Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Queen. (The Freddie, not royal type)
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

I acquired a little Sony stereo today that someone was chucking out, ideal for site when busy on my own etc. Just found a tape in the player. It was queen live. Boy o boy that man had some pipes!

scaredypants

Yeh, I was “too cool” to go to see them when my (wiser) brother went 🙁

scotroutes

Saw them live at the Playhouse in Edinburgh when Bo Rap was #1 in the charts.

jekkyl

DAYOOOOOOOO!

Live Killers (70s) or Live Magic (80s)?

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’m just gonna go check. I hated them when I was a kid, it just clicked one day…

wrightyson
    Free Member

Live magic.

hora
    Free Member

Oh Freddie. I still remember where I was and the moment I heard the news.

Who wants to live forever?

jekkyl

Sometimes wonder what Freddie would have been like had he lived, would he have been a judge on the voice?……….. would he hell!

project
    Free Member

a classic showman, singer,performer,who created some fantastic visual and vocal performances, and one of the first pop videos.

hora
    Free Member

I reckon a recluse.

Not ramming truckers from behind or singing candle in the wind.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Ding Ding

MoreCashThanDash

Think I prefer Live Killers to Live Magic – possibly because I trusted my two mates to go and get us three tickets for the Live Magic Wembley gig and the bastards only got two….

scotroutes

Still worth watching the Live Aid videos, especially when you remember that Queen weren’t exactly “hip” at the time and then look at the audience reaction.

Queen at Live Aid: The Greatest Twenty Minutes in the History of Rock ‘n Roll

wrightyson
    Free Member

My uncle was there. He still recalls it as one of the greatest days he’s ever had!

warton
    Free Member

my mum took me to see queen at St James Park when I was 10. I’ll never forget the rush when they came on, I go picked up and carried 50 yards! what an incredible night

tang
    Free Member

My brother was, as he reminds me often, front row for live magic at wembley. He’s even on the vid on his mates shoulders during gaga. One of his greatest experiences looking back at wembley doing the clap.

giant_scum
    Free Member

Disappointed that Sacha Baron Cohen won’t be playing Freddy in the biopic of his life!

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

First ever gig was Magic at Wembley 1986. I’m never going to beat that.

johndoh
    Free Member

Gutted I couldn’t get the day off work for Live Aid. Had I known the significance I’d have just gone.

Still, did see them at Maine Road the next summer with the Quo supporting (and Beleious Some opening).

molgrips
    Free Member

Bloke in our meeting today was the absolute spitting image of Freddie, moustace and all, only Indian. Bizarre!

sc-xc

Bloke in our meeting today was the absolute spitting image of Freddie, moustace and all, only Indian. Bizarre!

Farrokh Bulsara himself was of Indian extraction.

Harry_the_Spider

Just watched the Live Aid footage. Freddie was brilliant but the concert looks so dated without with out big festival style screens. How did they see at the back?

Young Freddie.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Yeh, I was “too cool” to go to see them when my (wiser) brother went

This. My mates dad offered to take us the its a kind of magic gig at Knebworth and we turned it down as we were also “too cool”; you live and learn.

senorj

Yep, cracking voice – it was the May noodling that put me off..
    I loved Flash Gordon ,when I was 13. 🙂

“saviour of the universe”

nealglover
    Free Member

Soooooo glad I got to see them live before the end.

And it was only just too, saw them at Marbella Municipal Stadium on the Live Magic tour.
    The next gig they did after that was the last they ever did together !

I’ll never forget that night, and don’t reckon I’ll ever go to a better gig.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Never saw them live but went to the tribute gig at Wembley, wow never realised at the time just how big some of the names were that played there that day.

iolo
    Free Member

I agree he had a good voice.
    The music was not to my taste though.
    Each to their own I suppose.
    I always preferred the dulcet tones of Bonn Scott and Brian Johnson.
    Brian May certainally is no Angus young.

bigblackshed

Knebworth. Last ever gig. Glad to say I was there.

iolo – Member

No, May’s a far better musician. 😉

zilog6128

correct, as he knows more than 3 chords. 🙂

D28boy
    Free Member

correct, as he knows more than 3 chords.

I think you underestimate Mr Young. He may not be able to write a symphony but he certainly knows how to write a rock song , and with more than 3 chords.

selaciosa
    Free Member

Freddie Mercury was Zorastrian so historically of Persian descent. Way back when (don’t know exactly) the Zorastrians fled Persia a lot of them ending up in India.

I’m sure someone will be along to correct me if I’m wrong on this. My ex’s nan was Zorastrian and I think I got this from her.

Northwind

I never got to see them live… But, the tribute concert was basically the day I discovered music, I’d never been interested at all before but it blew me away. James Hetfield doing Stone Cold Crazy 8). So cheers Freddie!

Pigface
    Free Member

A mate of mine (Terry Phillips) got battered at a Queen gig at Cardiff Castle :lol:, he didnt have any interest in Queen but Elvis Costello was opening. The weather was pretty wet and wild and when Queen came on he was standing way off to the side of the stage, believe it or not eating some sarnies his mum had made for him. Towards the end of the set he felt something hit him in the chest looking down he saw it was a tambourine. Freddy had tossed it off (fnar fnar)the stage and the wind caught it. He looked up and was engulfed by Queen fans all fighting to get there hands on Freddies tambourine. When he told us this tale of woe we were pissing ourselves but what really finished us off was “and some bastard robbed my sandwiches as well”

votchy
    Free Member

Only saw them once and that was at Knebworth , Belouis Some opened and got bottled off stage, Quo were special guest and brilliant, had a roadie with a huge cardboard guitar on top of the lighting rig and eventually got him down on stage with them, Big Country were support and very good then Queen were amazing headlining. Have seen many bands of many genres and still believe Freddie to be the best ‘frontman’ of anyone, his stage presence and the way he could work a crowd, in my opinion, second to none.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Don’t know why, but the phrase “stuffing badgers” just popped into my head…

jekkyl

I always thought Freddie was a bit of a coward as he didn’t reveal he had Aids until the day before he died, guess he was just ashamed. But he could done lots of good for the cause.

zilog6128

What business was it of anyone else? And what have you done with your life that entitles you to make a comment like that?

justinbieber

It’s a fair point. Off stage, Freddie was known to avoid the public eye (other than his huge parties) – he didn’t actively seek out publicity. Hell of a singer and possibly my favourite band of all time

molgrips
    Free Member

But he could done lots of good for the cause

He apparently has.

Gunz
    Free Member

I worshipped Queen in my early teens and then my brother turned up with tickets for the Magic tour at Wembley with INXS, The Alarma and Status Quo in support. I still remember the concert and the flying bottles of piss like it was yesterday, my brother was (and still is) my total hero.
    It was also such a shame that they started a Queen song at the Olympics closing ceremony with Freddie and then let Jessie J take over. Fair play to her for stepping up but it would have been such a moment to have heard the original.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Queen. (The Freddie, not royal type)’ is closed to new replies.