Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Quality of ride on a Marin Rocky Ridge vs BFe or Blue Pig?
  • johnhe

Would I really notice a distinct difference in the comfort/zingyness of a BFe or a Blues Pig over my Marin Rocky Ridge? Or would running a larger rear tyre down at 20psi achieve the same thing?

johnhe

Bump.

johnhe

No really, if I change out the frame on my Rocky Ridge for a Blue Pig, or a BFe or whatever, will I be astonished that steel really does feel so much more zingy than boring old aluminium?

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Not sure about “zingy” but maybe perceptibly less harsh. I’ve done most of my HT riding on a steel bike and am about to buy a Blue Pig.

If you want zingy, you could maybe throw the carbon 456 into the ring?

BadlyWiredDog

I used to own a Rocky Ridge, to be honest, it rode quite softly for an alloy frame. The Blue Pig is more supple than ‘zingy’ – used to have one of them too – haven’t ridden a BeFe, but it has a reputation for being quite solid. If you want ‘zingy’ you’re probably better off with a Soul.

Will you notice the difference? Gawd only knows.

float
    Free Member

i got a blue pig coming off a gt avalanche, definitely noticed the lack of trail buzz on the blue pig but dont expect steel to flex around all the rocks on the trails.

br
    Free Member

Or run bigger lower pressure tyres and a carbon bar and post – probably achieve the same.

float
    Free Member

probably achieve the same

well will it or wont it? i presume youve tried the setup you suggest and have compared it to a steel frame then…

RustySpanner

I’ve access to two geometrically identical frames, one alloy and one steel.

Posted a lot about this before, but the tyres, seatpost and grips make more difference in feel and comfort than the frame material.

And heavier steel frames really aren’t particularly ‘zingy’
    How about some wheels?

johnhe

I’m not looking to specifically change anything on my bike. Reading articles about long forked steel frames makes me long for a new bike, so I was just checking that the grass isn’t all that green, before I do something stupid, or even worse, expensive.

drookitmunter
    Free Member

I’ve had a Rocky Ridge for about 6 years and still love it to bits. Keep it!

mrbump
    Free Member

you WILL notice a big difference between the the harshness of the ride of the rocky ridge compared to the softer ride of the blue big. i have owned a rocky ridge for a few year and i build up a blue pig last year using the the forks and a lot of the same kit of the rocky ridge. you will also notice that the bottom bracket height of the blue pig is a lot higher. thats why i now ride a ns surge.superb bike, slightly stiffer than the blue pig but not as harsh as the rocky ridge and faster and more nimble tham both 😀

13thfloormonk

I did a lot of off road touring on a rocky ridge, with a heavy rucsac to boot. I had a long Thomson seat post with layback, which must have taken some sting out of the rear end, and also a large tubeless tyre.

Either way it was probably more forgiving than the steel frame (original design Charge Duster) that preceded it. It was a great bike which I could perhaps have done justice by replacing the crappy bits on it, but instead replaced with a Whyte 905, which is awesome 8)

supafly1982
    Free Member

Ive recently just built a blue pig up, its great and ive took it on some pretty rough terrain, im loving it tbh. The BB does feel very high, im running 150mm forks and the bars are even high. I can notice it alot on techy steep climbs, might drop the stem down a couple of spacer and see how that goes, fail in that i might have to drop the travel.
    I was wanting U-turn or similer, i would advise this till you find how to run it.

johnhe

I’m going to drop the pressure in the tyres a little, although I run only about 30psi at the mo. Maybe shift up from 2.3’s to 2.4’s too. The geometry on the Marin is fantastic – I do love that bike.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

The rocky ridge is a really nice bike. The ride and the frame are top notch. People automatically assume that steel will somehow be wonderful and zingy, regardless of wall thickness, type and usage. I’ve ridden a lot of the long travel steel hardtails so beloved of this forum and many of them, to me at least fell like horrible harsh lumps of sh*t.

Don’t get me wrong, a steel xc bike with the right geo and the right degree of compliance can feel lovely but many do not. It doesn’t stop people going all “emperors new clothes” about them though.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Don’t get me wrong, a steel xc bike with the right geo and the right degree of compliance can feel lovely.

That’ll be my 2002 Kona Lava Dome then.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

GlitterGary

That’ll be my 2002 Kona Lava Dome then.

Agree 100%. Owned several 90s konas. Lovely things.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Quality of ride on a Marin Rocky Ridge vs BFe or Blue Pig?’ is closed to new replies.