Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Quantock – climb by Smiths Coombe
  • dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Great day on Quantock on Sunday, but wondered if anyone has ever managed to ride the climb from the bottom of Smith’s Coombe up to “higher ground”before the Greenway path? I just push up from the bottom now, better than disappointment of not making it past even the first 1/3.

Pretty specific question I guess, but anyone who knows it done it?

jam-bo

to the right? my money is on sharki and or dibbs have cleaned it.

I’ve made it to the root step and failed.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Yep to the right, root step is good effort – I get to the bend and that’s enough

samcheese
    Free Member

Yes.

I have.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’ve ridden it off and on over the years. Right now I’m not fit enough.

Brown
    Free Member

The steep and gravelly thing? Turn right across the stream at the bottom of Smith’s Combe? A fair few people I know can ride that. If it’s one I’m thinking of it’s just a case of sitting down and grinding away.

ndthornton
    Free Member

I think once- in the dry
    Could have been dream though

rob2
    Free Member

i can get to the grass bit then i die. its a fitness issue.

I find the climb later on when you have traversed round the edge of the quantocks and you go through that little stream and then sharp up the path absolutely impossible to clean.

orangeorange
    Free Member

Are we talking the ridiculous climb out from the drop down into the combe,ie through the stream x 5 times to the end near the bee hives,across the narrow plank then look up in disbelief ? Never even get close to cleaning that.
    Also the last bit of climb from Hodders Combe,Ladys Edge,always gets me too.

snaps
    Free Member

I’ve done it, all the way to Williboys – Maxxis Larson at just the right pressure & steady pedal strokes – took me 4 years of trying though.

beej

I’ve got just past the root step, couple of friends have got to the top.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Don’t ride Smiths combe much but did it for the first time last year on the hardtail, then again on the next ride 😆

That was running 2×9 with sensible gearing but I’ve changed to 1×11 now with a 34t chainring so could be hard work now. Seems to just be luck whether you spin out on the loose bit or not.

phiiiiil

I’ve done it a few times when I was local, younger and could use 22×34. Now though my last two trips down I’ve pushed up it with a mechanical gained while clattering down the rocky bit… 🙁

ontor
    Free Member

Yes. Alfine geared karate monkey. Not done it on the singlespeed, last time I got a long way up it before exploding and having to have a sit down 😳

yunki
    Free Member

How does this climb compare to the Lustleigh Cleave climbs..?(I really need to make the journey to the Quantocks this year)

ontor
    Free Member

Hmm, some in the cleave are worse (up from the bridge to water for example). I think the climb from the farm up to the old fort is on par. But it has been a good few months since I went to quantocks.

Pooley
    Free Member

I too think Dibbs has done it. Beyond the root, about halfway for me. Tough climb.

sharki
    Free Member

Yunki. Smiths climb is short and fairly steep. At only 100 metres long, it’s loose surface is the main issue as breaking traction results in lost momentum. Bad technique may also mean that the riders weight goes too fair back, to aid traction, which can cause a sudden wheelie sending us off to the side of the trail.(I did that lots)

I had more success on the single speed in clearing it, apart from when i snapped a chain and Knee slapped the brake lever clamp. Ouch!

It can’t really be compared to any Lustycleavage climb. imo

ART

A few times many moons ago when my bike was lighter & my legs were younger, absolute bastard of a climb.

Esme
    Free Member

Smith’s Combe is a scary place to be, when you encounter a huntsman on a huge horse, accompanied by a pack of hounds 😯

sharki
    Free Member

Esme. Scary indeed. I recall being confronted by a man with a couple springers. I was leading a group down there, saw a man with dogs, slowed and warned the riders behind me. But still he felt we endangered his expensive dogs. When one of our group got into an argument about it, the man placed his hand on a very machete like knife and threatened us. Luckily my subtle sarcasm distracted them. I got the riders climbing out safely and the man wandered off to the A39 in a right grump. He looked a bit like Jeremy Wade in poaching attire. Utter nutter!(Not the real Jeremy)

A knife welding nutter still didn’t increase the success rate of climbing out.

Also Smiths Combe has a history of being dead sheep Alley. Fewer places on the hills has more dead sheep per year, as Smiths.. Hmmm! Creepy..

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve only managed it a couple of times but I haven’t tried it recently but the last time I was over that way they “improved” the bridleway and it was a lot wider and easier than it used to be.
    The problem I used to get was the very top last 30 yards or so was steep but also slippery due to the loose rocks and gravel.

Edit: Many years ago I saw Festa Mullet clear it, but back then we where riding 3×8 with an 11-28 cassette, so even harder I recon.

hopster
    Free Member

Cleaned it a few times. Its easier since they sanitised it a few years ago.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Quantock – climb by Smiths Coombe’ is closed to new replies.