Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Question about my brakes
  • SaxonRider

So, I went to ride today and found that my 2009 Avid Juicy 5 rear brake had seized, as if the brake was permanently engaged.

I stopped by the LBS, and asked if they could do anything for me (realising that it was Saturday and I just walked in off the street, of course!), and the guy there (who was very nice) told me that:

a) probably what happened is that with the change in temperature, moisture formed in the brake line, and that there would be no way of fixing it other than to bleed it.

b) that it probably wasn’t worth it because the same thing would happen again, as Juicys were always susceptible to this problem.

c) that it was probably worth me going online and just buying some new brakes.

My question is: Do you agree with what I was told? Or should I just be able to bleed them, and expect them to be fine again?

Sorry for my ignorance, but I have never done anything with brakes before!

bikeneil
    Free Member

Avid brakes + the dustbin = a happy rider.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I am also in the same school of thought as ^^^^^^^

garage-dweller

Sorry the lbs told you to go online and buy new brakes 😯

You sure you didn’t go into the chip shop? 😉

garage-dweller

From what I have read I am not sure a set of avid brakes will ever appear on a bike of mine but having said that there must be some sets that work.

JAG

Hmmm Avid brakes may not be very good – I’ve never had any so can’t comment.

However the whole “temperature changed and moisture formed inside” story is just BS. I design brakes for Cars and this explanation is simply NOT TRUE.

I don’t know what’s wrong with your brakes but this ain’t it 🙄

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Brakes stuck on is probably stuck pistons. How old are they ? When did you last service them? I have a couple of sets of Avids on a couple of bikes and I have just overhauled and replaced the pistons on one set. All back to normal. A lot of people will tell you that Shimanos don’t give the same issues and that maybe the case, but don’t think its completely knackered.CR do piston kits for not a lot.

rob1984p
    Free Member

Silicone grease or spray all over everything (pads out first!) would be all I would attempt with Avids as any more money or time would probably just be a waste given their reputation…you’ve nothing to lose.

SaxonRider

Thanks for all those comments. If I replace with today’s Shimano (or whichever) equivalent, what would I be looking for then?

nickjb
    Free Member

Deores for around £35 an end. A little less on a good day. If you are feeling flush then go for SLX. Way better that faffing with what you have.

teethgrinder

Deore.

SaxonRider

Presumably, I’d be looking at new rotors as well as everything else? Do they come as whole sets? And finally, what is Hope’s equivalent, and is it any good?

teethgrinder

You can pick a pair of Deore up for <£70 if you look around, but that’s usually w/o rotors and mounts. You should be able to use the Avid rotors and mounts without too much hassle.

Hope are not any where near as cheap, but you can get spares easily. Just bite the bullet and go the whole hog on a set of E4 Tech 3’s!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Question about my brakes’ is closed to new replies.