Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Question for Burton Fish/Powder board owners.
  • Earl
    Free Member

Just bought a Stepchild OG Powder board – effectively a poor-mans Burton Fish i.e. lots of setback and 30mm taper.

Questions are:
    1)With its lack of tail, can you tail slash with one of these?
    2)They look liek they are developed to turn fast through trees but how are they to ride when there is a big open field in front of you? are big sweeping turns possible?

cr500dom
    Free Member

Of no help im afraid

I Have a Dupraz D1, brought as a Powder board but gets ridden everywhere, its epic !!

Shandy
    Free Member

1) Tail slashes are very difficult. I believe you can purchase an optional tail slashing device online to modify the board.

2) Big sweeping turns can be dangerous, as such big open fields are best avoided. If you do accidentally find yourself in a powder field, buddy up with a friend and lay down some nice controlled powder 8s until you reach safety.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    plumber
    Free Member

I have 3 burton boards

99 Custom – general hill
    05 Malolo – big open field of powder – surfing the mountain
    04 Fish – Trees

Any given day I will be riding the fish as its just great for popping in the trees where powder can still be found after the rest is trashed

No problem riding big field of powder or general piste bashing – rear end is a bit loose as can be expected on the the piste but you soon get used to it

I’ll probably buy another this year as its been ridden so long there hardly any camber left

If you can buy in the states its soooo much cheaper and they are often left in the sales as they are a ‘bit weird’ for most people

I recall I lent mine to my my brother for a run when I first got it, he went and bought one the same night – its like night and day in the trees – never ever get leg pump and so easy to ride

stevomcd
    Free Member

I have an original (2002!) Fish. It’s great fun on white-out days for tree-riding, but on a big steep face I’d rather have a “proper” board.

I like to feel the power and response from the tail of the board and, with no tail, you don’t get that much response from a Fish.

Earl
    Free Member

Just what I was thinking – lack of tail means lack of something to push against which means slowing down on the steeps . I might find a challenge.

I’ve got a Custom and a NS SL for general riding but always wanted a fish … just for that one day…..

How tall are you guys and what length fish do you ride?

I’m 5’7 usually ride a 156. The OG I just bought is only a 153. The 157 might is probably a better length but its way wide for my liking.

Earl
    Free Member

I was doing super tight powder 8’s with my wife on a piste 2 years back – harder than it looks and like line dancing….. bags of fun.

nedrapier

I spent a day on a 5’5 Dupraz D1+ at the end of last season. Day at Courmayeur with an off-the-back run to finish. Piste, slush, wide open blown powder, corn, gullies, steeps. Loved it! Slashiest board I’ve ever been on, big turns were cool too. So I bought one. Now sitting at home, waiting for bindings and snow.

While you can do lovely big pow turns just fine on smaller boards, there’s nothing quite like a big turn on a big board, all that planing area underneath you pushing back and piling on the Gs… urg…

1000m of powder is going to last you a lot longer on a smaller board!

stevomcd
    Free Member

I’m 5’11” / 85kg and ride a 156 Fish. This may be part of the reason why I don’t like it all that much… 😳

cr500dom
    Free Member

nedrapier – Member

I spent a day on a 5’5 Dupraz D1+ at the end of last season. Day at Courmayeur with an off-the-back run to finish. Piste, slush, wide open blown powder, corn, gullies, steeps. Loved it! Slashiest board I’ve ever been on, big turns were cool too. So I bought one. Now sitting at home, waiting for bindings and snow.

While you can do lovely big pow turns just fine on smaller boards, there’s nothing quite like a big turn on a big board, all that planing area underneath you pushing back and piling on the Gs… urg…

1000m of powder is going to last you a lot longer on a smaller board!

I demoed a 5’5″ D1+ and loved it, but I really wanted the ultimate for powder days so I tried a 6’D1 and it rode fine on everything, not too big either so I took a chance on it at Serge said that would be the best of the range on Powder.

I sold my Santa Cruz in the end as I rode everything on the D1 !!

Id still like a stiffer one too, possibly in the 5’5″ size, for big carving days on piste but I can do everything I need to on the 6′

Oh I`m 5’6″ too and normally ride a 155/156 conventional board, but have a 151 Never Summer Evo for Playing on too

nedrapier

Glad you like it. I was after a messing about board that’d cope with more, and I’m hoping it’ll be grand for that. I’ve got a 176 Prior swallow for the big days. Stupidly stiff and a bit of a handful, but when it’s wide open, it’s amazing! Not ridden it for a few years, though.

cr500dom
    Free Member

I brought mine about 6 years ago and did 1.5 seasons on it and a few weeks since, it’s great for the kind of riding I want to do
    Hoping to get out again this season somewhere

stevomcd
    Free Member

I demo’d a load of powder boards at the Ultimate Test Tour when they came to Sainte Foy. What I remember riding was:

Jones Flagship – Didn’t really do it for me. Big, stiff, dull.

Dupraz 6′ D++: Awesome, but felt like you had to be on it all the time or it would try to kill you.

Furlan(?? Some French brand) – weird board which had a twin/freestyle shape, but with very elongated and tapered nose & tail. This board was AWESOME. So much fun. Rode like a normal board on hardpak, surfy and slashy in powder.

nedrapier

Not furberg, stevo? I’d love to try one. Heard great things about them.

http://www.furbergsnowboards.com/www/?page_id=481

nedrapier

Dupraz 6′ D++: Awesome, but felt like you had to be on it all the time or it would try to kill you.

I tried the 6′ as well, I think the ++ was all they had to try. I thought the same as you. The prior does that for me if I want it. the 5’5 was just Fun!

stevomcd
    Free Member

Definitely a Furlan I tried: http://www.furlansnowboard.com/

The ASH Water would be the closest board from the current line-up to the one I rode.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Question for Burton Fish/Powder board owners.’ is closed to new replies.