Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Question for Android Geeks!
  • Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

Got a Nexus 4 running very latest android 4.2.2

When I’m wandering down the street trying to view something over data connection .. it *seems* like it keeps trying to connect to the secure residential WIFI’s I’m walking past (though obviously not managing) rather than just going straight to mobile data.

I can swith WIFI off and then it’ll whizz right on and get the content I want over the mobile network but it’s annoying to do this.

I otherwise usually use WIFI as have it at home and work.

Any tips?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

is there an open wifi in there somewhere?

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

there are a few BT FON/HOTSPOTS near me .. though mostly residential .. but I’m not BT customer so I I can’t use these. My old phone – an Xperia – would just ignore them but tell me they were there would I like to connect . .but my nexus theoretically has the same menus as the old .. but it does seem to automatically try to connect

molgrips
    Free Member

I think you can tell it not to try and connect to open networks? Checkbox for this?

muggomagic

Isn’t there a tick box in settings that is ignore unknown wifi networks?

chvck
    Free Member

Mine does this too, it’ll try to latch onto open networks like BTFON etc… It doesn’t tend to happen often enough for me to have investigated a way to stop it. In settings there’s a checkbox for “Notify me when an open network is available” that’s checked in mine, not sure if unchecking would fix it as I have no way to test atm.

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

Network notification
    Notify me when an open network is available

(i read this as literal . .i.e. it won’t try connect though)

or

Avoid poor connections

is the closest I get in advanced wifi settings

deviant
    Free Member

I just turn WiFi off when I leave the house.
    The 3G data strength from Three is so good that I can go for days without switching WiFi on.

Galaxy S2 by the way on jellybean 4.1

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

I’ve just found something in the data usage, menu, Mobile hotspots where it seems you can specify if something is a (chargeable I guess) hotspot to reduce background data usage .. again close but not the right thing I think.

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

Ok lets take it from another perspective

is there an app that designates home wifi network/s ?

I’m on Tmobile (ee) for both cell & home line and they do have seem to have a WIFI/hotspot management app .. maybe I’ll see if this works.

andytherocketeer

In settings there’s a checkbox for “Notify me when an open network is available” that’s checked in mine, not sure if unchecking would fix it as I have no way to test atm.

I think that’ll only have an effect if it’s a network that has not been remembered? not sure.

Mine used to try connecting to all the open Telekom APs, after I used a free one once. Now if I’m somewhere like an autobahn services and use free wifi, I tell it to forget the network afterwards.

I don’t see anything obvious in the settings (other than press and hold and tell it to forget).

legend
    Free Member

I can swith WIFI off and then it’ll whizz right on and get the content I want over the mobile network but it’s annoying to do this.

Wifi on/off button (widget) on your homescreen? That’s what I always did, so I could turn wifi, gps and data on/off instantly to help the battery

bonchance
    Free Member

if you have used the openzone , btwifi or whatever

you will need to either press and hold those networks to ‘forget’ it

or switch off wifi

or uninstall any wifi provider app – like the BT one..

nickjb
    Free Member

Wifi on/off button (widget) on your homescreen? That’s what I always did, so I could turn wifi, gps and data on/off instantly to help the battery

+1
    I have a similar widget that lets me turn various things on and off including wifi and data from the home screen. I prefer this way is lets me force it what to do depending on where I am. Also saves battery. The wife has taken to turning the networking stuff off unless she needs it and gets 2-3 days on a charge from her Nexus 4

thebunk

I use Llama to turn wifi off and 3G on when I leave the house, and turn it back on when I get get to the office or return home. It also changes ring tone volumes at certain times or areas. Recommended, though it takes some tweaking to get it right.

retro83
    Free Member

or use the quick setting toggle menu, swipe down from top bar with two fingers

doesn’t solve the problem, but means you can work around it without keep going back to home screen

shadthebad
    Free Member

bonchance has it, long press and ‘forget connection’ will stop the phone from trying to connect over the WiFi.

Swipe down from the top with two fingers for quick access to settings.

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

Yeah

I’ve got the quick toggle bar on the homescreen .. always have, and I use a scheduler to shut data/wifi/bluetooth off overnight, but this type of regular automation is good for just popping out last minute on an errand while keeping an eye on the soon to end ebay auction! 8)

I admit I’m just trying to be as lazy as possible and not bother to do two or three clicks/swipes to do it.

Hey it’s a smartphone that’s meant to do everything for you right?

I like the look of that Llama app .. I’ll try that later. Thanks thebunk but I’ll see if the EE wifi manager app makes a difference first.

Cougar

Swipe down from the top with two fingers for quick access to settings.

You swipe down from the right-hand half of the status bar; two-fingered swiping doesn’t do anything (on my device at least).

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

one finger is good enough for me boys 😯

shadthebad
    Free Member

Got a Nexus 4 running very latest android 4.2.2

Two fingers works with this.

Cougar

You must have a different Nexus 4 running very latest android 4.2.2 to me then. Or I’m doing it wrong.

shadthebad
    Free Member

Perhaps I have sausage fingers. Try 3?

Cougar

No dice I’m afraid.

Odd.

Stoner
    Free Member

cougar do you have nexus 4 or nexus 7/10?

one finger from top right works on my mums N10.

On my N4 (4.2.2 build number JDQ39) two fngers from top brings setting shortcut.

Cougar

cougar do you have nexus 4 or nexus 7/10?

Good point well made, I can’t read. This is on a Nexus 7. Guess the behaviour is different on the 4 (which makes sense, smaller screen).

On the 7, if I swipe on the left hand side I get the notifications menu, on the right gives quick settings.

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

aha I get it (Nexus 4)

1 finger brings notifications/status
    2 finger brings the menu (never realised that .. always pressed the little squar button on top right of the notifications)

learn something every day

miketually
    Free Member

I just turn WiFi off when I leave the house.
    The 3G data strength from Three is so good that I can go for days without switching WiFi on.

I use wi-fi at home, but never feel the need to use it anywhere else because 3 mobile data is so good.

And, 2-finger for settings was new to me too. Thanks 🙂

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

I NEED wifi at home; live within 1/8 mile of a hospital and maybe or not a concidence but there’s seems a corrolation with that and the mobile reception around here (on a map showing cell masts I saw via giffgaff site I’m slap bang in the middle of a large rectangle that is mast-less around the hospital).
    combined with being a mid terrace it’s a double whammy

Can barely make voice calls and even then I have to be within 1m of the front wall of the house.

shadthebad
    Free Member

I wasn’t that clear before about the WiFi, when your phone next tries to connect to an undesirable network,then do the long press and forget the network. Your phone will never try and connect to it again or any other network with the same name.

It’s worth using WiFi when out and about, not for the speed, but because it saves on battery useage.

For your voice calls at home, you could try turning off the 3G and using the 2G signal. Depending on your network, you may get an improvement.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Question for Android Geeks!’ is closed to new replies.