Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • QR lever. What side?
  • houndlegs
    Free Member

Evening
    Picked up my new wheels this week, with discs. Shop owner said, dont forget to have the qr levers on the opposite side to the discs, the theory being that if they accidentally open when riding, they cant get caught in the rotors and jam them up. I suppose a million to one shot could see them jam in the rotor though. I’ve never heard this before and have always had the levers the same side, albeit only cos its easier with the rear mech. Anyone else heard this and is there anything to it?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

None drive side front and rear for me, disk or no disk.

frogstomp

Nope, not heard that.. for me the rear goes the opposite side to the derailleur, front the same side to match.

andyl
    Free Member

I’d say more chance of getting caught in the chain (on the rear obviously).

Always on the disc side for me. Not sure why but always thought it was best that way.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

I have the lever on the nds rear, and ds on front, for more even weight distribution :p

thomthumb
    Free Member
    ahwiles
    Free Member

…for more even weight distribution :p…

so THAT’S why I can’t turn right!

Rubber_Buccaneer

and why I crash on my left side more than my right.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Away from the disc: less chance of carelessly burning fingers.

james
    Free Member

“cant get caught in the rotors and jam them up”
    Off the top of my head, ime when you open a QR lever from being closed (and being correctly adjusted to be closed), the lever won’t travel far back enough on itself to reach the disc
    If the QR has opened fully, there’ll be so much play that you’ll have stopped before the nut could loosen significantly to allow any lever to travel any further back on itself?

Apart from on the maxle, I’ve always gone for nds/left/disc side. rear allows easier wheel removal, front to match. On shimano QR’s I find the lever fits better around the fork on the nds/left/disc side. I prefer it pointing up in front of the fork leg anyway

Junkyard
    Free Member

Front so it tucks neatly under the rebound knob on RS forks to dtp the thing falling out on the trail

Rear no idea as i dont pay any attention to this

scotroutes

On some combinations of forks and q/rs it can only go on one side.

More fundamentally, fully back for aero?

houndlegs
    Free Member

Well, I’ve just been fiddling and as james says the lever wont bend far enough to touch the rotor(never tried it before). Anyways, it got too dark to finish fiddling so I’ve now got one each side, and you can bet your life I’ll forget about it tomorrow and it’ll be like it for weeks 😀

mjsmke

Front – Driveside (more space without the brake)
    Rear – Non drive side (more space without the rear mech)

munrobiker
    Free Member

There is only one way and its on the none driveside facing back for the front qr and forwards for the rear QR. It bothers me that Rockshox do the maxle the wrong way round.

craig5

Drive side, to avoid burnt fingers if you puncture after a long decent.

martymac

“Fully back for aero”?
    i dunno about that, i always have mine pointing fully back so that theycant catch on anything when going through the undergrowth.
    Although, I’ve never heard of this actually happening.
    EDIT: disc side for me.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Disc side on the back due to lack of room on the other side.
    Non disc side on the front due to burnt fingers (you only want to do that once).

mattsccm
    Free Member

Left!
    What is all this non drive side bollo######? Americanese jargon invented by a magazine trying to be clever?

alexpalacefan

Some RS forks have a damping adjuster on the bottom of the DS leg.

You can position the arm of some QRs under this so it doesn’t fall out.

APF

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘QR lever. What side?’ is closed to new replies.