Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Quechua phone review?
  • heisenberg
    Free Member

http://m.quechuaphone.com

Anyone got one? I am waiting for this in my local decathlon before purchasing but seems they dont have one instore 🙁

Mackem

..looks interesting.

heisenberg
    Free Member

Waiting for this since xmas ..favor this over the fancy iphone5 ..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cynic-al
    Free Member

nowt on gmsarena

Mackem

..it’s in stock on the Spanish decathlon website… Hmm, birthday coming up.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I heard they were a rebadged Motorola Defy.

heisenberg
    Free Member

Mackem.. Are you in spain?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Its an Archos something or another

Mackem

Heisenberg – si senor.

ninfan
    Free Member

Have had one since just after Xmas – so to update what I said on this thread:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/any-decent-android-phones-with-a-4-45-screen

Deviant – I bought one of the Quechua phones this week

going up from my HTC, I’m very impressed so far

Warning, when you first take it out the box, its big!

However I’m finding that a blessing – much better for emails and bloody brilliant with map/gps, even OK for programmes and kindle – and its actually not a lot bigger than an iPhone or similar in a water resistant case

First day or so I was a bit worried about the battery life, not what I expected, then realised I had had GPS running all day – after installing the 2x battery life app which powers down things not in use, its currently reckoning that it will stay on standby for another 374 hours…

Voice is very clear

Its got some nice functions in the settings like a warning on monthly data use – since its unlocked I can get a cheap sim deal from any of the big companies

Only complaint so far is that the camera is not very good – however improved a lot after changing some of the settings, but still not brilliant.

overall, I’d say it’s *almost* the perfect phone to have in your camelbak – if the camera was a little better it would take the title

Just wanted to follow up on the Quechua mountain phone

after my earlier comments on the camera, after continuing to play with is I realised that a lot of the problem was with the compression, so I dumped the OE camera software and installed Camera FV-5 instead, which will save pictures as PNG files – so its transformed it from bloody terrible camera to pretty actually acceptable for a phone camera, and with a 32 gig SD card, loads of room.

and the battery life is great

So, essentially, still think the same – its great but the camera really isn’t up to much – if you’ve got good light, then it can turn out an OK photo – e.g:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2883/11928974706_2b8cca4c02_o.png

But more often they end up very noisy like:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3720/11928977906_5c5826e743_o.png

Other than that – yes, great for GPS, great for emails – dropped it out my pocket yesterday on Tarmac with no problem and no marks.

I got a pouch designed for the Samsung Note 3 for the outside of the camel bak, and fits perfectly. I got a pack of screen protectors for the Note 2 as well, and they fit ok.

Thats all so far really.

alexb
    Free Member

Can you tell me how you are using it? Presumably not for navigation?
    I was wondering how well a handset like this might work for on the go route finding and navigation -planning to use it like a car’s GPS really.

I’ve used an older eTrex GPS system for turn-based navigation, but had long thought that a phone might do a better job.

Thanks for any feedback

ninfan
    Free Member

Well, thought I’d update on this and say that I killed it last weekend, fell out my pocket and shattered the gorilla glass, though still functioning – despite the advertising saying it was designed to withstand falls of 80cm on all sides (well, the decathlon site says 80cm, the box says falls of 1 metre.)

To their credit, Decathlon have offered me a full refund, so got to go and shop around for a tougher replacement 🙁

richmtb

If you want a rugged smartphone get a Samsung XCover2

soma_rich
    Free Member

If you want a rugged smartphone get a Samsung XCover2

Just be prepared to Root it as you only get 1GB available internal storage and no way to transfer apps otherwise!

parkesie
    Free Member

Ive just started using a cat b15 tough phone seems ok so far few drops and plenty of rain and a dunk in the bath no damage.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Quechua phone review?’ is closed to new replies.