Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Quarterhorse owners….
  • Gotama
    Free Member

How do you find the sizing? I’m 6ft 3 albeit slightly monkey in proportion so would fit smack bang in the middle of their sizing for XL but looking at the geometry sheet I’m a bit worried about the seemingly short reach measurement. My Yelli is c.450mm whereas these come in at 427mm which is 20mm shorter than pretty much anything else on the market for that size save for downhill bikes. I like running my 55mm stem and don’t want to go out to a long stem to compensate. Already use wide bars too. Of course a quick sit on an XL would solve the issue but that is not going to be possible. A I fussing over something that is largely irrelevant when riding?

SSStu – if you see this….what size is your yelli, how tall are you and what size QH did you go for?

singlespeedstu

I’m on a large QH and medium Yelli.
    6′ with a 32″ inside leg.

The Yelli is a tad on the small side for me TBH but it came second hand at the right price..
    The QH is a much better fit.

Gotama
    Free Member

Thanks, that kind of confirms my thinking. If you’re in the bottom half of the QH sizing then it’ll be perfect, top half and they start coming up a bit short. Might see if I can get hold of a teeny 35mm stem for the yelli and give that a go to get an idea.

accu
    Free Member

Im 6.2 with a 35″ leg on a large QH..50mm stem… while I like shorter frames it`s perfect for me !
    but needs a long seatpost…..
    older pic from my SJ..

Clink

I’ve got a medium Slim Jim. 5’10”. 70mm stem and set-back post and it’s same ett as my ‘standard’, an 18″ On-one 29er frame.

Gotama
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Accu I think I may just be used to longer bikes after riding the yelli but that’s not to say I wouldn’t like the shorter QH. Used to love hoofing around on my Alpine and I very much doubt that is anywhere near as long as this. Same with the 18 inch five….which on that subject its annoying i cant find any reach figures for either on google. Just an expensive punt to take 😕

Clink – ett I’m not fussed about as this is just a pedal up at a relatively sedate pace and then go as fast as possible down bike. Got a swift for other stuff.

accu
    Free Member

gotama…had an MK1 alpine (loved it, looking forward to the MK3) and have an orange five, 18″…(2009 model,new geo)
    so..later this evening I can check the reach of the five if this helps..

Gotama
    Free Member

If Mike would just make a mk3 alpine in 29er that would be my bike choice solved!

That would be great if you could check the reach on the five.

Cheezpleez

Dunno if this is any help – I’m a different height and my experience is with different bikes but anyway…
    I’ve recently bought a Buzzard after riding a medium Yelli. The Buzzard also has a shorter reach than the Yelli and I was a little worried it might be too short. It definitely feels shorter but if anything I prefer it for the kind of riding these bikes are intended for.

Gotama
    Free Member

Thanks cheez, appreciated. Going to check if a mate’s Santa Cruz is a similar as its only a large as a first step.

Candodavid
    Free Member

6ft, 32″ inside leg, ride a large QH and its fricking awesome, going to Brecon tomorrow for a bit of a hoon about.

Where are you? You can try mine for size if your in Somersetshire

accu
    Free Member

just measured my five,new geo, size 18″,with pike forks…
    reach is about 416mm, ..(and stack 580mm )
    checked my QH to proof my measurement method and it seems to be quite exact..

Gotama
    Free Member

That’s great, thanks accu.

David – just south of London so a fair distance away unfortunately, appreciate the offer though.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Hey, if your ever hitting the Quantocks though, give me a shout

mattjg
    Free Member

@gotama what do you think the QH will give you that the beloved Yelli doesn’t?

I’m with Cheez on fit (I’ll be putting a shorter stem on my Yelli soon, and adding some travel to raise the bars).

I’m also not seeing any downside, in terms of speed, to the shorter/wider/higher fit. Maybe for knocking out 20 miles on a fire road the classic long/low/narrow fit is better, but for the 2-3 hour fun, and very varied, rides we do it’s not material.

mattjg
    Free Member

I took a look, smart frames. How does the Slim Jim differ from the Quarterhorse, and what kind of price do these come in at?

Bugger. Look wot u dun.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Slim Jim is 120mm travel QH is 140

Clink

Slim Jim is 120mm travel QH is 140

Nope. Geo the same – both will take same forks.

Clink

SlimJim shares 95% of genetics and characteristics with our Quarterhorse. The only difference is the max tire clearance of 2.25″ and a seatpost diametre of 27,2mm.

Geo chart list 140mm forks too.

Gotama
    Free Member

@matt…. What will the QH give me the yelli can’t…..a new bike 😀

More seriously I’ve always loved the look of these frames, particularly the Germanic build quality. I’m one of those people that also loves nicolai bikes. The yelli was a second hand ‘cheap’ way of trying big wheels out on a, dare I say it, hardcore hardtail and it is a great frame but this is one of those frames I’ve always hankered after, bit like a by:stickel although that’s another step again. As it happens my swift has the same reach as the QH so ive stuck a silly short stem on that for a play and I’ve jacked the yelli back up to 140mm from 120mm to make the reach a bit shorter and the stack higher. Probably massively faffing over numbers but these are bloody expensive hardtail frames and I doubt the second hand market is that great if I find it too short.

Oh and price….985 euro for the frame plus 25 for shipping which is neither here nor there.

mattjg
    Free Member

I can see the appeal, geo is v similar to Yelli though so I think you need to break that first.

Price comes out very similar to a new Yelli, but it’s 853. I rode a buddie’s El Mariachi the other day and could instantly feel the softness in the rear compared to my Yelli.

mattjg
    Free Member

I’ve jacked the yelli back up to 140mm from 120mm

How does it feel? I’m tempted to go up from 120mm to emulate the Buzzard fit a bit closer.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Quarterhorse owners….’ is closed to new replies.