Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Quality Manchester Drinking Establishments?
  • KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

As a Leeds resident I’m blessed with quality drinking establishments serving worldwide craft beers, real ales and local brews. North Bar, Friends of Ham, Adelphi, Brewdog, infinite amount of Leeds Brewery places, etc, etc.

I’ve been out in Manchester a few times over the years (Deansgate Locks, Northern Quarter, random spots in town that I can’t remember the name of, Oxford Rd) and I’m heading over on Saturday for the cricket followed by a bevvy or two.

My fave place of the last few years has been The Deaf Institute but can anyone recommend me any other similar places to visit?

Cheers

KoB

johnellison
    Free Member

Try the Old Monkey on Portland Street, The Old Wellington Inn and Sinclairs Oyster Bar in the Shambles (near the Cathedral) and Mr Thomas’s Chop House on Cross Street

binners

The Marble Arch is a good’un if real ale is your bag. As is the Castle on Oldham Street.

If you’re coming in from Old Trafford though, Cask is easy, if you jump off the tram at Gmex

stevehine

Also; there’s a brewdog in Manchester and if many + varied interesting beers are you’re thing check out the Port Street Beerhouse.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Ahh Yes, I’ve been Mr T’s Chop House. Cheers @johnellison. i’ll look up the other recommendations too.

@binners – is that the home of Marble Brewery?

Garry_Lager

It’s good that you’re looking to take the step up into premiership bevvying by visiting Manchester for some ale – it’s a tough step up from the skybet championship of Leeds, but it can be done.

The Briton’s protection is a popular alehouse for the more serious drinker, by the GMEX – it’s a Robinson’s pub so the ale is not that interesting, but it’s a nice spot for a session. Peverill of the Peak up the road is also good – an earthier establishment.
    There’s also a brewdog bar on St Peter’s place round the corner if you like the more US craft-beer style.

Would you be going back to Leeds by Victoria station? Because there’s a class alehouse / microbrewery right there called the Marble Arch. Sort of out on a limb though if you weren’t around there.

binners

The very one! The brewery is behind the pub. Its a lovely building! The foods good too

lowey

Lass’o Gowry
    The Vine
    City Arms

My favourite is Sams Chop House. Cracking little pub.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Garry please, on Yorkshire day too 🙂

Yep, I’ve bene in the Britons Protection too. Nice boozer. Brewdog I’m aware of, which is near the GMEX too.

Marble Brewery Marble Arch sounds very interesting and one I need to visit. I’m a big fan of their beverages. The interior on the website looks impressive.

Port Street Beerhouse looks like a winner too.

Cheers folks, keep ’em coming.

OrmanCheep
    Free Member

You could try the Gas Lamp on Bridge St.

Some good american beers, and a nice atmosphere / unusual surroundings.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Actually it might be Sams Chop House not Mr T’s. Or I might have been to both. Which ones near the Rice Bowl and Town Hall?

JIf
    Free Member

As already mentioned there’s the Marble Arch, The Castle, Briton’s, Brewdog and Port Street Beer House. Same people who run Port Street also have Common in the Northern Quarter and The Beagle in Chorlton (not in town but a mile or so from the cricket) which are good for craft style beers.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

All the ones youve heard already and the Bar Fringe and Highfield hotel on Swan Street.

ransos
    Free Member

I was up there for a stag do the other weekend. We went drinking (amongst other places) in the Oasthouse (Spinningfields) and the Whiskey Jar (northern quarter). Both had a really good selection of ales, but further details blurred by the alcohol abuse…

Pembo
    Free Member

The Knott Bar by Deansgate station has some cracking real ales. Again handy for jumping off the tram at GMEX or Deansgate/Castlefield as it is called now.

binners

You must have been pissed. Nobody would volountarily go to Spinningfields sober, surely? 😉

I’d forgotten about the Knott. That is another good boozer. And you’re a stagger away from Cask, The Britons and the Pev. A good selection there!

ransos
    Free Member

You must have been pissed. Nobody would volountarily go to Spinningfields sober, surely?

The beer was nice, that’s all I can remember!

TomHill
    Free Member

Mik – defo recommend Marble Arch too. Do really nice pub food as well as excellent Marble beers.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Cheers Tom. I think Marble Arch is a clear winner and must do at present with others on the shortlist. Sorry to hear about your (second) break. Not good. GWS.

It’s the dust I tell thee. It’s an alien riding surface.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

Binners the pev [ pererill of the peaks ] has gone shite, used to be good but I went in a few weeks ago , there was a poor selection of beers, they weren’t very nice and the place was a toilet

dazh

Go easy on the Pev, the landlady’s on her last legs, has two useless alcoholic sons who are not far from death’s door themselves, and the brewery treat them like sh*te. The Copper Dragon Golden Pippin in there though is beautiful and worth a visit on it’s own.

Other good venues:
    SandBar opposite the Deaf Institute
    Knott Bar opposite Deansgate station
    Fringe on Ancoats St

and if you don’t mind a short bus/train ride, then get yourself to Stockport to either the Crown or the Magnet which are way better than anywhere in Manc in terms of the quality of beer.

JIf
    Free Member

If you cross the river into Salford there’s also a few good places which are close to each other; The Kings Arms, The Crescent, The New Oxford

holster
    Free Member

+1 on Knott Bar – does good food as well, and a balcony upstairs if the weather is nice.

tmb467
    Free Member

The Bible

this is my mates website…they’ve been doing it for about 4 years now

teenrat

The angel which is just round the corner from the marble arch along with fringe

Garry_Lager

tmb467 – Member

The Bible

this is my mates website…they’ve been doing it for about 4 years now Nice site – I work at the university just near the old Plymouth Grove pub, always wondered what such a grand-looking alehouse was like when it was open. It’s a ruin now – in fact it may have even been knocked down, not cycled home via the Grove for a while.

tmb467
    Free Member

Aye – it started off as a prelude to going to the match…”try a different pub, lads?” and quickly became a challenge to do every pub in the city centre

which then expanded to visiting dodgy housing estates to look for old brewery pubs – and the historical side started to come out more

there’s enough material in there to write several books! Plymouth Grove took me back a fair bit though – I’ve been in Leeds for the last ten / eleven years and I remember it when it was still open

nbt

I’m not overly impressed with the Lass o’Gowry, nor really the Briton’s Protection. My personal favourite is the City Arms on Kennedy Street. No pretence at being “gastro” – food is crisps and if you’re lucky pork pies. They do though have 8 barrels on tap, and when a barrel is finished is swapped out for a different brew so you; can get some very interesting stuff.

http://pubs-of-manchester.blogspot.co.uk/2010/02/16-city-arms-kennedy-street.html

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I asked a similar question on a thread not so long ago. I always find that the company matters more than the establishment. Unfortunately I was let down on that front too. 😀

agent007
    Free Member

I know Friends of Ham and Arcadia in Leeds very well – both top quality bars of the highest order.

A lot of the real ale houses in Manchester centre (Northern Quarter excepted) are little more than dirty old mens drinking dens (maybe I’ve simply not found the good ones). I appreciate real ale like the next man, but I also like to drink that ale in a pub where there’s little chance in ending up in a fight, but a good chance of oggling an attractive and intelligent lady or two.

If you’re after the quirky, youthful atmosphere you’ll find in Friends of Ham then head south of the city (10 mins on the tram), to either Chorlton – home of the fantastic bar called Pi, or three stops further on to Burton Road, West Didsbury where you have Mary & Archie or Folk.

If you insist on staying in town then Cask on Liverpool Road always have a large selection on real ale and continental beers in stock.

Hope this helps?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Quality Manchester Drinking Establishments?’ is closed to new replies.