Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Quality Base Layers for very cold weather
  • stuhawk
    Free Member

We’re off to Lapland in December to meet up with the Big Jolly Fellow himself. Boots, winter suits and gloves get provided but as we can expect it to get down to around -20 we need some quality top to toe base layers for me, the wife and two kids aged 6 and 8.
    Recommendations would be very much appreciated thanks.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Howies Merino base layers, still the best IMO

iainc

We went on a Lapland day trip years ago, regular Helly base, joggers etc worked fine and it was same temp. We had a 10 yr old and a 3 yr old with us and no one was cold.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TheDTs
    Free Member

Aldi or Lidl both do merino at times.
    Also, go outdoors have a good selection.
    Don’t go spending a fortune if your not going to use them again.
    Borrow some from friends for the kids?
    Have a great time!

grahamt1980

Either howies or finisterre merino.
    I had icebreaker when we went to Finland years ago. But the howies and finisterre stuff is way better

wilburt
    Free Member

M&S thermals but beware the warmest merino versions( they come in several grades) are ridiculously warm I’ve worn them in Norway in -20 with just a windproof and been warm.

There also about £20/30 rather than the think of number outdoor brand prices.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Don’t go spending a fortune if your not going to use them again.
    Borrow some from friends for the kids?
    Have a great time!

^^This^^

cynic-al
    Free Member

Quality?

If you just need warmth then they are all pretty much the same, it’s the air they trap that insulates.

But do spend that £ if you believe the hype.

vondally
    Free Member

As above do not spend loads or borrow…
    M and S
    Decathlon
    Aldi

All good and recommended…..decathlon do merino wool if you must, not a fan and have had Howie’s, Finisterre, Patagonia icebreakers and smartwool,all the ones above are as good but synthetic is as good.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I had icebreaker when we went to Finland years ago. But the howies and finisterre stuff is way better

Not if you’re a Princess with kitten soft skin.

footflaps

Never got on with Merino base layers myself (have a few different weights). I find they hold too much sweat if you’re working hard. Prefer a thin synthetic thermal.

vorlich
    Free Member

Can’t help for the kids, but for mum and dad look no further than the Rab power stretch pull on. Way warmer than any merino top I have, listed as a mid layer on Rab’s site, but fine for next to skin. Hello Hansen Life prowool tights are also very good.

MoreCashThanDash

Decathlon for kids ski base layers.

We went in 2008. Got down to -28. Even the locals said it was chilly.

martymac

Remember something to cover your face, at -20 ish, even the slightest breeze will chill you really quickly. A decent thick scarf, or one of those snood type things.

Spin
    Free Member

We’re off to Lapland in December to meet up with the Big Jolly Fellow himself

Ray Mears?

noltae
    Free Member

BRYNJE ARCTIC ZIP POLO JACKET – amazingly warm . .

swedishmatt
    Free Member

You don’t need quality base layers for standing around looking at Santa. Any base layer should do , maybe some thicker trousers with a layer underneath and you’ll be toasty otherwise jeans/trousers with layer will work brilliantly. Nice warm jacket with layers and a hat you’re good. When its really cold (it may very well not be -20) there is no wind. What you tend to really freeze when its really cold and you’re standing still is your feet as the cold from the ground just makes your feet horribly cold.

I grew up in a cold place.

benp1

Brynje mesh – excellent

Or Polartec Powerdry or Power Grid

stuhawk
    Free Member

Thanks for all you great ideas. Swedishmatt i understand what you mean about just looking at santa but we’ve got some mini adventures booked including a 1 hour Husky ride which is when the base layers, especially for the kids will really make the difference. Crying kids are no fun on a sunny beach nevermind a frozen winter wilderness.

Any suggestions for thin gloves to go underneath the mitts we’ll be given?

Thanks all.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I think Icebreaker are the best and available in various thinknesses. Equiping the whole family would cost £600 though. Layering inc silk glove liners would be my advice – I got mine from Snow and Rock (a while ago). Or fleece gloves – mine are North Face and cost £10 on sale

noltae
    Free Member

Icebreaker are not the best – and to add insult to injury it’s overpriced. If one is concerned about price it’s hard to beat a cheap lightweight merino partnered up with polartech powerdry. If you really want the best you’d be looking at custom made from qiviut yarn. Woolpower are nice in real world money ..

tomd
    Free Member

I wouldn’t go mad buying stuff – it was mostly between -1 and -10 when went to the very north end of Lapland a few Januarys ago and you can buy stuff easily when you’re there in the supermarkets. Even -20 isn’t as bad as it sounds because the air is dry and it’s generally not massively windy. All the buildings are heated to the max as well.

km79
    Free Member

Never got on with Merino base layers myself (have a few different weights). I find they hold too much sweat if you’re working hard. Prefer a thin synthetic thermal.

This. I end up colder with merino as I get clammy underneath with the retained moisture and end up getting a chill. Synthetic is much more comfortable and maintains a more consistent temperature. Much prefer a decent mid layer to provide the insulation.

ElShalimo

Devold expedition are fab. I got one for skiing and it was brilliant. They sometimes appear on Sport pursuit website

Spud

I’d usually say merino, but for rugby refereeing duties I use a Canterbury Cold Baselayer and it’s great. Not wool and not wool prices, most of the online sports places will do them and in kids sizes too.

wilburt
    Free Member

Peter Storm from Millets.

mmannerr

Even cotton will do nicely for base layers in non-athletic arctic activities but put some extra effort to keep kids feet dry and warm, two pairs of wool socks is good.
    If you are going with one of those travel companies they will provide you with very warm overalls, boots and mittens, only issue is that you are not used to wearing so warm clothes and will get sweaty feet before outdoor activities.

(Lived there for over 30 years)

surfer
    Free Member

Merino overrated IMO. Warm and but can be itchy and if you sweat it holds the moisture much longer than say HH Lifa which is the best base layer I have ever worn. Warn, holds almost no moisture and what is does dries in a couple of minutes. Old ones used to pong, newer ones dont.

deejayen
    Free Member

I, too, prefer Helly Hansen base layers to the Icebreaker merino wool ones.

The Helly Hansen liner gloves are good.

For cold weather, when not sweating, a Helly Hansen base layer with a down or Primaloft jacket works well.

I’m also a big fan of Buffalo gear – it works fine when wet, and it feels like it’s warming you up when you put it on. Their mitts are great for cold hands. I see that Buffalo also have a website for their kids’ products LittleBuffalo and some of those clothes might be good, including the ‘cosy winter hat’. The Buffalo gear is usually reasonably priced as well.

CraigW
    Free Member

I’m looking at these Ussen base layers. All polypropylene, should be rather warm. http://www.ussen.co.uk/shop/men/baltic-norj-pro-zipped/

Trekster

http://www.embersmerino.com/

http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/collections/merino

Im still using an old purple HH base layer from circa94 when we bought son his gear fro DofE trips from local shop doing deals for the kids, bit tatty around the edges but still functions after all these years 😀

MrsT has some Embers stuff she uses occasionally…

As already mentioned Buffalo is good, again son got some in the `90s and still uses it.

Paramo?

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I still use my body tight Endura cheapish base layer with a warm cycle jersey and my thick Gillet if I ride fast.

If I ride slowly on social rides, same base layer and an Endura Stealth.

Merino can get soggy for me.

P20

My winter base layer is a synthetic Odlo. Lovely bit of kit

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As most have said there is a big difference in requirements

Thanks for all you great ideas. Swedishmatt i understand what you mean about just looking at santa but we’ve got some mini adventures booked including a 1 hour Husky ride which is when the base layers, especially for the kids will really make the difference.

Unless they are running with the dogs it’s the warm properties you want not the exceptional wicking while speed climbing the eiger….
    Got some decnt cheap regular warm thermals when I was a kid heading off to frozen Norway, so oversized I used them on a few winter trips in the UK for the getting cold when not active.
    The fancy outdoor ones will just be overkill and priced.
    The other thing to remember is all the gear in the world is just insulation, it doesn’t make you warm if your not warm so probably chuck in some heat packs (if your allowed to fly with them) and remember to get them jumping around to warm themselves up.

user-removed
    Free Member

Berghaus. Berghaus and Berghaus again.

user-removed
    Free Member

And for gloves, silk liners. Cheap, cheerful and utilitarian at a sensible price. Available in all unicorn fart colours.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Keela

vondally
    Free Member

Seriously decathlon…silk liner gloves 5.00, fleece gloves1.00 ish ski gloves reasonably cheap all work really effectively and some hand warmers just in case

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Decathlon, Uniqlo , Aldi etc , . Keep those feet warm and get some reusable hand warmers . Have a great time !

northern Sweden resident

stuhawk
    Free Member

Thanks for all your replies. I dont think we’ll be spending a fortune as the holiday has cost enough and I not sure we need to judging by some of the replies. The boots, mitts and suits that get provided are pretty good by all accounts and I’ll use my MTB base layers.
    We’re heading to Saariselka in Finland if anyone knows it.
    Cheers all.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Quality Base Layers for very cold weather’ is closed to new replies.