Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Query on road inner tubes
  • theflatboy
    Free Member

Bit specific, but does anyone know any good deals on reasonably light tubes at the moment, that absolutely definitely do not have removable valve cores? I had a very irritating situation on Sunday – squeezing in a ride when short of time, got a flat so swapped the tube.

The only problem was that the pump I had with me was a Lezyne with a threaded hose, and my spare was a removeable valve core tube… You can see where this is going! By the time I’d tried twice to inflate and remove the pump without dumping all the air, I had to curtail my ride and wait for someone else to pass with a pump I could actually use!

So, I’m thinking I will reboot my tubes arrangement, no removeable cores allowed!

brakes
    Free Member

continental tubes?
    they are good though and I’ve not found anything as good for the money.
    I have the same pump and learned this lesson hard. just make sure your valve cores are done up tightly.

TiRed

Michelin latex tubes from Decathlon. They definitely don’t have removable cores, nor do the standard Air Comps.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

Dab of threadlock on your existing ones, and gorilla tighten them?

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Definitely not Vittoria tubes, speaking from an identical problem a while ago…

Never had an issue with Contis.

bigdaddy

I had this very situation last week with a new pump – should’ve learned the lesson to use the pump before needing it on my commute miles from anywhere, and not then get stuck dumping air from the valve core… Managed to get it to 40 psi ish and got to work, not happy!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I like the michelin tubes; the conti ones seem bigger which makes it a bit trickier to put your tyre back on.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Cheers, chaps – useful pointers.

wilburt
    Free Member

Wiggle Lifeline, £10 for five, good as anything else.

theflatboy
    Free Member

and fixed core? They’re actually less than £8 for five at the mo, looks ideal!

lerk
    Free Member

Do you not have the ‘fixed’ lezyne end with the bleed button on it?

My floordrive has this end and have never had an issue…

Mind you, I also don’t feel the need to bottom the threads when attaching the pump either! 😉

wilburt
    Free Member

Yep fixed core, light and proper rubber not that hard plastic type even come in a nice box.

No reason to pay more IMO.

theflatboy
    Free Member

wilburt, cheers – good tip now ordered.

lerk – it has a bleed button on the hose but that wasn’t helping, I wasn’t even doing the hose thread up that tight, but the core was too loose and nothing I had on me (with chilly hands as well!) would get the core any tighter 😡

Northwind

Pro tip- the faces on a removable core are the same size as one of the standard spoke sizes, so most multitools can tighten them up.

theflatboy
    Free Member

that is an exceptionally good shout – why weren’t you there on my ride yesterday! 😆

Northwind

I should have said nipple btw but you probably got that 😳

pictonroad

After doing this on more than one freezing ride I threw my lezyne pump at the cat.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Michelin latex tubes from Decathlon. They definitely don’t have removable cores, nor do the standard Air Comps.

Ah that would have been my answer. And probikekit usually do reasonable deals on bundles. Annoyingly found out they don’t have a removable core when I went to put a valve extender on one. Had to get some vittoria latex ones to use instead.

brakes
    Free Member

Wiggle Lifeline, £10 for five, good as anything else.

they had better be. I’ve just re-stocked with them.
    the last time I bought cheap online unknown brand tubes (from CRC) they were pretty rubbish.
    thanks anyway.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Wiggles just arrived, confirmed fixed core – good tip and for less than £8 for 5 can’t go wrong really!

if anyone cares, random sample was 101g!

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Maybe look at getting a better pump when this one packs in……..

theflatboy
    Free Member

Haha, it’s a fair point… annoying as it is, though, the pump’s pretty good!

flange
    Free Member

I carry a valve core remover with me now (the little black plastic ones that come with tub sealant) after too many occurrences of the above.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Further update on this – I emailed Planet X yesterday to ask about the removability of cores in their lightweight tubes (currently 99p) – they got in too late to beat Wiggle to the business, but I have a hot off the press reply confirming that they also have a fixed core, so buy with confidence Lezyne pump users! 😆

Sundayjumper

Of no help whatsoever, but I had some cheapy tubes from OnOne about 18 months ago and they were utter rubbish, kept puncturing on their own, on the inside side nearest the rim. Went back to Spesh / Conti as I’d always used before and all fine again.

Conti Supersonics on my best bike.

wilburt
    Free Member

Glad to be of service, match them up with Michelin Lithions 25mm @ £22 for a pair and your sorted!

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

+1 Michelin tubes

dragon
    Free Member

The other option is to crimp all your removable core tubes prior to taking them out. I have a Lyzene pump and thankfully tested it on a Conti tube in the garage before use. I’d have been fuming if the core had come out first time of use in a dark wet night.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Query on road inner tubes’ is closed to new replies.