Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Question About Paying VAT On Arrival of Item, Need Help!
  • madden96
    Free Member

Hello guys, im looking on buying a scott voltage frame from USA, i live in UK but there are just none for sale!

So i am paying 700 Pound shipped, but does anyone know how to work out how much VAT i will have to pay on arrival of the item, as i have got a feeling it will be over £40!

Please Help, Thanks!

allthepies
    Free Member

You mean import duty + VAT 🙂 You may be lucky and not get it applied but if you do get charged then it won’t be cheap. You’ll pay an import duty, then VAT on top of all that. With VAT at 20% then it will certainly be more than £40.

madden96
    Free Member

Hahaa ohh My god, Its 201 Pound haha, think ill wait for one to pop up in UK! thanks guys!

neninja
    Free Member

It will be based on the value placed on the commercial invoice by the person shipping the frame.

Typically the cost break down based on a £700.00 valuation will be –
    £8-15 customs handling charges
    Duty will be vary according to how the courier classify the frame but probably about £30-40
    VAT – £140

So assume another £180-200

If the person in the US entered a lower value on the commercial invoice and also did not include the shipping cost on that invoice and solely the frame you could reduce that amount.

allthepies
    Free Member

Ouch, using that calculator gives “Total import duty & taxes due: £179.48” and that doesn’t include any “admin fee” the shipper may charge for collecting the tax from you.

poly
    Free Member

Don’t forget, VAT is charged on the price INCLUDING duty. The carrier will want their cut for collecting it all. Varies from about £8 – to £20 depending on the carrier / value of shipment etc.

I don’t think you’ll see much change out of £1000.

jonk

My local leisure lakes in Bury have full Voltage bikes with Domains for £1100 might be worth buying the whole bike and swapping / selling parts.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Question About Paying VAT On Arrival of Item, Need Help!’ is closed to new replies.