Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Question about engineered floors – might be one for deadly darcy..
  • yossarian
    Free Member

…but might not as it involves cleaning them not fitting them.

I’ve just had a lot of plastering work done and despite my best efforts there is a thin layer of dust over everything including my wood floors and particularly in the hallway where it’s been thoughtfully tramped in by the builders.

What products or methods can people recommend to removed the dust without damaging the floor and the finish (its oiled I think). I’ve heard talk of vinegar and water but what else should I consider?

Cheers

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’ll answer this one in a bit yossers when I’m sat at the pc.

yossarian
    Free Member

Thanks fella

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Roight…

If it’s an oiled finish, and you’re really struggling to get the dust out of the grain, it might be best splashing a few quid on this stuff:

And some scouring pads, nothing too rough…just scotchbrite type things…like these:

Work along the grain, and don’t dig too much with the pad. The liquid wax cleaner should lift the dust out of the grain. Once you’re done, it might be an idea to give it a new top coat of oil – Osmo Polyx Oil should do it – can be applied with a short pile woven (Harris sleeves excellent for this, from screwfix) roller sleeve (use a synthetic 2″ inch brush for the edges). Takes up to a day (8 hours) to dry so make sure access isn’t a problem. If it looks ok after using the cleaner and it hasn’t been down long, it might not need a coat – up to you really, that one.

Sorry if you were hoping for something a bit simpler 🙁 🙂 Plaster dust is a bit of a bastard once it gets into the texture of the timber. I’m recommending to you what I’d do if I was asked by a client to come and sort out a similar mess.

The cleaner should last a few years though and is excellent for spot cleaning later on. Use it sparingly. It really is good stuff. Good luck.

yossarian
    Free Member

Cheers DD, your time and knowledge are appreciated. it’s a new floor and a nice one. Don’t mind taking the time and putting in the work to get it properly clean.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

No worries.

Albanach
    Free Member

I’ve a similar problem on solid wood stairs which have not been treated with oil or varnish. Is there a similar product for this or do I use meths or turps?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Tag rag with a lint free rag (roll of decorators stockinette from B&Q is ideal), meths abd elbow grease I’m afraid Albanach. 😐 Don’t use anything water based on unfinished timber as it’ll raise the grain.

EDIT: Gloves (vinyl) and ensure good ventilation and kids out of the house (in case you didn’t already realise). 🙂

Albanach
    Free Member

Cheers DD that’s what I feared, it’s big set of stairs!!

Albanach
    Free Member

Deadly – in a previous thread I asked about the checking of moisture levels on a concrete floor – I haven’t checked but assuming I do what figure or reading would mean I would not have to use liquid DPM? It’s a new build house that has been unoccupied for ~2-3 years?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You’d have to check manufacturers’ recommended levels for sub-floor moisture content and relative humidity of the house air (worth checking both). The recommended levels will be on the glue manufacturers site eg Bonakemi, Sika, Uzin, Lecol. TBH, if you have a concrete floor in a new build such as you describe, then I reckon you’ll be fine. You really ought to be fitting engineered timber though. I use Sika Primer mB over concrete but there are identical products for half the price out there. For me, it’s more a compatibility thing and the client is paying. 🙂 Remember, applying a primer DPM means you use less adhesive too and takes care of dusty sub-floors. There’s never a reason not to use a DPM as far as I’m concerned.

slackalice
    Free Member

Most plasterers nowadays are messy so and so’s and generally show little regard to protecting floors and adjacent walls, doors, skirtings etc etc. you may wish to consider asking them to stump up the cost of the materials and or labour to rectify. They could have easily put down floor protection, especially as the flooring is new.

Tradesmen piss me off sometimes and I’m one too.

Albanach
    Free Member

The plan is to fit engineered timber floors – would it be OK to contact you via email DD as I’ll probably have a few questions in the coming days regarding this?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Aye, fire away Albanach.

yossarian
    Free Member

Most plasterers nowadays are messy so and so’s and generally show little regard to protecting floors and adjacent walls, doors, skirtings etc etc. you may wish to consider asking them to stump up the cost of the materials and or labour to rectify. They could have easily put down floor protection, especially as the flooring is new.

in fairness to mine, they are paying for the osmo cleaner and have offered to clean the floors too. Can’t really argue with that.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Jaysus, don’t let them at the floor. 😯

😀

yossarian
    Free Member

don’t say that darcy, the’ve already started 😥

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I was only messin’ really.

I will await your post tomorrow… 😉

yossarian
    Free Member

😀

how do you get blood off a waxed oak floor?

bearnecessities

What a delightfully pleasant thread!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Question about engineered floors – might be one for deadly darcy..’ is closed to new replies.