Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • QR15
  • KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Has anyone on here upgraded their forks to the latest QR15 lowers? I’m seriously contemplating it for my ’07 Float RLCs but at £130 for the lowers and £90 for the service at Mojo its an expensive upgrade.
    Has the purchase been a worthwhile upgrade and provide a noticeable difference in performance?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Can’t you just buy the parts and do the work yourself?

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Prefer not to Onza. Firstly, I often fid that DIY mechanics although satisfying often takes considerably longer than expected and is such a big learning curve. Secondly, my forks are due for their second year service to keep up with the Fox warranty and wondered whether the extra outlay would be worth it.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Just thought it would be a nice way to knock £90 off the bill. It’s certainly the way I’d do it as you’d also save on postage one way into the bargain.

I’m interested in what you say about warranty though. I thought they only came with a year and Mojo service work was only 90 days.

nickegg
    Free Member

Yep i have. Although mine were 07 Vanilla R. Coil forks are probably easier i imagine.

The forks concerned were second-hand and upon dis-assembly i discovered very badly worn stantions, due to no manintenance by the previous owner.

I bought new white 15QR lowers, new uppers and oil (for £270) and just transferred fork internals into new parts. The only tricky part was swapping a little stantion end cap locating in the bottom of the coil side leg. That is held in with a strange circlip kind of thing, did it using a metal pick.

I didn’t rush it and it was very straight forward, Mojo were great with advice and the new forks are fantastic. So much stiffer than 9mm QR, not to mention around £130 cheaper than buying new 15QR forks (Vanilla RLC 15QR).

I now have the forks i wanted: Rebound only and in white. Doubt i will see many like that out on the trails.

Enduro fork seals website has an excellant guide that will help alot and Mojo have a very handy PDF also, that will help with taking the lowers off.

I would say the conversion is well worth it as long as you have a convertible hub (PRO 2 or similar) and your stantion/upper leg assembly is in good condition if you are on a tight budget.

You just have to way up the costs i suppose. In regards to your warranty, i wouldn’t bother as if there was something to go wrong it would have by now. I would save myself the £90 and do it myself. There is very little to go wrong as long as you follow the instructions to the letter.

coatesy
    Free Member

As easy to do as the mini service that you’re supposed to do regularly. Bike upside down,remove caliper, undo two nuts at the base(you’ll need to remove the adjuster knob too on yours), pull off the legs, lube the seals and foam rings and replace(maybe adding a drop off shock oil too).

vinnyeh

I enquired about it at Mojo before deciding to go with a pair of 2009 Floats at a good price instead- Mojo said they’d charge about a tenner for doing the work if there was nothing else needing doing, but speaking to them on the phone I got the impression that the changeover was so simple that they saw no need to do the work themselves.

If you’re not confident doing it yourself, and you’re going to send the forks in and pay the freight anyway, then imo it’s a worthwhile upgrade from a stiffness point of view – Float 140’s were really noticeably noodly in 2008, qr15 gives a big improvement, though they’re not as stiff as Pikes. If yours are 140 then I think it’s worthwhile. I haven’t ridden 120’s in either configuration so can’t comment.

matt_outandabout

I have to say after only a couple of brief pootles on new F-120’s wirg QR15s I am impressed – coming of twisty/flexy Reba 29’s, where I kind of got used to them wandering a bit on rocky stuff, the Fox’s do seem very very good and directional…ie, they go exactly where you point them, even on off-camber bits.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘QR15’ is closed to new replies.