Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Question: Bike squashed by bus (London village content), what to do next?
  • dannyboy
    Free Member

Pretty crap morning. Waiting at a red light, traffic gridlocked in all four diections, felt a nudge from behind, a 137 double decker bus easing its way out to cross the junction apprently oblivious of me. I leapt off and watched as 2 tonnes of london bus ran over my bike, with not just the front but the back wheels too. Driver stopped and first thing the driver said “I didn’t see you, you must stop furhter in front next time”, shut the doors and drove off.

I managed to get the number and bus reg, and drivers name after dragging waht used to be a nice bike up to the window and shouting at her.

My quesitons are, has this happened to anyone here? Did you manage to get any compensation? I’ve reported the incident to TFL and Arriva who say sit tight and we’ll get back to you….not great. I’m thinking of ringing the insurance company or should I hold off?

Thanks all.
    DB

GlenMore
    Free Member

Report to the police. Driving off after an accident?????

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m thinking of ringing the insurance company or should I hold off?

😯

I would have done that second, after reporing it to the cops, and before ringing the bus company.

I’d rip ’em to shreds for that.

Coyote
    Free Member

Report to the police +1

cynic-al
    Free Member

No one harmed…no need to stop?

Don’t see why you shouldn’t get compo, any witnesses?

No harm in going to Rozzers or insurers.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Witnesses?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Are you for REAL???

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

If it is not reported within 24 hours, then yep, it is ‘failure to stop after an accident’.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

watched as 2 tonnes of london bus ran over my bike,

Conservative estimate!

Try 7t unladen, 12t laden……

dannyboy
    Free Member

There were plenty of people watching, but in my effort to persue the bus with what was left of the bike, I failed to stop and ask any ones details.

The driver did stop, “eventually”, as I have her and the buses details she didn’t fail to stop after an accident.

wwaswas

failing to stop at an accident – the police will be very keen to talk to the driver.

[edit] cross post.

psychle
    Free Member

WTF? that sounds pretty terrible to me… were you defo in the right (ie. in terms of your road positioning etc?)

Trying to visualise the scenario in my head, kind of struggling to do so, can you draw a diagram? 🙂

dannyboy
    Free Member

Try 7t unladen, 12t laden……

It was about half full so 10t?

Amazing what that’ll do to a back wheel, the rim is about 1.5mm thick now.

crazy-legs

THIS THREAD on LFGSS forum has some useful info.

Maybe find out if there’s any CCTV covering that junction? Definitely report to police and to the bus company. Get a report on the damage from a bike shop – the bike is obviously a total write off but the police and insurers will want a formal valuation on it. Any witnesses? Details?

If it’s any consolation a mate got knocked off by a bus a few years ago, bike written off an dhe was injured. Bus co admitted 100% liability and the payout he got was enough to buy a very nice new bike. I’m not a fan of the compensation culture, I’m not for one second suggesting you should claim for “injury” or anything, but they should certainly pay out for a new bike.

And if you aren’t already a member then consider joining CTC or British Cycling. Both give excellent insurance cover, discounts at bike shops/online and in situations like this they’re worth every penny of the membership. Personally I can’t believe that people will drive round in a car worth £300 with full insurance but ride round on a £3000 bike with no cover at all. Madness.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

WTF? that sounds pretty terrible to me… were you defo in the right (ie. in terms of your road positioning etc?)

I know what you’re saying, but if you’re on the correct side of the road and stationary, it’s hard if not impossible to be at fault I think…

uplink
    Free Member

All the buses have forward facing CCTV don’t they?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I’d just ride off and MTFU.

younggeoff

what would’ve happened if you hadn’t jumped off the bike 😯 definately report to the cops and haul them across the coals.

Yep she failed to stop at the scene of the accident, you had to chase her down to get her attention and details she didn’t stop voluntarily

neninja
    Free Member

Report it to the police tomorrow morning.
    If the driver hasn’t reported it themselves they are leaving themselves open to a prosecution for Failing to Stop/Give particulars and also a charge of Failure to Report – both carry a Maximum Penalty of 6 months imprisonment and/or fine, endorsement with 5-10 penalty points and Discretionary disqualification

She obviously doesn’t want her bus driving job that much!

psychle
    Free Member

How’d you chase her down btw? Running down the road with your mangled bike over your shoulder? Would’ve been a sight to see! 😆

Glad you’re OK guv… give ’em hell, I reckon you’ll get a better new bike out of it in the end, good luck 🙂

Sanny
    Free Member

Go to the Police now – I was deliberately hit by a car last year (going to court next month). You should report it as a hit and run incident and do so within 24 hours so time is of the essence. This isn’t something to leave for a few days. I’d also point out that the driver didn’t provide insurance details. Get an incident ref no for when you report it to your home insurers.

Take pics of the bike and the damage and write down a detailed account of what happened, the sequence of events, the conversation you had with the driver, their response, name of the driver, reg no etc. Also record what the conditions were like e.g. clear skies, cloudy, visibility, time of day etc. It’s also a good idea to take a picture of the scene of the incident as well. Go to a local bike shop and get them to independently write a report of the damage and the replacement cost of the parts. It may well be that your frame is out of alignment and will need replaced.

Good luck.

Sanny

PS I’d be pushing the investigating officer to pursue a careless driving charge on this. Not looking isn’t a good excuse in my book. be polite but firm and don’t be fobbed off. I’m impressed by your calmness over this. You are clearly one chilled out dude. 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

Report it to police driving without due care and attention???

cynic-al
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member
    Are you for REAL???

Nope, I thought there was a duty to do something ONLY if a person had been harmed or there had been a collision…provide isn. details?

Looks like I am not a cake.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

or there had been a collision

Squashed bike = Collision.

No getting away from that! 😉

bigyinn
    Free Member

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!
    Thats shocking, thank god they weren’t going fast!
    I’d be getting in touch with the police and the bus company, given you were stationary, thats a fairly basic fail on the part of the bus driver.
    One thing I dont get is you were nudged from behind, did this knock you off?
    Pics too would be useful. I’d certainly be claiming for a new bike off the bus company, no question!

dannyboy
    Free Member

Thanks guys police it is then.

Sanny thakns for the advice, will take a pic on the way home.

psychle – yup cyclocross stylee running down the road.

Will let you know what the outcome is.

bigyinn
    Free Member

As an aside, most bus companies insure themselves IIRC, so no insurance details need to be provided? MidlandTrailquestsGraham may be able to answer that bit better.

MarkN
    Free Member

Been a while since I was on a TFL bus but dont they have CCTV on board these days? Good luck.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

As an aside, most bus companies insure themselves IIRC, so no insurance details need to be provided?

Some form of insurance is a legal necessity. They may pay for 3rd party claims themselves, but they have to be insured!

brooess
    Free Member

That bus driver needs to be made an example of…
    Worth speaking to the CTC for advice in the best way to approach this to ensure you get justice and driver is made to face up to her responsibilities
    Quite shocked that driver’s attitude to nearly seriously injuring you was so callous.
    Hope you’re ok…

TheBrick
    Free Member

“I didn’t see you, you must stop furhter in front next time”

They have very low windscreens and good visibility!?!

thomthumb
    Free Member

did the bus jump a red?

soobalias
    Free Member

give the evening standard a call and see if they want piccys of your bike?

project
    Free Member

Bus driver= woman, see any thing there.

Buses usually weigh about 11 tonnes plus, most have cctv facing forward , and side cameras,

Just imagine if you were actually on the bike, another pizzaed cyclist.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

(Needs a lie down)

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Bus driver= woman, see any thing there.

Yeah, you’re a sexist.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Some form of insurance is a legal necessity. They may pay for 3rd party claims themselves, but they have to be insured!

Pretty much, although if you’ve got half a million quid to spare, and deposit it with the accountant general, whoever he is, you don’t need insurance.

2bit

Very very luck that you weren’t injured.

Friend of a friend is currently in hospital full of morphine with no skin on his arm & a shattered elbow after a bus ran over him yesterday morning. We’re not entirely sure what happened but it’s looking like the bus was at fault (bus didn’t initially stop apparently as the driver didn’t realise he had run anything over). he’s not sure if he’s ever going to have full use of his arm again.

Definitely go to the police. Definitely be thankful that it’s just your bike that got run over

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Why not just bang on the front window of the bus? I’m failing to get a picture of what happened here. Something is not adding up here.

allthepies
    Free Member

Why not just bang on the front window of the bus?

If a bus is literally about to run you over (already made impact) then self preservation would be my first instinct i.e. get the hell out of the way.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Question: Bike squashed by bus (London village content), what to do next?’ is closed to new replies.