Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Quantocks ride 21 st march….
  • sharki
    Free Member

The date is pretty much set and as the other thread is a mess and has turned into a chat room i’ve started this new one.

So all those who ARE coming post here and/or mail me at…..
    mtbsharki at yahoooooooooeeeeee dot co dot uk

For those that are interested but unsure if they will be, still let me know.

It’s Aleighs ride so please don’t expect changes.

For anyone who wants a full weekends riding to inc friday night and the sunday, let me know as i’ll be about for it all.

As for the weather..well last march the trails were dusty :-)her’s hoping..

And just for the hell of it and to upset dibbs here’s a taster..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRmVA1N8Rfo&feature=PlayList&p=AE82F89F3E303AA7&playnext=1&index=5

snaps
    Free Member

Put me down – its my birthday!

peteimpreza

I’l be there on the Saturday

sharki
    Free Member

Snaps, my vet only deals with domestic animals…..

oxym0r0n

Yes please (if I’ still free) ~ I think we met briefly and had a passing conversation last summer in a well known tea room… I think I was with Dibbs…

crispybacon
    Free Member

‘err I thought that IHN was the contact for the STW Quantocks bash?

ygm 😀

dropoff

me and mrs dropoff will be there

bagpuss
    Free Member

Yes please 😀

I’ll bring cake or something.

snaps
    Free Member

I should have seen that coming & you should have put boom boom at the end

oldfart

Sharki would the Sunday be any good for my RTRR ?or too full on?oh bugger i just remembered no tea van on a Sunday.what’s the Plough like?heard they were a bit sniffy about muddy cyclists?

aleigh
    Free Member

He is in terms of that email that went out.

I of course will be there!! Thanks lads for offering to show me and these lovely other people around – it’s much appreciated 😀

IHN

I’m coming.

I’ll be on the ride too. I may be bringing others.

It was her idea, I just put it to Da Massiv. I’ll let sharki be head organising honcho (unless he wants me to do it).

sharki
    Free Member

Aleigh, i hope you don’t mind me doing this, fail to plan, plan to fail and all that..

We’ll let all these meet up on the 21st and we’ll meet on ‘that’ other secret date….;-) seriously though if you’d rather it was a smaller group ride we should arrange two groups, the bigger the group the bigger chance of mechanicals and delays, and with only about 6 hrs of riding we may struggle to do the 35mile loop….

Oldfart, the 22nd would be fine by me at this stage, the ‘plough’ will not be getting my custom, combe house hotel or hood arms.

IHN, just sort your end out let me know, earlier the better start as it’ll take all day to get the convoy round.

knottie8
    Free Member

35 MILE QUANTOCK LOOP !

IHN

I’d struggle to do a 35 mile loop on my own. Not a chance we’d do it with a big group.

Maybe best to play it by ear on the day, either two groups, or a big group/shorter ride.

crispybacon
    Free Member

35 MILE QUANTOCK LOOP !

if we finish early can we go round a second time ? 😉

aleigh
    Free Member

It was her idea

lol!

It’s going to be great fun whatever happens, I’ll let you decide between you as you know what will work best 😀

we’ll meet on ‘that’ other secret date

ok, sounds like a plan! 😉 😆

oldfart

so whats the story with the plough?i’ve experienced the cyclists welcome at combe house snotty looks and a 2nd mortgage needed.have you ever heard from stella?if we can drag knottie along that would be good.as yet haven’t had a pic taken of my bike leaning against a post!!!

knottie8
    Free Member

post pics ? what me ?

2 groups ? suits me as im more than happy to poodle around at a non-sharki speed/distance.

IHN

2 groups ? suits me as im more than happy to poodle around at a non-sharki speed/distance.

Bagsie in your group 🙂

cinnamon_girl

I really do want to come but am currently injured 🙁 Will there be a sick, lame and lazy group or shall I just join the Southern Shandy Drinkers group?

Can I let you know nearer the time, am waiting on a cortizone injection/amputation 😥

Also what bike, what tyres etc etc.

Thanks very much for sorting out this ride and I am more than happy to reciprocate at Swinley Forest. Can probably do B & B too.

Del

and me, but only if i can be at the back, behind bagpuss.

aleigh
    Free Member

Crikey you lot are NOT going to be slower than me 😆

Si
    Free Member

moi si vous plais

sharki
    Free Member

I was kidding about 35 miles, so RELAX, that’s saved for when i wander lonely through those summer evenings, the 55miler i did hurt me more so i only managed a little one on the sunday.

We’ll decide whether to run two group on the day, knottie can run the sociable group, steady pace, lots of pics, posts, etc.

I’ll do the other group and take you down some DH trails and generally beast myself stoopid trying to keep up.

But a big slow group sounds funner, not sure if the old burd at the layby cafe will like the look of a dozen or so hungry riders descending on her…

As for the Plough, he’s a pro hunt anti mtb bloke, that assumed me and a very cold group will be sitting outside to drink our drinks o a frosty december day…he’s told me he hate bikers and the quantocks should be keep as they were with just horses using them, etc.
    The new owners of the CHH knows that we need somewhere to feed and have plans in the future to convert the old wheel house for somewhere for us to rest and eat, etc.

cinnamon girl, you’ll be there, Knottie is half dead so you can keep him company 😉

cinnamon_girl

sharki – I’ll be more than half dead but am determined to throw myself down The Chimney again!!

RichPenny
    Free Member

Hello all, will be coming to this along with 3-4 others from Salisbury if thats OK. Mind, the thought of a 35 mile Quantocks loop is making me nervous! Have done 15-20 both times I’ve been previously. Think my lot will be looking for an early getout (after passing the cake round, obviously:))

r6ymy
    Free Member

I’ll be there on Saturday, have been once before when jonba showed me around. Will have to get some hill climbing practice in, it’s a bit different to Cotswold fields!

sharki
    Free Member

na! the glacer that’s on it at the moment is slowly squashing it into the ground, it’ll rise up somewhere out in the bristol channel, so bring a single speed.

tinmanmd
    Free Member

Hey Sharki would love to come on ur ride but unfortunately time and the fact that u are soooo far away doesn’t make it possible. keep the post coming love to read them.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

35 miles – we’ll die

I’m a possible – work dependant

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

21st March – I’m on board. There’ll be a few of the Plymouth lot keen too, I’d imagine.

saladdodger
    Free Member

me toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

can I be behind bagpuss

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“As for the Plough, he’s told me he hate bikers”

We’re the wrong (lower) social class I expect.

I’ll avoid the Plough in future.

sharki
    Free Member

I’m going to need some more cake tins at this rate….

Guys seriously it will not be 35 miles as that would equate to roughly 2000m+ of climbing/descent.

I do really need to get an idea of how many are coming over for this, so far it stands at around 22 riders, and that’s without the local non-stw’s that’ll no doubt turn up, so 30+ riders is a huge group for the litle hills.

If the weather looks good and anyone wants too, there’s a chance we could take over the picnic area in ramscombe and have a post ride spring BBQ bring/ cook yer own, would be a great way of kicking back and chilling afterwards, also a good sized parking area and the chimney as the final descent.

RichPenny
    Free Member

That doesn’t sound fair sharki, you guys are planning the ride, therefore the rest of us should bring cake. Like the BBQ idea a lot, although planning it might encourage torrential rain…

sharki
    Free Member

You are bringing me cake!
    Didn’t i make this clear???? 😡

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve got a 35 mile Quantocks route if you “really” want one, but as sharki says its over 5000ft of climbing.

Dinger
    Free Member

Count me in as well sharki, I will bring the Serena for cake eating comfort!

sharki
    Free Member

Wootage, another walker! 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Quantocks ride 21 st march….’ is closed to new replies.