Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Quarq Shockwiz…
  • gontxonos
    Free Member

Hello, I have seen that this device makes a very good adjustment of the fork and the shock absorber.

Is it worth your purchase to leave the bike perfect?

Thanks!.

jam-bo

i’ve borrowed one. i wouldnt buy one.

loads of places rent them

gontxonos
    Free Member

The problem it is that in my city nobody have this device :(.

Leku
    Free Member

I have one. Three of us clubbed together and got one when the Kickstarter happened (for £140).

It’s useful, but not £350 useful. Where abouts are you?

gontxonos
    Free Member

I’m from Spain :).

Leku
    Free Member

Basque?

I’ll be just outside of Gernika next month for a few days. You are welcome to borrow mine.

gontxonos
    Free Member

Close, from La Rioja. About 120km from you.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

In my experience, if you understand the effects of the individual settings such as pressure/sag, rebound and compression damping, and how they work together, then you have no need for one.

Basically, if you’re a beginner, they’re worth hiring. Wouldn’t buy one though.

bedfordrd

My club has purchased one for full members to borrow. It’s a smidgen faffy, but has helped me tune my forks to a tune I think is perfect for me, that particular bike and the terrain. It suggested 5% here, 2 clicks there and a token or 2, and the fork, from feeling ‘ok’ now feels bl00dy fantastic!

Now need more setup sessions for the shock.

So it’s worked for me, but don’t expect a quick tune up – and don’t use it when riding with your mates, as they’ll get fed up of waiting while you calibrate, adjust etc. and just bugger off and leave you!! Best to set a couple of hours aside and either ride solo, or have someone along that’s very patient.

honourablegeorge

You can fit it and calibrate it at home and ride later/the following day/etc.

We have a club one I borrow now and then, it’s generally only confirmed that Mojo know what they’re doing with recommended settings. No way I’d buy one, the sellig price is crazy high and it’s somethign you really only use once or twice on a new fork/shock, but borrowing or renting for a day or two is worthwhile

dirkpitt74

I keep meaning to see about hiring a pair of these.
    Can you get data from front & rear on the same ride or do you have to do them one at a time?

tomhoward

If you have 2 then yeah you can run them at the same time and it’ll record both

honourablegeorge

dirkpitt74 – Member

Can you get data from front & rear on the same ride or do you have to do them one at a time?

The unit itself records data, so you hyst connect to the one you want to read from, don’t even need to bring your phone with you.

samsam
    Free Member

I am struggling to understand my shockwiz: it constantly told my to reduce pressure, which i did until on a gnarly descent i bottomed out 46 times in 12 min. Shockwiz now proposes to REDUCE pressure and REMOVE spacers. WTF? I dont need a fancy tool to understand that this doesnt make sense. Is it broken or am i doing something wrong here?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

set rebound to halfway
    set compression to halfway

ride

its the rob warner way

jam-bo

I am struggling to understand my shockwiz: it constantly told my to reduce pressure, which i did until on a gnarly descent i bottomed out 46 times in 12 min. Shockwiz now proposes to REDUCE pressure and REMOVE spacers. WTF? I dont need a fancy tool to understand that this doesnt make sense. Is it broken or am i doing something wrong here?

Travel/compression rate set wrong?

benpinnick

At the risk of getting admin-ed but to help a fellow STWer @gontxonos drop me an email ben@bird.bike. I can sort you out if you want.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Did you calibrate the shock correctly prior to starting? I have one and it’s not done that but I lent it out to someone who didn’t do the calibration and they got some interesting results.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Must just be me then. I bought one at full price and despite understanding suspension I’ve found it a useful tool.

I’m not sure hiring for a weekend or borrowing it fir a few days will be a lot of use unless your settings are way off to start with.

It can take a bit of time to learn the shockwiz before you start getting the most out of it.

I’m currently using mine to help me tune the shim stack in my pike after it confirmed my thoughts that the compression was too firm.

It’s also really useful for helping set up the wife’s suspension as she can’t give the detailed feedback I’d need for fine tuning.

Suspension is a compromise so it’s worth a bit of thought as to where you want it optimised. I like mine to be working best when things get rowdy so I’ll happily compromise a bit of wallow elsewhere.

tillydog
    Free Member

I’m currently using mine to help me tune the shim stack in my pike after it confirmed my thoughts that the compression was too firm.

I would be really interested to know more about this (what you’re trying, and what Shockwiz tells you).

Onzadog
    Free Member

At the moment, I’m just playing at it. Seeing if I can feel a difference and if I agree with shockwiz in terms of what I feel. I’ll start with extreme adjustments like taking out all the preload and then removing half the shims. A bracketing process I guess.

However, that’s on hold while I try to get my new x2 somewhere close. I’m concerned it might not have enough progression for my frame.

LittleNose
    Free Member

Im a complete beginner on the suspension setup stuff, so after hearing about them on here, I picked up a Shockwiz this week too, so took it out for a test yesterday.
    I found that after a couple of very short runs it had already given me some useful feedback that made the bike feel better. I quickly got the point where it was giving me the “all green” results (other than compression – which I didn’t think I could change on the RCT3 Pikes?
    By saying “feeling better” I mean that although I wasn’t going any faster, I wasn’t hanging onto the bars with a death grip and I wasn’t so shattered at the end of the run.
    With the bike feeling better, I went and enjoyed the rest of the afternoon and then checked on it at the end of the day… with more data from different run types including a few Moreno big hits, it’s now giving me a the suggestion of adding a spacer… the bike already rides better, and I’m looking forward to trying the changes as it suggests.
    All in, I think for me it was the second best money spent on mountain biking (first place still goes to coaching).

alpin
    Free Member

Very interested in giving this a go… My last fork was a coil Lyrik and there wasn’t much to adjust on that other than swapping the spring for a harder one… So many settings on my 36 Factory that I’m a little lost. Also current bike being my first FS I’m not really sure what I should be expecting from the rear.

Only really babbling in order to bookmark this Fred.

samsam
    Free Member

No, went through the calibration wizzard step by step more than once and it always came out with the same result for the comp ratio. Also re-set the baseline pressure each time i let air out. However when set to “Balanced” it all makes more sense. “Aggressive” doesnt seem to work, the feedback makes no sense!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Quarq Shockwiz…’ is closed to new replies.