Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Question about Cane Creek Bearing Race Replacement
  • oldgwegg
    Free Member

I just took the Cane Creek headset apart (came on the bike as stock) – cleaned it all up and noticed that one bearing race didn’t look good – bearings were slightly pitted and didn’t clean up presumably because the surfaces weren’t smooth. The other race looked like new.

It looks like this one http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=2222 but I can’t find a Cane Creek race one after googling.

Would this one fit do you think – its a standard ahead 1 1/8 headset for a straight steerer ??

Damn – just noticed that on the CRC link, there is an UPPER race and a LOWER race !! Hope I put them back in the right way round. Does it matter – I am a rank amateur and did not know this. Is it the case on all headsets, even cheap ones (which mine probably is) ?

If I can’t get the replacement race, whats a good budget headset for XC riding ? Cheers

mrmo
    Free Member

what cane creek is it?

just use loose balls the same size as fitted and don’t bother with the cage.

oldgwegg
    Free Member

Unfortunately it doesn’t say which Cane Creek it is – must be very basic model as it came on a cheap bike. But if I can put just loose bearings in thats cool.

No need for the cage then ??

And whats the thing about upper and lower race ? Is that for all headsets ?

monkeychild
    Free Member

I have a cane creek that came on my Genesis io. I need new ball bearings, but I have no idea what size they are??

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Question about Cane Creek Bearing Race Replacement’ is closed to new replies.