Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Question for cattle farmers
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Riding on the chalk downs in Wiltshire a few weeks ago, I saw a very large field with a herd of cows in it, but it was not quite like any herd I’ve noticed before. Maybe a couple of dozen cows, at least one bull but maybe more, and a couple of dozen calves. Calves running around like little kids, mums standing around and guarding them from me (in the next field, on a trail). All one lovely happy family. Last week I turned back because of a similar but smaller herd on what must’ve been a different farm looking rather frisky and stampeding about in the same field I was in – their bull also had big f-off horns.

Is this some kind of hippie happy cow farming concept or is it part of cattle farming on the downs? Or have I just not noticed farmers doing this before? Seems to me when I see cattle it’s either cows on their own or with a few small calves, or a field full of heifers or bullocks the same age and no adults.

NewRetroTom

Sounds like a pretty normal suckler herd. They won’t always have bulls with them – only when the cows are in season.

molgrips
    Free Member

Was I right to be wary? Normally ride through cows regularly when there aren’t bulls and calves.

ski
    Free Member

A mother protecting a new born calf could have the potential to be very dangerous.

My boss always said the most dangerous animal on a farm was the farm owner 😉

That and a friendly bull, my Dad was badly crushed by a friendly Bull having a scratch against him and a post!

The only other time I was wary on our farm was after we let them out after winter, they would go mental for a hour or so, not safe to be in a field then.

Edit- Mol. Sounds like you did the right thing to be wary

GregMay
    Free Member

Not a bad thing to be wary. Less likely to have any issues. I tend to talk to them a bit, see how they respond. Then keep walking/riding and talking. Spent a chunk of yesterday doing so, not dead or squished.

NewRetroTom

Definitely right to be wary. A wise farm worker always carries a big stick when going into a field with suckler cows.

molgrips
    Free Member

How long before they get broken up then? Seems like lots of these trails on the map could be going through fields with these herds.

anagallis_arvensis

Molgrips. I dont understand your question?

A wise farm worker always carries a big stick when going into a field with suckler cows.

A stick will do **** all if the cow is pissed off!

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s alright a_a – NewRetroTom does 🙂

sweaman2
    Free Member

A wise farm worker always carries a big stick when going into a field with suckler cows.

Agreed. It’s been years since I worked on a cattle farm as my weekend job but my boss always had a big stick.

dudeofdoom

I was in a field of cows like this yesterday… Noticed horns on one half way thru … 🙁 Didn’t think it was a bull though can you get cows with horns ?

(I wasn’t exactly making massive eye contact with it to check its undercarriage )

bikebouy
    Free Member

We’ve got 65 herd, just had 17 calves and they’ve recently been let out of the shed from Winter hold up. If I was you I’d be VERY careful in any field right now that has both Mum and Baby in it.

Most farmers these days keep the herd in until they’ve calved, once the calves are about 8-10 weeks old and gotten used to suckling they’re let out in the fields. The effect this has on the calves is one of both Wonderment and Freedom, what it means for Mum is “Shite, wheres my little baby gone” & “who the chuffing ek is in my field where my Baby is”
    Then, well then they’ll bawl and the lot of them will protect the herd.
    If theres a Bull in there, you’d better be very quick to get out of the field.

Most normal farmers will have signs up this time of year “keep out, bull in field” thats a standard sign for most that don’t want you around.

Just be weary, keep your distance and admire the bouncing calves show.

HTH’s.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

For some reason when I talk to cows they are always greeted with a “Hello Miss” in a John Cleese voice. They seem to really like it.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I was walking along the downs between ditching and Lewes at the weekend and passed through 2 fields, one with smaller calves next to mums so I kept talking to let them know I was there as I approached but in another field there was a bull and his Hareem but oddly there was a group of calves on their own a fair distance from the main herd.
    What struck me was there was no warning signs or electric fence to separate the animals from a very busy bridleway on one of the most popular walking routes in the south east which I thought was a bit odd? A few people are killed or injured every year by cows usually crowding round small dogs which the idiotic owners try to rescue.
    The bull was a magnificent black beast and quite impressive.

lucky7500

My folks have a herd of 100 or so in the south, not far from where Molgrips was as it happens, and it’s pretty much as bikebouy says. Very sensible to be wary of cows that have young calves with them. They aren’t usually particularly aggressive but are protective, very heavy and can move surprisingly quickly!!
    Dudeofdoom, You can indeed get female cows with horns.

dudeofdoom

Cool……was having a mmm horns fk it’s a bull fk it’s a few of them moment

I don’t mind cows but you’ve got to give them a bit of respect due to the weight issue…and the numbers.

I used to know a friendly one which would run over to see me… Honestly you could feel the ground shake as she ran over…

I always thought that you were supposed to grab small dogs and hold close so the cows only saw a person .

timber

Worked in a parkland with sucklers, a bull and a bullock that fancied its chances. Saw the bull shoved through a gorse bush and the bullock off a ha-ha. No interest in us, but could have been collateral damage. The bullock won in the end as the bulls leg got injured beyond recovery so went for slaughter.

Working in the same parkland, neighbouring farm ran cows back from market up the road which sent the ones in the park running a lap of the park in which they took out the Land Rover door and bent the bulkhead.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Is there any truth in the story – Stand side by side so you look bigger to the coo?

molgrips
    Free Member

Noticed horns on one half way thru … Didn’t think it was a bull though can you get cows with horns ?

Bulls are easy to spot, they’re about twice the size* of the cows and pretty hard bastard looking.

* I mean weight, not height!

zokes
    Free Member

Be wary, but remain calm, and DON’T run. Holding your arms out wide to look bigger, and gently but firmly talking in a calm voice to them also is a good idea. Be obvious in how wide a berth you’re giving them and don’t do anything sudden. It can be a bit tense because of their size, but they’re not generally aggressive unless you do something stupid like have a dog running around or get between a mother and her calf. Bulls cannot be kept alone in a field which has a public right of way through it, but be aware that the bull might be on his own away from the rest of the herd in a larger field, which may create the same effect.

The worst are field with a bunch of ‘teenage’ bullocks in them IME. Daft, and somewhat lacking in awareness of their size.

The worst are field with a bunch of ‘teenage’ bullocks in them IME. Daft, and somewhat lacking in awareness of their size.

This is actually the exact opposite, and it causes problems with people down the line.

People experience bullocks running at them and crap themselves, only for the bullocks to stop and linger around (the bullocks only want food, they are absolutely no threat).

After the bullock experience, people in a field with cows and calves see a similar behavior and expect the same, this is not the case. Cows with calves are more dangerous than almost all bulls with the exception of a few (dairy, jersey and a few other).

You should precede with caution at all times when entering a field with cattle, they make us humans seem sensible.

Spin
    Free Member

I just tell them I’m a veggie. Never have any problems after that.

Drac

Carbonfibre…. Talks sense.

Bullocks are just a bit excitable about everything they pose little threat. Mothers with young calves are extremely protective I’m not convinced a trusty stick I’d going to stomp a rampaging heard of tonnes of beef.

molgrips
    Free Member

How do we recognise the dangerous types of bull? I might be able to spot a Jersey…

Moses

The dangerous ones run at you, fast.

(Written from a Wiltshire farm, but there’s only sheep & arable here)

senorj

The dangerous ones usually have a Borstal star tattooed above their eye. 😉

mrmoosehead
    Free Member

Most normal farmers will have signs up this time of year “keep out, bull in field” thats a standard sign for most that don’t want you around.

Which, if it is a public right of way, may well be an offence

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/public-rights-of-way-landowner-responsibilities

Livestock on land crossed by a public right of way: banned animals
    Bulls of recognised dairy breeds (Ayrshire, British Friesian, British Holstein, Dairy Shorthorn, Guernsey, Jersey and Kerry) that are over the age of 10 months are banned by law from fields containing a public right of way.

Bulls over 10 months of any other breed must be accompanied by cows or heifers when in fields with public access.

Make sure that any warning notices relating to a bull are displayed only when it is actually present in a field.

Horses may be kept loose in fields crossed by public rights of way, as long as they are not known to be dangerous.

You can be prosecuted if you keep any potentially dangerous animal on land crossed by a public right of way.

FWIW, I avoid livestock – cows and horses. Cows are big and stupid. Horses are big and not so stupid, but not clever enough, either. Clever enough to be neurotic, I reckon.

My daughter is utterly terrified of cows – proper quaking in her boots scared. Which means many public footpaths are inaccessible to us in the lower valleys

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

How do we recognise the dangerous types of bull? I might be able to spot a Jersey…

bulls generally bigger more bulk and muscles.

farmer born and bred, Id avoid any field with a bull. Rest harmless

Pigface
    Free Member

In general terms, Dairy bulls are bastards and beef bulls are pretty mellow, so if you are unlucky to come across a Friesan bull (black and white) out in a field then be very wary. Hereford bulls are pretty mellow as are Charolais and Limousin, Welsh Blacks, Aberdeen A’s but don’t trust any of them really.

Also if you are walking with a dog and cattle get interested let the dog go, 99% of the time it will get out of the field, lots of people who have been injured by cattle try and protect the dog.

Drac

You can recognise the dangerous ones as they are often picking their teeth on the remains of a hazel stick.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Bulls are easy to spot

Yeah, count the udders 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I can recognise bulls, it’s the dangerous varieties I wanted to know about.

martinhutch

farmer born and bred, Id avoid any field with a bull. Rest harmless

Just grab its ring – keep your bag up, or just run at it shouting! Show no fear!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I can recognise bulls, it’s the dangerous varieties I wanted to know about

I wouldn’t make decisions based on a stw says they are nice basis, lot of variables in there including if you look like a bag of grain.

There is plenty of good advice on the previous bull in field thread. Be sensible follow the advice and whatever you do make sure your jacket isn’t….

Drac

I wouldn’t make decisions based on a stw says they are nice basis, lot of variables in there including if you look like a bag of grain.

Ok.

There is plenty of good advice on the previous bull in field thread. Be sensible follow the advice and whatever you do make sure your jacket isn’t….

Wait what?

fourbanger
    Free Member

If they charge, trick is to punch them square between the eyes. Knock it clean out. Got to do it pretty hard mind.

anagallis_arvensis

Just grab its ring – keep your bag up, or just run at it shouting! Show no fear!

A coward you are…

welshfarmer

Years ago I had a young bull and hadn’t got around to putting the ring in his nose. One day he walked through the hedge to my neighbours field and was squaring up to his (much bigger bull). Lots of grunting, ground pawing and brow pushing. Faced with the situation I did the only thing I could think of at the time. I walked between them, stuck a thumb and forefinger up my bulls nostrils and squeezed. He was instantly placid and, leaving a gentle pressure on his nose I led him out of the field and back home.

I don’t recommend you try this when out and about.

Boris (for that was his name), went on to be one of the softest bulls you could imagine. On warm, summer days when he was led in the field with his girls I would often go and sit with him and lean against his belly. Poor old boy twisted his leg jumping a cow and couldn’t walk right so had to go 🙁

For what it is worth, most of my cattle had horns, except the bulls! All gone now sadly, the cost of TB testing on a small herd just became too prohibitive.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Question for cattle farmers’ is closed to new replies.