Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Quantocks trees down
  • leec247
    Free Member

Just got back from a quick ride round on the quantocks and I can’t believe how many trees have come down. It’s to the point I’m not going to bother to rush back up there. Does anybody know who’s in charge of clearing them up?? So it’s rideable again

jam-bo

Does anybody know who’s in charge of clearing them up?? So it’s rideable again

its not a trail centre….

leec247
    Free Member

I know that that’s why I prefer riding up there. Just never seen anywhere near that many trees down before blocking the trails everywhere

jam-bo

i think sharki was trying to organise some work parties to sort some out. i doubt anyone will be paid to do it.

leec247
    Free Member

Well if he puts something up on here I know a couple of us that would be up for helping out

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Buy yourself a hand chainsaw and a pruning saw. It’s a surprise what you can do yourself.

w1zard
    Free Member

I’ve often thought about getting one of those hand chainsaws to tackle the trees that are down across trails, but always doubted they would be up to it.

Could you actually do a full tree with one? Or would it take an unrealistic amount of time?

Anyone used one before on more than a branch?

oxym0r0n

Cleared a few big branches on Wed. If we all do our bit, it shouldn’t take long – just the big tree trunks that are tricky

SOAP
    Free Member
    MarkBrewer
    Free Member

I took my 24″ bow saw up with me this afternoon and cleared a fair bit of the chimney. I ran out of time though so there’s still one you’ll need to duck under and a bigger one near the bottom that I got halfway through.

knottie8
    Free Member

I cleared a few the other week too . Its not trail pixies that clear trails you know .

coatesy
    Free Member

Met a group around Caephilly area a couple of weeks back, all moaning about the fallen trees meaning they had to get off and find ways around them, the two of us then went on to clear them out of the way on our own. It’s surprising how easily a lot of them move when you try, and how long they’ll block the trail for when you don’t.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’ve used a pretty standard one to cut through approx 4 inch branches. Depending on how they’re sprung they can be a battle, but that still covers most issues.

Like Knottiest says, there are no such thing a trail fairies, so pitch in!

leec247
    Free Member

I’m hoping to get back up next weekend. Haven’t been up there since Xmas cause of work. Didn’t realise it was so bad for fallen trees. See what I can do to clear some bits

joat

Are these on rights of way? (I don’t know the area). If so your local rights of way officer will hopefully sort it out.

bobsoff2
    Free Member

Trying to get people up there on Sunday… 10ish from Crowcombe park Gate C/Park. Bring ure saws, stop moaning and get clearing !
    Rights Of Way People can’t do it all, and Rangers only have limited “hands” !
    The More the merrier !!!!

saladdodger
    Free Member

bobsoff I may see you up there cos I am up there with another trail monkey

saladdodger
    Free Member

bobsoff I may see you up there cos I am up there with another trail monkey/ bafoon

bobsoff2
    Free Member

Trying to get people up there on Sunday… 10ish from Crowcombe park Gate C/Park. Bring ure saws, stop moaning and get clearing !
    Rights Of Way People can’t do it all, and Rangers only have limited “hands” !
    The More the merrier !!!!

Waderider
    Free Member

I clear trails round here. I use seige tactics on the biggest trees, and have NEVER been beat.*

*There was once this mature Douglas Fir across Stoneymeadow Clagfest, but someone else came in with heavy machinery and dealt with it. I had a plan – bivvy beside it regularly with a camp fire under the trunk. Desperately thick trunks require desperate measures………….

bobsoff2
    Free Member

Ahhhh… Mr saladoddger, we meet again ! 🙂

saladdodger
    Free Member

bloody hope not I have heard of your sorts

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Will try and get there sunday but i’ve got some unfinished business to sort out with this one first 😆

sharki
    Free Member

Brewer, i’d cut to the left about 6 inches to stop it pinching due to the lack of support under the cut 😉

I’m still tempted to take the mansaw, even without public liability insurance.

If ROW and the AONB can’t get round to the big stuff.
    Hmm!
    Shame to waste time and man power cutting just the wee limbs only.

See you there guys.

ahsat

I’d def be there if I didnt live 350 miles away – love the Quantocks! Thanks guys for your efforts.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

I made a bit of a schoolboy error on that one 😆 What you can’t see is the big lump of mud/roots still attached just out of shot, it needed cutting in 2 places due to the size of it but unfortunately I got carried away and cut the wrong bit first 😳

failbiker
    Free Member

I’ll try and get some of the Weston Super Mare guys to come down on Sunday. No guarantees, mind you, but if we can be there to help out we will.

Northwind

Hand chainsaw is very effective- basically only limited in the size you can cut by the length of the saw and how much arm you have. Handles on mine wore out though 🙁

Sometimes think it’s easier with a hand chainsaw than a bow-saw… Bowsaw cuts faster and better, but burns up my arms far faster, the open, rolling action of the chain is slower but more sustainable. More muscles involved I guess.

Also, buying a humungous bowsaw seems to have a deterrant effect on trees- I got one last year because of the incredible amount of winterkill, and I’ve barely seen a tree down since (and those that were, were mostly hanging).

On that note- don’t **** with a hanging tree unless you know what you’re doing. Can go very bad very quickly.

oxym0r0n

Rangers were up last night at DWD around 7.30pm, saying there is just too much for them to deal with!

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

I went back to finish that tree off this afternoon and some kind person had beaten me to it 😀 I cleared the other ones further up so the chimney is totally clear now. I was better prepared this time and took an old car jack to take the weight whilst I cut it!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Quantocks trees down’ is closed to new replies.