Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • QECP – Tonight 5-6 pm ? Anyone fancy a play
  • weeksy

NEver been there and am dropping my lad off for practice/school, so could do with a few quick tips on where i want to ride.
    I’ve only got an hour though….

m0rk
    Free Member

I can’t get back early enough, but a lap of he red will take 35-50 mins depending how quick you are and is sign posted from the ticket machine in the first car park.

The blue is 20-30 mins, so you can tie in a combination if you had slightly longer.

Take knee pads if you wear them, it looks like it might rain a bi, so the chalk and dust will be entertaining

andyg1966

Ah nuts, I’m riding elsewhere tonight but I live right on QE doorstep.

Assuming you’re competant aim to to the red route. If you run out of time its really easy to return to the centre.
    The actual start of the red route is here

InTheTrees

and you can park near by. There is a meter to pay as well on the approach to that car park.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scottfitz
    Free Member

I would go for Blue trail into red trail, Its about 1.5 hour ride.

Blue trail:
    https://www.strava.com/segments/9341893?filter=overall

Red trail:
    https://www.strava.com/segments/1179989?filter=overall

weeksy

Can’t do 1.5 hours as my lads class is 5-6. So if i get back at 6.30 i’m in trouble LOL.

Red sounds ideal then. I’ll be on the Whyte T130 which i assume will be fine, i’m not an Enduro god so won’t be gapping anything.

thomthumb
    Free Member

t130 will be perfect.

If you have extra time when you finish you can do blue first climb to red (bit of climb) then final descent takes about 20 mins. no need to mess around looking for it they meet up perfectly.

stevextc
    Free Member

I was there 3?4? weeks ago and we had a great time but the mud is really clingy when it’s muddy… we were in a bit of a rush and didn’t know the trails …

My Hans Dampf clears Swinley mud (and most other) quite well but it was challenged shedding the chalk based mud. If it looks like it is going to rain worth considering wheel/tyre choice if thats an easy option…

We parked where andyg is indicating but didn’t know the routes and went up the side nearest the centre… had a great time but when we got back there were some kids (maybe Yaks group) doing what looks like an interesting technical section on the side of the road of that car park… this looked like something we’d plan for next time.

weeksy

If it’s raining me and my lad are staying home playing Fifa 2017 🙂

phil40
    Free Member

Hi Weeksy,

Blue a couple of times is fun, and the final descent of the blue is swoopy and fun. Nothing too technical!

I will see you there tonight, as my lad is doing the class as well. I think yak might be there as well.

Phil

weeksy

You coming out for a play then Phil ? Or do parents generally hang round ? I was planning on just abandoning him as i think he learns better when not trying to please me etc.

ferrals
    Free Member

Dont think you need to worry about mud! was in the hangers just north of petersfield yesterday and it was dry and dusty!

jambalaya
    Free Member

weeksy you really need a gps track as the trails especially the red are hard to follow the first time, I’d say most people get lost finding the red climb.

weeksy

I don’t have a GPS based device for viewing anyway so having the GPX wouldn’t be much use to me right now 🙂

At the end of the day, if i find the red/trails it’s all good, if i don’t i’ll just bimble randomly round the forest for 55 mins 🙂

scottfitz
    Free Member

Red trail is perfect for a sub hour ride, trails are running great at the moment.

weeksy

IF you could chop off one leg and an arm i’d even try and follow you Fitz 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

ViewRanger on your phone

weeksy

jambalaya – Member

ViewRanger on your phone

Installed, got map, downloaded… We’ll see what it does later 🙂

Yak

weeksy, i’ll point you at the start of the red or blue. After that follow the signs – you shouldn’t get lost! Any bike is fine – full suss, hardtail, rigid ss – whatever you have will be fine.

Weather – odd light shower? I wouldn’t panic and change tyres for that. Should be running fine. If it rains heavily it might be a bit greasy. It would have to be very heavy for the sessions to be cancelled at this time of year. Bring a jacket just in case. Lots of the trails are under tree cover anyway, so often you don’t notice a light shower.

Yes – most parents just go off and get a ride in, or read a book. We usually have one of the dbs checked parents helping out in one of the 2 sessions. I do one, phil40 sometimes the other. We also have young enduro racer lad who helps out too. So don’t worry about riding with the group – you go off and have some fun!

zilog6128

Stopped off at QECP on the way back from Wales a few weeks ago. Did a couple of laps of the red, really enjoyed it – the climbs are good and there are some nice descents. Less “meh” sections than Swinley red IMO.

Wouldn’t bother with the blue if you’re pushed for time. Dull climb plus horrible surface on a lot of it (big chunks of gravel) that made me not want to push myself & risk falling off (it’s not technical so you could ride it pretty fast if you wanted to though!) Also when I went the blue was very busy with people walking their dogs 🙄

cokie

Never even heard of these trails. Looks interesting though.
    Is it worth traveling just over an hour for?

Weeksy- be good to hear your feedback vs local trails.

weeksy

All sounding good then 🙂 I may even charge up the dropper post and fit it for the evening 🙂

With a bit of luck i may even get back to the carpark without injuring myself 😉 But i can’t promise 😀

phil40
    Free Member

Hi,

I think I am helping out tonight, otherwise I would happily show you the red. I don’t really like the first section, but snakes and ladders is one of my favourite bits of trail anywhere!

There is a new blue descent, which isn’t too technical, but it allows you to build up a lot of speed, and is very grin inducing!

scottfitz
    Free Member

I don’t really like the first section, but snakes and ladders is one of my favourite bits of trail anywhere!

We have plans to update the A3 section now the FC have finished works in there (Need to finish blue first). I like snakes and ladders to, unique bit of trail really.

There is a new blue descent, which isn’t too technical, but it allows you to build up a lot of speed, and is very grin inducing!

It needs a winter to settle in properly, its a bit loose with all the dry weather at the moment.

weeksy

Did the red while waiting for my boy.

Did 37:48 which seems to be 199/1817

Yak

Nice one. Good to see your lad looking pretty happy at the end too.

weeksy

He massively enjoyed himself mate. Thanks once again for making us feel so welcome

jambalaya
    Free Member

🙂

@cokie it partly depends where you are coming from and where you normally ride. However, an hours drive for a new venue with a few different trails to ride why not ?

tor5
    Free Member

Thread hijack; I’m intrigued by these lessons – are the bike skills or something else? Part of school curriculum or a separate after school thing? Age groups?

pobaker
    Free Member

Tor5 guessing it’s http://www.pedal2pedal.co.uk, bike skills, technique and just general riding for kids. My 8 year old loves it.

weeksy

That’s correct mate. That’s who my lad was with. He also loved it.

We’re debating a plan as its further than I thought and the expense of just the fuel for a weekly trip will hurt the wallet, so thinking of a plan that may work. He’s very much up for going back.

phil40
    Free Member

The pedal2pedal sessions are great! My lad (7) goes and loves riding the trails and working on new skills. There is also a great social side as they ride with the same groups, and so get into a biking culture!

Hannah does sessions at qecp but has done Swinley as well, seeing 7 year olds having fun and doing a full blue lap was great!

My daughter (4) has her first session on saturday, and can’t wait.

ferrals
    Free Member

cokie – Member
    Never even heard of these trails. Looks interesting though.
    Is it worth traveling just over an hour for?

Definately, when dry the best trail centre I’ve ridden and I live half way between Afan and Brechfa. Not as much distance obviously, but the red is classic xc with a sprinkle of berms and jumps.

Smashed out a few laps this evening as in engerland with work, absolutely primo. Lots of other stuff in there too that’s easy to find.

I am biased as grew up near there but will be buzzing on tonight’s ride for a while 😀

weeksy

Back next Tues if anyone wants to play

ferrals
    Free Member

I wish, will be back in Wales (not that that’s a hardship for bike riding really, especially with the current drought!)

scottfitz
    Free Member

All Pop down to qecyclefest this weekend at QECP. There are free fun kids races (balance bike and pedal bike) on the hour between 10 – 2! They will need their bikes and helmets.

Kids race at 0:45 in this vid:
    [video]https://youtu.be/rWwN5-B_xtc[/video]

More info about the weekend

weeksy

Can’t make that one i’m afraid…

but i’ll be there tonight. Debating whether to hit the Red again or possibly do some Butser hill climbs as i want to test/check if the 32T will work for the SDW double attempt we’ve got coming up. But i’m currently leaning more towards using the Parkwood and it’s 2X gearing for the SDW as the 29er rolls better… comfort or speed/gearing, decisions decision.

if anyone else fancies some riding tonight 5-6pm though i’m happy to join in with whatever.

jambalaya
    Free Member

SDW prep/teating would seem the way to go to me ;

Repeat for 100m : uppy downy skiddy widdy hurty wurty ….

weeksy

Yeah, you’re probably right…

You’ll find me riding up and down Butser Hill then later. I really wanted to have the Parkwood ready but sadly the tyre never arrived, so i either have a choice of fitting the On-One Smorgasboard on the rear tubeless, using the Maxxis Aspen tubed, or riding the Whyte T-130… decisions decisions. I will likely be the Whyte then, try the 32T out and see if it’s going to work for SDW duties.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘QECP – Tonight 5-6 pm ? Anyone fancy a play’ is closed to new replies.