Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Quantocks in Winter?
  • jonostevens
    Free Member

So, the wife and I have been looking to relocate our family to the Quantocks, and I’ve just accepted a job there.

I start on December 1st – so what awaits me that time of year? I’ve read the trails hold up pretty well in Winter, is that the case or have I got to wait until Spring for the fun to start?

Thanks all.

medoramas
    Free Member

All I can say – I’m bloody jealous…

oxym0r0n

All year round riding is possible and fun if you pick your routes carefully

It’s rubbish for riding until at least October

Dibbs
    Free Member

Sometimes it snows and it’s quite difficult to ride up there then. 😛
    And once or twice there’s been sheet ice up there and that can be tricky but I’ve only been walking and riding up there 33 years so what do I know.

jakehinton
    Free Member

Pretty good in the wet really, awesome riding not far away on Exmoor too.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’ve been in the late winter when all the trails local to me were pretty much impassable due to the depth of mud and yet the Quantocks were pretty much 95% rideable. It seem one of the least weather dependent locations that I’ve ridden.

csb

Had some magical rides there in the winter, deer silhouetted on a ridge with snow falling, crackling ice under tyres, lovely. Bloody cold mind.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Don’t listen to Dibbs.
    It’s true he’s been at it up there for years but he’s so old these days he’s losing the plot 😉

jonostevens
    Free Member

Thanks folks. This is encouraging. My local woods become a swamp in winter so the idea of being able to ride good trails in winter is ace.

Have ridden in the South West a few times in the past and fell in love with the trails both there and in Exmoor.

canopy
    Free Member

Certain parts of Quantocks are rideable year round – hell I rode today and it was worse than the conditions I rode in over the xmas break last year! Main thing that stops actual riding is actual rain – everything else, once you learn what gets boggy/doesn’t isn’t too bad. congrats btw!

ernie

Its just bloody amazing all the time.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Winter is quite entertaining, grassy and slate descents are sketchy as hell 🙂 Quite exposed as most of it is without trees which builds character.

Enjoy the new locale.

canopy
    Free Member

My mate still reckons one of the best rides we’ve ever done was on a cold icy 29th December a few years ago. Something like lydeard to Halsway, just a straight-ish ride. Weird because he’s normally a pain to get out in less than ideal conditions!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Quantocks in Winter?’ is closed to new replies.