Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Quantock Trails (map?)
  • SilentSparky
    Free Member

A few of us are heading down to the Quantocks tomorrow for the weekend, can only of you locals or anyone who knows the area well point out a couple of trails on a map for us to investigate?

If you'd prefer not to post these on a public forum can you email me (email in profile)?

Thanks 8)

sharki
    Free Member

unsure if i'm about, as i've no bike right now(personal plight) so doubtful i can offer some guiding.

Might well be out walking there though so don't run me over.

As for trails to investigate.

easy ones to find are:

stert, slaughterhouse, weacombe and smiths.

less easy is the concrete block trail, find dead womans ditch car park, take the left fork in the road towards the A39, descent the road looking for a trail head on the left, it's on a right hand bend and oddly has a concrete lump in the entrance, descent here and this will come out at the junction of ladys combe/frog combe/holford combe.

look for higher hare knapp, descend from the cairn on a grassy descent northwards, then either bare easterly down into hodders or climb slightly onto hare knapp and head north on grass till it starts pointing downwards(you'll naturally pick up speed here) the wide grass trail suddenly gets tight and twisty, left at the end into a grassy clearing,then bare left into hodders or straight on, though gate and down to the holford car park.

From crowcombe park gateway, pick up the BW to triscombe stone, after the third gate you'll come to a parking area, go left over cattle grid and just past the information post in the main parking area there's a trail off the road to the right, this runs parallel with the road and is a bonkers fun flat out(DH runs to the right off this trail send you down the forest road on the valley floor, more DH trails on the south side of this valley) when you pop out onto the road go right then left up a track, passing a barrier ed entrance on the right and just a few yard on as the track very slightly descends look right just past a prominent tree, GO DOWN into the dark…..! when this pops out onto an obvious forest track go right, straight on at cross roads, then continue for about half a mileish looking out on the left for a very very prominent gully, Go DOWN there, that's the chimney, beware of the tree just past the bed rock section.

So many more trails to find and enjoy…..have a good one.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Click here, this covers some of my favourites.

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Thanks guys, weather forecast looks good so no doubt it'll be a good weekend

carlphillips
    Free Member

contact sponging machine he's normally about and is keen for guiding people around up there

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Afraid it's Exmoor for me tomorrow, then off to Wales for a week.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Quantock Trails (map?)’ is closed to new replies.