Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • QNAP Nas – help needed please.
  • bitterlemon
    Free Member

These are great but confusing 🙂 Looking to use netbak replicator for backups but is there a way to perform incremental backups or will I have to tidy up the backups to ensure the full backups do not consume all of the available space. A bit techie but may look into using a script for rotation\deletion of older folders.

Currently I’m copying all Dropbox data to relevant locations on the PC then the mad plan is to have backup job created to copy my docs the to the NAS. Is there a decent app available to copy camera phone pictures to the NAS once on the home network, similar to what Dropbox offered.

I was tempted to create an iscsi drive so data is on the NAS from the off but feel more comfortable having it in a couple of locations. Is this the best approach.

Any pointers… Cheers.

mrchrispy

Backing up PC of Mac?
    Mac then just timemachine it
    PC then I found the windows backup software did enough for me.

Cougar

Dunno about much of that, but a NAS as a backup device seems overkill to me. What’s wrong with a plain old external drive?

mintimperial

We’ve got an old Qnap NAS here running mostly for backups. My advice is roll your own and avoid the built in backup stuff, it’s a bit rubbish.

I tried using various bits of their built in backup system to run remote backups, but it’s all so limited I just ended up pulling stuff off it with rsync over SSH from a less hopeless box elsewhere. For local backups (PCs to the NAS) I use a couple of solutions depending on the client, and just treat the NAS as a dumb network share.

bitterlemon
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ll continue to play.

Cougar, it’s a mixture of personal and work data so wanted some redundancy. I’m hoping to have access to this remotely and use the media functionality but I’m not clued up with this part yet.

For the windows backups to work was an iscsi target created first then presented to the pc or can you just create a folder on the nas? How would windows find this?

Cheers,

cranberry
    Free Member

You can just create a share on the NAS and access it as a drive letter on your PC, unless you have a pressing need to set up an iSCSI target ?

How much data are you wanting to back up ?
    What is the free space available on the NAS ?

DezB
    Free Member

For photos you just need to set a backup job that copies under the “Multimedia” folder. Then photos are backed up and automatically available in QPhoto.
    Not sure why your backup jobs would consume all the space. My “Music” folder is set to backup and it just makes a mirror of all the data in Music and subfolders. Never had it consume any more amount of space than it should.

bitterlemon
    Free Member

Thanks I’ll look into the QPhoto\multimedia side and check before making everything public 🙂 Qfile has helped me with uploading photos from phone automatically, iscsi because I like the idea of copying a lun (one file) to alternative media when needed – VM background. There is enough storage.

I’ve just found a copy of Acronis on my machine which can perform the incremental backups which is good.

Cheers,

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘QNAP Nas – help needed please.’ is closed to new replies.