Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Question for bike shop people: keeping stock levels?
  • allthegear
    Free Member

How difficult can it be to keep your website showing accurate stock levels? It's certainly not a technical issue – I can say that. Is it just a case of people wandering out of the warehouse without noting things down? Sack 'em – it's not hard…

Just had a call to tell me the ISIS BB for my vp-free I ordered is out of stock – it's really piggin annoying.

Rachel

wwaswas

depends if it's a shop or internet only 'warehouse' – if it's the latter then, no no excuse their stock control and website ought to be integrated.

If it's a shop who 'normally have a couple of those in stock' but happened to have sold them through the bricks and mortar shop and not had new stock in yety it's understandable.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Isis bb are stoneage

All business's have issues with stock control, Especialy if the business is large and the system is not live,

For example in Cyclesurgery a guy could check stock of your BB and it shows its in another store. At the same time the other store could be selling the item or having it stolen.

But there are loads of case where items can be fitted to a bike as part of a repair and recorded as an other item, like 113mm bb rather than 111mm bb.

In theory its simple in but its not in practice

allthegear
    Free Member

Even if it is "only a shop", I still don't get it – surely they maintain some sort of stock control???? How on earth do they know when to order new things?

This is the 21st Century (Buck Rodgers and all that…). They have computers these days…

wwaswas

How on earth do they know when to order new things?

If it's soemthign they don;t sell often then when someone asks for it and they don't have it – they don;'t end up stocking stuff no-one ever asks for then. It's a bit tough if you're the one that asks when they haven't got it but it probably works for most small shops.

allthegear
    Free Member

I'm not asking for something that they don't have – that's the thing – it was marked as "in stock".

If we carried on at work like this, there would be an awful lot of dead people…

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Like i said it could have be stolen or purchased by someone else at the same time or just before you. There are lots of logical honest reasons behind this.

Get ht2 and you'll be fine.

wwaswas

If we carried on at work like this, there would be an awful lot of dead people…

you need to get those anger issues under control 😉

it's not great, but most shops are fairly small businesses and aren't always great at keeping their website and shop stock levels in balance.

Normally, if I'm not ordering from CRC et al I'll phone somewhere to see if they've got the stock advertised.

allthegear
    Free Member

Actually, I'm moving away from HT2 – managed to get an ISIS RS7, same as my XC bike, where it has been so amazing I've decided to go that way on all my bikes…

Ah – don't worry wwassnotwas – It's not me that would be killing people, it would be the incorrectly picked products (analgesics of various scary forms…)

whytetrash

Bike shop owners are the worst culprits…spend a mint on EPOS and half the time don't record sales properly…even if they nag their staff to!

wwaswas

funnily enough I've done the same on two of my bikes – got an RS7 singlespeed then got a Duo for another one because I like dit so much 🙂

I got some Crank Bros BB's from CRC when they had them at £15 each and not had any problems.

I'd buy again at normal price, if only for the 5 year warranty…

allthegear
    Free Member

@whytetrash – yes, I think that it what I am saying – the places seem to have EPOS but don't seem to actually use it…

TooTall
    Free Member

A computer system doesn't solve much and won't do it for long. You still need people to use it properly and they probably won't – they are the weak point in any process. Most bike shop owners are not supply chain managers – but they don't intend to mess up. Then again – you probably have to order a dozen ISIS BB's a year the way they wear!

neil853
    Free Member

I've ordered an item twice this week from two different stores that showed stock online only to be phoned to say that it wasn't in stock. I agree, annoying 👿

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Question for bike shop people: keeping stock levels?’ is closed to new replies.