Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Quantocks Question
  • kraftyone
    Free Member

Been up and exploring 4 or 5 times now in the last couple of months and have found a lot of the descents but my question is about the other direction…. going back up!

What’s the easiest way(s) back up to the ridge from Holford? I seem to go a different way every time with varying success!

jam-bo

depends where you want to be.

Hodders combe into lady’s edge is rideable 100% and puts you at the top of weacombe

Holdford combe into lady’s combe is nearly 100% rideable and puts you up by the crowcombe road.

Holford combe and then double back up skyline from the junction with frog combe puts you somewhere in the middle.

kraftyone
    Free Member

Cheers jam bo – could you suggest a shortish loop for a change from my usual.

For a quick blast I normally park in holford, head up to ridge, locate bicknoller post and then head down Weacombe (trying to ignore the drop on the right now it’s been pointed out to me!), back up via Stapleplain c.p. and then down Smiths, back up again and down one of the combes that drop back into Holford.

Was thinking of maybe parking somewhere else to try some other stuff but not sure where to start really. Any suggestions?

frogstomp

Apologies for the thread hijack but this seems a good place to ask.. what are conditions like in the Quantocks – does it hold up well in the wet? I’ve never ridden there before and hoping to get a ride in (probably the MBR one) this side of Christmas..

jam-bo

rather than smiths, climb back out of weacombe, follow the ridge back past bicknoller post and take your pick of combe to return to holford.

stert combe is a good one.

kraftyone
    Free Member

I actually quite like Smiths, after that I’ve tried stert, Somerton, Frogs (both sides), hodders, – I just wondered if it’s worth parking Bagborough end, anything worthwhile down that end?

kraftyone
    Free Member

frogstomp – I hear that it holds up quite well in the wet. I wouldn’t want to be up there in a torrential downpour or strong wind though as it’s quite exposed on the top of the ridge. Was up after a day or two of rain a couple of weeks ago and it was bit muddy in places but perfectly ride-able!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

My favourite is Bin combe.

jam-bo

lots but very different in character. classics are the chimney etc in great woods, DH tracks in cockercombe, even just the ridge can be fun on a good day.

dowsborough fort to holford is always worth a flat out blast.

the00
    Free Member

Lady’s Edge / Shephard’s Combe is probably one of the easier ways up, steep bit at the end.
    Steart combe is ridable, steep bit in the middle.
    There is a steeper climb up on to Black Ball Moor from Slaughterhouse Combe… and a similar climb from Holford Combe (at junction with Frog Combe) to Higher Hare Knapp.
    Lady’s Combe is the easiest from Holford Combe, but there is also a longer route back up and round Dowsborough.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Whats the best way out of Smith Combe?
    I normally turn right at the bottom which is a slog.
    Can you go left and then up through the dear park? – whats that like?

jam-bo

not to go down it in the first place. never been a favorite, never sure why it gets such praise.

ndthornton
    Free Member

not to go down it in the first place

I quite like it – Its better than Weacombe for me anyhow and it’d be a shame to miss out everything over that end….

jam-bo

I only really ever rode it if showing people around and they asked about it.

jonnouk
    Free Member

I normally turn right at the bottom which is a slog.
    Can you go left and then up through the dear park? – whats that like?

Yeah, the right is crap. If you go left for ~100m (just after the stream) then go left again, away from the fence, keep looking for a track going straight up the hill away from the trees (IIRC there is a solitary small tree 1/3 the way up). It’ll bring you to a grass track running across the hill. Don’t stop there as that track will bring you to partway down Smiths, keep going up to the top.

I must add, it’s ~90% unrideable.

mtbguiding
    Free Member

The climb up to the Hill Fort at Dowsborough is totally doable, as is Holford Combe (As Jam bo said I think?) as is Lady’s Edge.

Best way out of Smith’s is right for me. Seen it cleaned a few times though never made it personally. And then stay on the contouring track, which is excellent, all the way to Den’s Combe. Then head right after that.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Quantocks Question’ is closed to new replies.