Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Queen addresses Holyrood on 10th Anniversay of Scotish devolution.
  • Spongebob
    Free Member

When are we getting an English Assembly?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

And its purpose would be?

mt
    Free Member

to give more money to lying cheating mp’s. just think how much money theyed get if you could not only be an mp, smp but an emp. Expenses tidal wave, a 3rd home even.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Spongebob
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

And its purpose would be?

To name but a few…..

To allow the English:
    To get free NHS prescriptions
    To abolish univesity student fees
    To have free parking at hospitals
    To have wheelclamping banned
    To have financial assistance for elderly people who have to go into a home and not having their homes forcibly flogged off below market value by incompetent council staff.
    To be able to vote for an ENP (English National Party)-and not be branded a racist.

Devolution has worked for Wales, Ireland and Scotland, so why not England too?

How about equality and fair play?????

donald
    Free Member

Any time you vote for one.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Trouble is spongebob all those things are not either Labour or Tory policy so won't happen even if you have an assembly

gonefishin
    Free Member

A couple of factual errors there.

Scotland does not have free nhs prescriptions
    Wheel clamping being illegal was a court decision that pre dates the Scottish Assembly

You should probably remember that the one major reason the Scottish and Welsh assemblies exist is because the massive population differences means Westminster is dominated by English MPs. Count the number of English MPs and compare them to the number of Scottish and Welsh ones.

That being said, if the people of England want an assembly then you could vote for a party that will give you them in the next General election. As for the other things on your list list, have you thought about petitioning your MP to try and get them?

menothim
    Free Member

Hopefully the English would use it to vote to get rid of the Royal Family.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Any time you vote for one.

When do we get a vote on it then donald? I don't remeber any discussion about the matter, let alone a chance to vote on it!

TandemJeremy – Member

Trouble is spongebob all those things are not either Labour or Tory policy so won't happen even if you have an assembly

Exactly! As English people don't have any representation, Labour and Conservative policy rules. This is precisiely why we aren't being offered an opportunity to vote on an English assembly.

Democracy??? What a joke! Two tier Britain where perceived minority groups get pandered to and the rest can just go screw themselves (but whilst funding all these benefits that they are excluded from benfitting from).

All that keeps the status quo is people having enough money in their pockets. As most people in England are doing ok or better than elsewhere in the UK, nothing changes, but as we get drip fed all the nonsense going on in devolved countries, we English feel increasingly discriminated against.

Devolution is all about division i'm sorry to say. A retrograde step. Scotland wants her independance now. We are now getting into arguments about who has the rights to Northsea gas and oil. If we had remained as a union, without devolved governments, this negative feeling would not have been given the time of day.

gonefishin
    Free Member

As English people don't have any representation

Err England has 525 out of the 642 seats at Westminster. That's not exactly what I'd call no representation.

donald
    Free Member

When do we get a vote on it then donald? I don't remember any discussion about the matter, let alone a chance to vote on it!

The last attempt to introduce some measure of English devolution was in 2004 BBC article. It was comprehensively defeated. This scheme was to introduce assemblies for regions of similar sizes to the Scottish and Welsh assemblies. No public appetite is seen to exist for an English assembly as such whenever an opinion poll is conducted

BigDummy
    Free Member

"Create an English Assembly" is the wrong answer to a question to which the better answer is "eject Scotland from the Union". 🙂

GrahamS

Scotland wants her independance now

I don't think it is that certain…

"in chronological order – the polls have gone, in terms of percent in favour of independence: 49, 27, 45, 29, 33, 52, 40; and the final rollover number is 32…"

http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/politics/domestic_politics/factcheck+do+the+scots+support+independence/251043%5B/url%5D

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I suspect if / when a tory government gets in at westminster then there will be a majority for independence in scotland within a year or two.

druidh
    Free Member

Out of curiosity, what would you call the remainder of the UK if Scotland did gain independence?

BigDummy
    Free Member

The Kingdom of England feat. Wales 'n' Ulster.

druidh
    Free Member

KEWU?? Would it catch on?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Druidh – they would just continue to call it Engerland as usual

BigDummy
    Free Member

We might have to pretend that it was Olde Englishe for "Great Nation".

zokes
    Free Member

UK – Ununited kingdom?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Didn't the Geordies vote on a Geordie Asembly a few years back?
    Didn't we send Jack McConnell, our then First Minister, to tell them what a jolly good idea it was, resulting in about 95% of them that voted voting against it? And IIRC, it was mentioned at the time that this may have been the precursor to regional assemblies throughout Ingerlund, so there wouldn't be an English assemly as such, but maybe a Cornish one, a Scousegit one and so one?
    However, I may well have been taking a lot of drugs at the time so might have just made all this up.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

druidh – Member
    Out of curiosity, what would you call the remainder of the UK if Scotland did gain independence?

Healthier.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

And poorer CFH 🙂

BigDummy
    Free Member

And Jeremy is launched!!!! C'mon, let's have some of those facts! My Friday is complete. 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Glad to be of service, BD!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

BigDummy – its been done ad infinitum 🙂

Have a wee search if you want the facts

Good sport this fishing 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    BigDummy – its been done ad infinitum

Have a wee search if you want the facts

Make sure you use the search strings "NOT Wikipedia" and "NOT TandemJeremy" if you're really after the facts though, people.

BigDummy
    Free Member

its been done ad infinitum

When, pray, did you decide that this was a reason not to do it again? 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Big Dummy – since I grew up ( or tried to) I have a couple of reminders not to argue with numpties stuck to my 'puter. sometimnes I forget they are there in the heat of the moment.

Just wait 'till I rule the world – be very afraid.

"I've got 'em on the list; and they'll none of 'em be missed "

enfht
    Free Member

Looks like the Scotish nationists will get their way eventually. What a shame that English nationalism has been effectively outlawed because of the BNP.

Judging by Holyrood's architecture and the amount they overspent to build it, I'd give the Scots ten years before they'll come crawling back covered in porridge and whisky. "Too late" we shall cry from the other side of Hadrian's Wall MK II. 😆

I (still) blame Mel Gibson.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Holyrood's architecture

contradiction in terms there, no?
    And how long before thye lights go out because we've got the hydro power and enough space for wind farms?

And if you want FACTS, real FACTS, millions of them, in great big long essays, full of FACTS, mostly nothing to do with the post, but FACTS nontheless, Grizzly Ernie's yer man. TJ's an amateur by comparison with that towering FACTbucket.

And by finishing this post with this word, I render it an indisputable
    FACT!

FACT!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Queen addresses Holyrood on 10th Anniversay of Scotish devolution.’ is closed to new replies.