Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Quantocks Bincombe Combe. Any pointers?
  • Bucko

I’ve tried a couple times now and just can’t find it. Approaching from the road just down from Concrete Block, I’ve searched the whole way along Great Bear with no sign of anything, not even tyre tracks. There is a wide footpath looking track that starts at the road but thats called Five Lords on a map.

Any advice or offers of a guide would be appreciated, I know the Quantocks and Triscombe quite well and have been a regular up there for a couple years but I just don’t know that side of the hills very well.

Cheers

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

It’s basically just a little down the road from the top of the Holford Combe climb. Not difficult to find.

jam-bo

Ride down from where the bear hits the road, on your right is a wide track that heads across the hill, veer left of this and stay to the left of the ditch/dyke.

When you hit the bottom, hike back up to the road to the left.

johnners
    Free Member

You’re nearly there, Five Lords is at the top of Bin Combe. What jam bo says, or take the track across the wee clearing from the top of Lady’s Combe and you’ll hit the road just uphill of Bin. Cross over, take the lh track. It starts wide but soon narrows. I’ve never joined it from Great Bear, I suppose you could in theory.

P20

[url=https://flic.kr/p/dbdVny]A few wet Combes[/url] by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

Bottom right of the photo. Easiest way I would say is climb Holford, very slight left at top down a track to the road, straight across. A truly glorious track that I love!

Bucko

Ah, so it’s not really accessed directly off of Great Bear. I know exactly where it is now, cheers guys

sharki
    Free Member

I know this has now hopefully been covered, but I fancied a good old waffle.

I’ve always joined it from great bear, by crossing the road and riding to the top of Ladies combe(not ladies edge) ride to the lone tree in the grassy clearing and look south for a gap in a earth bank. Go through there and follow the trail to the road again.
    You’ll see the five lords Trail marker to you’re right but you’ll be dropping in directly in front of where you should’ve popped out.

As Jambo says, keep left of the gully at the bottom, the trail does go through a wide gap in the bank there, but DO NOT follow that route, keep right of the bank and gully and stick to the single track, you will drop into the ditch for a 50 metre or so section before popping out into more sublime singletrack.

Keep left of the bank at all times, to get out you have 3 options.

1. Heading to the village of Nether Stowey, you’re best to avoid the worse of soggy bottom track by seeking out a rarely used (non)track that only myself and squirrels appear to use.
    To find this you’ll need luck, observation and holy proof clothing.

Staying right of the bank the trail climbs, nearing the dense cutting through holy trees, you should just make out an animal track heading off to the right, it’s vague and occasionally off camber, when you get to the holly trees, begin heading down and pick a slalom route directly down the fall line of the hill through, there is a way, but you will feel the holly leaves. At the bottom, find the gate to your left and go through it, then head straight on the Stowey.

2. To return to the old coach road, th one you crossed maybe 5 mins ago, follow the single track the climbs steadily left and back up the ‘Walford’s Gibbet’. Left on the road and that’ll take you to the north end of the great bear, etc.

3. Retrace your steps.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Quantocks Bincombe Combe. Any pointers?’ is closed to new replies.