Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Quantocks tomorrow afternoon
  • sambuka
    Free Member

Tomorrow AM = lots of rain, but PM potentially dry. What are the trails like, will it be a quagmire or do they dry out quickly?

Would you do it?

Thanks!

sambuka
    Free Member

bump

kraftyone
    Free Member

holds up fairly well, there will be some big puddles on the top of the ridge but most are avoidable. The trails I did last weekend were in great condition (Smiths, Weacombe, Frogs, Holford, Hodders, Stert etc) The final bit of the trail in/out of holford car park is a bit muddy, but nothing major. Quantocks always put a massive smile on my face, go and enjoy!

sambuka
    Free Member

thanks! which is your favourite descent?

jam-bo

concrete block!!!

kraftyone
    Free Member

Too many to choose – they all have their own charms – there’s another post on here that goes into a lot more detail on various combes.

kraftyone
    Free Member

Jambo – where is this mythical “concrete block” – I’ve been exploring using an OS map for the last few weekends and it’s clearly not officially called concrete block combe!!!

jam-bo

Do you know where the great bear comes out? turn up the road left from there, about 50yds on the right there is a big concrete block.

kraftyone
    Free Member

I’m guessing the concrete block marks the start of a descent – is it really obvious once you spot it?

kraftyone
    Free Member

Do you mean where great bear crosses the five lords road?

ndthornton
    Free Member

where is concrete block?

jam-bo

pretty much. drops you into the bottom of lady’s combe where the gully from dead womans ditch car park opens up.

found this on youtube. can be ridden a lot faster…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF_dXQ4pUiw[/video]

kraftyone
    Free Member

Another one to check out this weekend – cheers Jambo. Quantocks are the hills that just keep on giving!

jam-bo

check out the descent on the left hand side of frog combe as well if you can find the entrance.

kraftyone
    Free Member

Haha, think I found that one by mistake last weekend… is it the one with a lone tree at the top, starts grassy, turns a corner into a roots, more roots, then some roots increasing in size then onto a nice single track roller coaster?

jam-bo

that’s the one.

ask sharki if its a good place to puncture a lung, on your own, at dusk…

kraftyone
    Free Member

jesus, thanks for that (I was on my own at the weekend) – I used to love weacombe until someone pointed out the hidden drop on the right that I’d never noticed!!! Any other combes you’d like to spoil 😉

jam-bo

well, dibbs put a compound fracture in his ankle on the ridge track? had to hop half a mile to the road from memory…

kraftyone
    Free Member

(just kiddin!)

ndthornton
    Free Member

jam bo

Is Concrete block really your favorite?
    Just watched the video – and perhaps it doesn’t do it justice but having discovered Somerton, Frog, and Bin recently that one doesn’t look all that amazing. Is it steeper than it looks on the GoPro?

kraftyone
    Free Member

I thought that too – but having watched videos on most of the trails up there they never do them justice.

jam-bo

Is Concrete block really your favorite?
    Just watched the video – and perhaps it doesn’t do it justice but having discovered Somerton, Frog, and Bin recently that one doesn’t look all that amazing. Is it steeper than it looks on the GoPro?

video doesn’t do it justice at all. its pretty short but some fast corners at the top, then steepens up and gets properly loose for a bit,

then once your into lady’s combe its a flat out blast through some streams, then into the speeder bike alley aka holdford combe..

oxym0r0n

Not too bad conditions up there today – lots of puddles but all quite rideable. Lots of 4x around – trailing or somesutch??

jam-bo

Lots of 4x around – trailing or somesutch??

is it hunt season yet?

the hunt ‘followers’ seem think that gives them the right to roam.

oxym0r0n

Yes, think it was a “hunt” or whatever they call it these days?!

Proper misty this afternoon and spooky with horses appearing out of nowhere!

sambuka
    Free Member

Does anyone have a gpx file of Quantcks Killer Loop from the SW Mountainbiking book?
    Or another good loop there? 30-40k
    Thanks

ndthornton
    Free Member

Does anyone have a gpx file of Quantcks Killer Loop from the SW Mountainbiking book?

YHM

sambuka
    Free Member

Didn’t find the hunt or concrete block, but the ride was awesome, I think my favourite descent was Holford Coombe – lots of little drop offs, lots of water, good times!

Rain held off until the last 45 mins which was very wet, but felt like proper uk mountain biking!

No quagmires involved.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Quantocks tomorrow afternoon’ is closed to new replies.