and cheap helmets are generally heavier.

But there’s also build quality and aftercare… I had a midrange HJC which was functional, but heavy, a little uncomfortable, and wore out very quickly- after a year it was junk. Daily use, but still.

So I got the cheapest Arai, which was about twice as expensive but lighter, far comfier, and when I crashed in it hard enough to think it was dead, Arai checked it for me and confirmed it safe (and replaced the strap and pads too, and retouched the paint) all for free. So 4 years later I was still wearing it. Worked out cheaper in the long run and for all of those rides it was a nicer place to put my head.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

I would learn no problem.Just dont go crazy once you get on a big bike.
    Been riding for 32 years its more dangerous now not because of the bikes because people are more preoccupied while they are driving.
    No different to cycling on the road these days.Bigger bike will get you away from trouble over a 125.Could go greenlaning more relaxing just muddyer.

mattstreet

Just started to do the same myself – did my CBT last Saturday (so now road lethal) and starting proper training on Saturday 🙂

Have a few bad habits picked up from car driving and cycling (forgetting to turn off indicators and riding too far to the left) – really having good fun! Have to keep your wits about you, but looking forward to getting the full license!

Am in the SE too (Hants/Berks), and would happily the folks I’m learning with… if you’re interested.

TrekEX8
    Free Member

I feel far more vulnerable on a pedal bike than motorbike!

Most of my annoyance on a road bike comes from motorists who just can’t overtake – that rarely happens on a motorbike.

But you do need the right training and the right attitude.

br
    Free Member

I’ve been riding 7 years. I pretty much echo the points everyone has made. Buy the best helmet you can afford, textile gear is better than leather (and cheaper), and bigger bikes are far easier to ride than little ones.

No, textile is not better than leather – but for someone just starting on a 125, textile is a better ‘option’ than leather. And I’ve pretty much had every quality level of helmets, from full custom made-to-measure through to £20 poly FF’s – if it doesn’t fit I don’t care how cheap it is; but its best to go for a ‘name’ in a sale.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Unlike bicycle helmets (which aren’t required by law to conform to any standard in the UK), motorbike helmets used on the road must:

meet British Standard BS 6658:1985 and carry the BSI Kitemark

meet UNECE Regulation 22.05

meet a European Economic Area member standard offering at least the same safety and protection as BS 6658:1985, and carry a mark equivalent to the BSI Kitemark

However, not all helmets are created equally and higher price isn’t synonymous with higher protection.

Have a look here http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/ before justifying an Arai with “what price you head”…

I’d love to see a similar scheme for bicycle helmets but it won’t happen for obvious reasons 🙂

juan
    Free Member

Yeah but then, for the price of an arai, you could probably get fully kitted from something not to expensive like franck thomas or furygan in the sales and that includes helmet 😉 I know where you come from, but IMHO, it’s far more important to get the whole package (jacket, boots, gloves, helmet and trousers) even mid range than just a shiny helmet. Worst case scenario you get yourself a decent lid one or two years after, and keep the first one as commuter. Plus it’s unlikely that he’ll be a stupid as me and rides 700kms in one day 😉

singlecrack
    Free Member

Having ridden a fair few times in Europe ..( which seems to be biking heaven) when coming back to the UK ……I think why bother riding on the road in this very over crowded country especially with the attitude of most car drivers ….I see the appeal in track days but not road riding for pleasure ….all IMHO of course.

orangetoaster
    Free Member

I passed test in 2007. Brilliant, brilliant fun.

Very practical way to travel and eco too.

Seriously consider trying a trailbike type of motorcycle.

They have great roadpresence and riding position. This is superb for filtering through traffic and vision.

I strongly reccomend taking your bike on some legal byways with responsible company. You’ll learn what it’s like to be on a slippy surface at a low speed (never over 25mph on a byway). Finding out what it’s like to have the front wheel lose grip whilst riding a byway will prepare you for when it happens on a patch of unseen diesel etc on the tarmac.

I learnt more about riding in on month of green laning than I did in a year of tarmac riding. Having a 25 mile commute on rural B roads these skills have saved me countless times. Plenty of unexpected mud on the tarmac!

firestarter
    Free Member

Buy the best helmet you can afford, textile gear is better than leather (and cheaper), and bigger bikes are far easier to ride than little ones.

Buy the helmet that fits best and not sure where textiles are better than leathers comes from I have both, textile for rubbish weather and leathers for rest of time, and I know which I’d rather have on , and its not the waterproof stuff lol

takisawa2

I went from a KMX125 to a GSX600F, but the GSF was more of a tourer, not a loony sports bike. My confidence on the road improved, I think, due to the increased road presence of a bigger bike. But for commuting in traffic the higher riding position of the 125 was much better. I’ve not ridden a bike with an engine for 10yrs though, things have probably changed.
    Keep looking out for a winter project though… 😉

Northwind

juan – Member

Yeah but then, for the price of an arai, you could probably get fully kitted from something not to expensive like franck thomas or furygan in the sales and that includes helmet

£200 for a Chaser, could just about get a full set for that much but it’d be scraping the barrel (even for terrible shit like Frank Thomas)

Mind you I’m not neccesarily recommending an Arai y’understand, just commenting on the safety and value side.

nickhart
    Free Member

I passed my test nearly twenty years ago now but had sixteen without a bike, long story. I bought a bike this summer and love it, use it for commuting and the odd run into the peaks, but I plan bigger trips on it. Haven’t once felt that I’ve made the wrong decision.
    There is only one rule to riding on the road, same as cycling, assume every f****r is trying to kill you including the leaves on the Tarmac.
    My commute home has gone from being twenty minutes through Sheffield to being forty minutes round Sheffield including the strines and moscar 😀

DaveRambo

I passed my test just before the law changed.
    Up until then I’d been a mad cyclist, riding too fast, broken collar and wrist etc.

I would repeat what most others have said.
    Get lots of training.

I did an intensive course and took the option of 2 extra days to ‘just go riding’ with the instructor and it was the best thing I did.

I bought a Bandit 600 as my first bike and it scared the hell out of me (well it’s potential did), but it made me respect the power and ride well within my skills.
    A 125 is dangerous IMO, a bigger bike has the power and more to keep up in traffic, the brakes to stop and more of a presence.

I’ve ridden for about 20 years, now on a 1250 Bandit, always assume the worst and never had a close shave.

Passing my test all those years ago was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. Buy the best kit you can afford ( it’s not cheap you know) and enjoy.

winston
    Free Member

Tried on about 15 helmets – only one fitted! Shark Speed R (white obviously)

Also bought BKS ventura Jacket, RST Ventilator Jeans , RST Boots and Richa Gloves plus two zero hi-vis vest

Even with a hefty discount was more than i wanted to spend! Still stuff should last to my next bike as long as I do, from what you are saying

Take all your points on training and will certainly get some but will have to unlearn some bad habits as little CBF is arriving tomorrow and can’t wait to get on it

totally get wet leaves, drain covers, mud, diesel, cars, lorries and deer are all out to get me

Will take care

charliedontsurf

My advice is get a good hi viz vest, and always use it.
    They are like a magic non-invisibility cloak.

I had a lovely ktm 950sm, nice leathers, and would ruin my cool look with the hi viz vest… But as soon as I forgot it, within 3 miles I put a dent in a car door that pulled out.

After my friend and mechanic died on a road bicycle… I hi viz gilet it on the bicycle too now.

klumpy
    Free Member

I’ve been riding for 19 years (when the hell did that happen!?!) and it’s a better time than it was in some ways, worse in others.

Better because motorbikes are more mainstream. More people are using midrange twins for their commute so more people understand bikes and everyone’s ‘coming to terms’ with them, due in part to “Think Bike” and similar campaigns. Worse, cos the police forgot their half of the unspoken deal we had; we’ll go easy in the towns and villages, they generally leave us alone on a quiet Sunday road.

I still commute by bike (and enjoy it) but riding purely for fun only happens on a MX/Enduro track. If my main bike was the KTM Duke I lust after I could ride on the roads for fun again, cos they ain’t that quick. 🙂

craigxxl
    Free Member

I gave up motorbikes after nearly been taken out by yet another women who thought it was more important to text than look where she was driving. In all my time riding bikes I felt safer around London than anywhere else. Other motorists in London seem to realise that if they cut you up then they will loose a mirror or need a panel beater and allow you a bit of space to make progress. Around Leeds they just tend to drive with their brains in neutral and thumbs wedged firmly up their backsides.
    I’m now in the position where I am looking at getting another bike despite my previous comments and waiting to see what the new KTM Adventure will bring.

Gotama
    Free Member

Had an SV650 as my first bike, no issues with the power, goes as fast as you twist the throttle and as has been said you can get out of situations, especially as i’m a bit of a lump weight wise. So i would say don’t be scared of a bigger bike. I didn’t get on with the drop bars on it though. Switched to a supermoto after that as i used it for london commuting, absolute blast to ride. So i would say if you’re going for a decent size bike try something like a Suzuki Bandit, a Honda Hornet etc as they have bars more akin to mtb and for the less experienced are probably easier to maneuvre. Sorry, there is a technical term for the bars but it escapes me. If you’re only going to use it for short jaunts then definitely try a supermoto. I had a KTM 625, a 660 and a 950. All brilliant fun, especially the 660.

If you’re using it to commute in heavy traffic areas so you’re filtering a lot i’d also suggest a loud can. Getting the 660 with a Akra titanium race exhaust was like jesus parting the waves. Sounds lovely as well.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I ride an R1, substantially quicker than a previous posters 600, and have never accidentally hit 120 due to inattention. Did you fall asleep at the bars and slump forward, fully opening the throttle or something?!

I’ve ridden 20 years. Munqe Chick recently did DA and rides an SV. Whilst I naturally worry about her she is a better biker than a car driver, having cycled since a kid she has really good awareness and anticipation. We don’t like to admit it but many bike accidents are rider error. Have the right attitude and you should be fine.

juan
    Free Member

Sorry, there is a technical term for the bars but it escapes me

Yeap it’s called clip on. And they are the best to “manoeuvre” bikes as they put your weight where it’s needed.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Question for experienced motorcyclists ONLY’ is closed to new replies.