Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Quantocks or Cwmcarn?
  • singletrackstinker
    Free Member

Both places just a touch under 3 hours away from home and ill be driving out and back tomorrow.

Ideally id prefer to ride the quantocks but am worried it will have turned into a quagmire in places.

Haven’t ridden the new red at cmwcarn yet but heading that way in nov.

Any Quantocks locals on here who can shed some light on the conditions? I’ll be riding the mbr killer loop.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve generally found the Quantocks hold up well in the rain. In fact it makes the stream crossings more fun. I did the new XC loop at Cmwcarn a few weeks ago and TBH I’d be more worried about that holding up after the rain.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Quantocks can be a bit boggy on the top but IME it generally holds up well, last time I rode there it was pretty wet. Some of the descents where a bit lively with limited grip and fingers crossed there was a “run-out” at the bottom 😯

rob2
    Free Member

I can see the quantocks out of my window :o)

It has rained a lot over night but it’s been dry as a done for the last few weeks.

On that killer loop I think most of it will be no problem as it’s quite rocky – smiths coombe, weacombe, climb out of holford etc all hold up fine.

If the really big loop tat goes into the woods on the south and east side that might get a bit boggy.

One thing I would say is that it is very overgrown in places due to the warm and wet weather (e.g. smiths coombe) so if it has been raining you might get quite wet from the water brushing off the undergrowth, but it’s a bit like return of the jedi speeder bikes twisting through the trees etc (well sort of).

Weather forecast for tomorrow is sunny in the quantocks and looking out I don’t think there will be anymore rain.

It’s obviously different to cwmcarn (which I love) so depends what mood you are in I think. Cwmcarn also has the two routes now so allows you to do one, have lunch and then the other.

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

Cheers gents.

I rode a shorter loop around the quantocks in the summer and really enjoyed it. This one seems to incorporate more of the stuff that I was looking at last time and wondering why it wasn’t in the route I was on.

Just remember there being a horrifically boggy bit shortly after little climb following a long grassy downhill bank. Can’t remember where it is on the route but it was about 4 inches deep and super claggy. This is what triggered the concern more than anything else.

Anyway, glad to hear that it shouldn’t be too bad. I’d much rather be making the best of the (potential) last of the natural riding in reasonable conditions before retiring to more resilient trail centre stuff (although points noted about the conditions on cafall).

Plus, didn’t fancy riding Cwmcarn now and in 6 weeks time when I’m up that way for the weekend…

By the looks of it this route starts off in a slightly different place – Holford rather than Crowcombe.

Can anyone shed any light on the parking situation? looks like there’s a carpark there, is it pay and display?

tomhughes46

Carpark @ Holford is free, but often gets busy. Can also park @ Triscombe stone, Crowcombe Park Gate and Dead Woman’s ditch for free.

Edit: As above Qs is pretty rocky and mostly ok all year round (and last year was a bit damp round these parts…)

rob2
    Free Member

Holford car park is free and fairly large. There’s also a few others near by. The first track as you go up holford Coombe might be a bit muddy but don’t let it put you off! I’d probably have a rear guard on to keep the spray off through all the stream crossings and some of the down sections . Enjoy!

Edit: too slow!

Dibbs
    Free Member

Ideally id prefer to ride the quantocks but am worried it will have turned into a quagmire in places.

Doubtful, the amount of rain we had yesterday was hardly enough to damp the dust down at the Lydeard Hill end of the Quantocks.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Quantocks or Cwmcarn?’ is closed to new replies.