Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • QRs – what side???
  • hungrymonkey
    Free Member

ok, so it seems conventional to have QR levers on the non-drive side. why is this???

i’ve got mine on the other side, as i have no mech in the way, and i prefer not to be faffing around with levers which are right next to a hot disc.

i’m not going to fall off the side of a cliff in a flaming ball cos my QRs are on the ‘wrong’ side am i…?

theflatboy
    Free Member

no you’re not. there’s a suggestion that it’s better to keep the lever on the non-disc side, as well which is what i have on the front, away from the gears on the back.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

I’m the same as flat boy, front – non brake side, rear – brake side.
    obvious on the front and on the rear its easier to get to with no mech in the way.

thomthumb
    Free Member

please see this 8)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

both on the disk side for me.

on the rear it means the lever sits nicely under the chainstay, wouldn’t fit the other way as it’s ritchey dropouts.

on the front it tucks nicely infront of the fork leg.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I guess they originally went on the NDS to keep the rear away from oil etc and then the front is the same to match.

Personally I don’t tend to take my front wheel off cack-handedly at the bottom of descents enough to worry about it.

EDIT – class website tomthumb

Kieran

After leaving part of my thumb sizzling on my disk i now have both QR levers on the non disk side

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

awesome. well i’m gonna keep mine on the drive-side then.
    my non-drive side is busy with the rohloff clickbox and axel plate, and disc, with a QR it looks messy.
    on the drive side it fits nicely under the chainstay, still out the way of rocks and weeds which may try to open it though. front matching this too, looks good. 🙂

Pook

I put them whichever way it says “Hope” the right way up

😉

simon_g

Non-drive side is correct, but that does pre-date disc brakes. My maxle is on the non-disc side, making a mismatch with my rear one. If the rear was on the other side, the Salsa logo would be upside down!

RealMan
    Free Member

Also, positioning (direction in which the QR lever points) is important. 12:00 front and 2:00 rear is acceptable, as is 2:00 front and 10:00 rear, for example. Random compass-needles-in-a-magnetic-field angles are not.

I always have both of them at 9:00 (pointing backwards). Ive heard of a few people who have got theirs caught in something or other, and instantly and inadvertently been riding a unicycle. Sure, its not going to happen often, if at all, but its such an easy thing to fix.

and…

Also, lose the BMX/skater helmet with no vents. I realize some people think helmets make you look dorky, and that these are somehow cooler. They’re not. They make your head look like a penis. If you’re that concerned about looks just skip the helmet and take the risk.

excellent.

UncleFred
    Free Member

It’s the Roadies fault! In a Peloton, If everybodies QR’s are on the same side facing the same way (lever back on the front and inside the chainstays on the back) then there is less chance of them getting caught in each other and taking the pack down……at least that’s what I was told by an ex-pro roadie.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘QRs – what side???’ is closed to new replies.