Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Quantocks locals – some advice/pointers required if possible please.
  • stevede
    Free Member

Evening all,
    heading up from Cornwall for a weekend of riding at the end of the month for my birthday, doing Dartmoor on the Sunday round Lustleigh cleave (nutcracker,hound tor etc) on a nice rocky techy route and fancy re visiting the Quantocks for the first time in over a decade on the saturday.
    I’ve found a route on gpx online here: http://www.mtbtrails.info/Trail_Venue_Map_TrailViewer.aspx?VenueNumber=86&TrailNumber=125&Unique=634771976939351916
    and was just wondering if this was a reasonable mix of the decent stuff around the area, nice techy or fast flowy descents with climbing as necessary kind of ride?
    We’re also looking for cheap and cheerful camping too if anyone knows of any in the area.
    Much appreciate any help with this – was going to just do a trail centre on the sat but really fancy a nice weekend of natural riding.
    Cheers in advance,
    Steve

stevede
    Free Member

Bump for the Saturday crowd 🙂

stevede
    Free Member

Bump back into a new week and hopefully some nice helpful Quantocks locals 🙂
    Just about to book Moorehouse farm for camping as i’ve found an old thread recommending it, if anyone fancies showing us around (Sat 28th July) or suggesting a better route or good bits to find then that would be great, payment in the form of beer and/or cake supplied!

Cheers,
    Steve

Dibbs
    Free Member

Interesting route, it covers a lot of the good stuff (some of it in the wrong direction) but I’m sure there’s better routes out there.

stevede
    Free Member

Cheers for the reply Dibbs – definately don’t want to do the good bits in the wrong direction! Not overly bothered about doing a big loop or covering big mileage, more keen on getting some good descents in, happy to put the work in though to get the good decents just don’t want to waste half the day either looking for them or following a boring route.

thepurist

I’m not a local, but from my rides down there I’d suggest the climbs out of Holford could be done in the other order – if you went up the Gt Rd first then down Weacombe etc, then once back in Holford do the climb up Holford Combe then head over to Triscombe. All you’ll miss is the climb up Lady’s Edge & the relatively uninteresting N-S drag along the top. And on the way back down you could detour to Stert/Somerton rather than do the run back down Holford.

stevede
    Free Member

Cheers for that thepurist I’ll have a ganders on the map and see if I can figure it out.
    Cheers again,
    Steve

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Quantocks locals – some advice/pointers required if possible please.’ is closed to new replies.