Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Quality, good value gilet?
  • benz
    Free Member

I’m after a wind and rain proof gilet.

Any recommendations?

Planet X?
    Lusso?
    Bbg?

Thanks

el_boufador

I really like my planet x 365 one, but I don’t think it’s waterproof

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I love my BTWIN cheapie one from decathlon.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Polaris were doing some in their sale for £11.00.

MarkyG82

The bonty ones are good. Have a yellow one for running/commuting and plan to get a blue one for keeping in my riding pack. Stuff down real small and just enough water resistance to keep the showers off.

jonnyboi

How warm? Galibier do an ultimate foul weather gilet

conkers
    Free Member

Intrepid.

el_boufador

I got a waterproof polaris one in the sale. It’s like a bin bag – It may be waterproof but it looks terrible and flaps about. avoid. (other polaris stuff I bought is good, just not that gilet)

Gunz
    Free Member

I love my Endura Windchill although it is a little bit more heavy weight than just a windproof.

lunge

I’ve got a couple that are good for different circumstances.
    An ultra light Decathlon/B’Twin job that is tiny and lives in my jersey pocket for all but the warmest of rides. Shower proof rather than waterprrof but does then job.

The other is a Rapha one that I got when I did Manchester to London. Much heavier, much better protected from the elements but also much heavier.

I’d recommend both but they’re very different in their best sue.

antigee

any more input? just lost mine – possibly a decathlon – looking to replace with something that:

packs down small
    must have reflective stuff on front as well as back
    long enough back to cover jacket pockets
    windproof front with easy to use zip
    waterproofish so so on

local shop has some castelli that pack down well in bright colours but limited reflective, merlin have lusso nitelife at ok price and def covers reflective – how big packed down?

lunge

Related but not, I’ve recently used some Muc-Off Facbric protect waterproofing spray on some skiing stuff and an old gillet. It made a very noticeable difference to their waterproofing and seems quite long lasting so far, I was quite impressed.

brassneck

The B’Twin isn’t waterproof (and not sold as so) – was in there yesterday. I bought the B’Twinn ‘team’ light weight rain coat:
    This one

.. that is supposedly waterproof and seems so (or at least enough) – it packs tiny enough that I can forgive it having arms. Only missing feature for me is some back pockets, but it fits that minimal protection gap well.

JackHammer

I always have my eye out for a nice gilet, always miss the mega deals.

I just cant justify £50 for a jacket with no arms

shredlyjoe82
    Free Member

@Nipper99 Think the Polaris one is only £20 in their Trail Sale at the moment

Apex Gilet

I ride with a guy that has one and he rates it, especially when the current weather can’t make up its mind:!:

pictonroad

That Apex gilet is the worst item of bike clothing I have ever handled. I paid £10 and still sent it back.

I’d advise against it unless you’re pretty rotund and have very low standards.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Scott at Start Fitness/cycles. Usually have a selection, I have a basic one and one made from Gore Windstopper

http://www.startfitness.co.uk/brands/scott?clothing_type=3880

euro road sizing FYI.

antigee

I just cant justify £50 for a jacket with no arms

well put but i like having a gilet in my back pocket or tool bottle for long cold descents or unexpected bad weather – jacket is better value but at home

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Quality, good value gilet?’ is closed to new replies.