Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Qualcast Suffolk Punch cylinder mower.
  • lotto
    Free Member

Just inherited one. Seems good. Only thing is when the engine is off the cylinder is locked so I can’t pull it into the shed easily. No rotation in either direction. I just scrape the cylinder along the ground putting it away. In use it is fine.
    Is this normal or should the cylinder still rotate when the engine is off?

higthepig
    Free Member

Pull in the clutch lever and it should roll fine.

lotto
    Free Member

Tried all sorts of combinations with the safety/clutch/cutter levers all to no avail.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    trail_rat
    Free Member

Sounds to me like the cable from the big full size lever to the belt clutch in the drive mechanism is too tight

Belt should be loose on the drum pulley until you pull lever which pulls in a roller on an arm which tensions the belt and connects engine and drum.

Remove side cover which is 5 or 6 hex bolts. You should see everything and it will be.clear

I have a 35s and can confirm it should roll.

The only thing connecting the engine to the roller is the belt clutch (source I had it dismantled last week as my clutch belts needed replacing)

Keep the cylinder sharp with cutting paste and a multisharp cylinder mower sharpener. Little and often keeps it sweet if you neglect it for too long you’ll have to get a pro with a propper lathe to correct it.

higthepig
    Free Member

When the motor is running and you pull in the clutch lever, is the mower powered or do you have to push it along? If you are pushing it, the cable may need adjusting as it has stretched, all the Suffolk Punches I have played with have had a powered roller and pulling in the lever frees the roller when the motor is not running, there should be a cable tension adjuster where the cable runs into the mower bed.

lotto
    Free Member

Yeah it is a powered roller. I’ll have a play with cable tension from the full size lever to the belt for the cylinder.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Qualcast Suffolk Punch cylinder mower.’ is closed to new replies.