Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Quality steel rigid forks?
  • thepleasantpheasant
    Free Member

What are some high quality steel rigids these days? I have a few models in mind but am open to suggestion as the frame I’m riding allows me to be flexible with axle-to-crown lengths. They can be as low as 425mm or as tall as 470mm. I’m not bothered about weight.

For Surly owners, how are the Karate Monkey and Instigator forks like in terms of build quality and long term durability? They’re all over the map and seem somewhat of a monopoly on steel rigid forks nowadays. I’m interested to hear any problems you might have run into.

Have Identiti sorted out the tolerance issues on their 1420 forks?

There must be a few gems out there that I’m missing. If so I’m all ears 🙂

Thanks

yunki
    Free Member

it’s gotta be Salsa, Soma or Singular surely?

thepleasantpheasant
    Free Member

Can’t believe I forgot about Salsa.

Just had a look at the Soma straight blade 465s. They are lovely. Thanks for pointing me to them, I think they’re the ones I’ve been looking for this whole time 🙂

GrumpyDave
    Free Member

Salsa’s are great.

Andy-R

If they’re for a 29″ wheel, then Singular Hummingbird forks or Gryphon forks, which are the same (apart from colour) as they have 55mm offset which I reckon gives just about perfect geometry.
    Perfect for me, anyway…

Sam

Singular forks will also clear 3″ tyres. Not obviously available on the site but I do have extras for individual sale. Price is £90 including UK shipping. Drop me an email if you are interested.

tomd
    Free Member

Have a set of Salsa Firestarters. Nice forks, they are nicely finished and look good. Riding wise they are quite “twangy”, which helps with the comfort rigid wise but may or may not be something you’re after.

amedias
    Free Member

Salsa Cromotos a my current favourites.

Surly forks I’ve had have always felt a bit ‘bangy and crashy’, a bit too stiff. (Instigator and 1×1)

Kona P2s were lovely in the older 395-420mm triple butted versions, but since they started beefing them up for disk brakes and 29er lengths they’ve lost their edge a bit, and after a pair of mine collapsed I got a pair of Cromotos, absolutely lovely, comfy, track well, and kill a fair bit of buzz.

Soma was the other one on my list but have never managed to actually get a ride on them so can’t comment.

There’s some looong 510mm 29er Charge forks availabel for cheap on eBay at the moment, could be worth a punt as < £50 but might not be anythign special.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Must say I’m tempted, but they cost a few quid…

http://waltworks.blogspot.co.uk/2007/04/price-increase.html

Edit: Or there are others this side of the pond

http://www.daveyatescycles.co.uk/custom_bike_frames-Custom_Forks-29.php

karlsbug
    Free Member
    kahunajb
    Free Member

Can you actually get the Salsa Cromoto in 26″ anywhere these days?

I was looking for some fairly recently but couldn’t find any.

I have settled on some Surly Troll but out of stock and still awaiting delivery.

BillOddie

Surly Instigator forks are stiff as a very stiff thing.

Karate Monkey forks without canti mounts are much more compliant.

takisawa2

The Swift fork is identical to the Niner steel fork, but half the price.

Ok, splitting hairs, the Swift has a nicer disc mount; but having had both (disc mount aside) they were identical.
    I run a 3″ Knard in mine.

The only rigid fork I’ve really disliked was the On-One steel one.

Don’t overlook the Exotic alloy rigid either.
    It rides really nice for what it coasts.

nedrapier

kahunajb – tried Triton cycles?

That’s where I got mine. Hmmm. Not so recently now – 2 years. What happens to the time?

Edit – Call Charlie Bikemonger, I think he’s in touch with the distributor quite often. He’s got Salsa / Dimension bits in for me in the past.

grenosteve
    Free Member

My Karate Monkey is silky smooth with the stock forks…. well not silky, but very good for a rigid!

GregMay
    Free Member

OP – I have a set of Salsa Cromoto forks doing nothing if you’re looking for some. Email in profile.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Quality steel rigid forks?’ is closed to new replies.