Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • QE Park nr Petersfield Hampshire
  • Brunk
    Free Member

Going to QE Park with some friends from work tomorrow – anyone been there before? Any comments on what it's like? Any good bits to look out for?

Cheers

4ags4
    Free Member

only a very short ride if you stick to the marked routes – best to get out onto the south downs way from there – loads of bridleways not too far away.

poppa
    Free Member

From what I remember there is some climbing that will leave you out of breath. Obstacles will mainly be roots and ruts and fast off-camber sections, and there was a twisty bermed bit too if I remember correctly. Worth a squirt. If you have lots of time a trip into the countryside is a good idea.

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/qecp.pdf
    http://www3.hants.gov.uk/cycling/cycling-maps-leaflets.htm

29erKeith
    Free Member

Once you've done the trails in the park go out the back and have a look around the old chalk pit some fun bits in there, beware can get pretty greasy in the the wet though

Head out on the SDW, you'll come to a small car park by road there's a trail going into the wood on the corner, a short way in to the woods come of the main trail and head to your right

Brunk
    Free Member

Thanks folks! I live in Bristol – how would it compare to something like Cymcarn – my nearest Welsh trail?

29erKeith
    Free Member

it's ok but, not that good tbh 🙁

I certainly wouldn't make that trip especially for QE
    where I would do the reverse for Cymcarn

poppa
    Free Member

Don't expect much.

zbonty

As 29erKeith said. Rode it in 95 or 96, then again a couple of months ago. Cwmcarn is in a different class.

Took a QE local to Cwmcarn for his first 'real' trailcentre ride and it blew him away. No comparison really.
    QE is an hour from me and i can't see me wanting to visit for another 10-15 years. Decent patch of land in need of investment (surfaced trails for one)

singletrackmind

Surfaced trails. PPlleeeaase.

Its small, hilly and rooty. Deffo not worth the drive from Wales. Its only about a 40 min lap. You can tag on the family trail, but thats only another 20 or so.

There is some unofficial stuff, but again , its short and lasts seconds.

With the acreage and terrain so much more could be built.
    Even a tarmac trail for zbonty

corroded
    Free Member

It's not in the same league as Cwm Carn, Afan by a long shot. There's a short (30-40min – can't remember) of mostly chalky singletrack through the woods but it's all wheels on the ground. As 29erK suggests, if you go out via the the Buriton exit (back of QE, or park there for free) you can join the SDW. Follow this and there are some bridleways in the next wood that extend the ride (check an OS map).

RichPenny
    Free Member

I think there is some good stuff on the other side of the road and up Butser Hill? Mind, the only time I was there I did the climb and promptly ripped the rear mech off on a muddy bit. It was someone elses bike tho 🙂

zbonty

@singletrackmind – i have never and will never request tarmac on my off road trails!

Tarmac = Road=Road riding

vd

The responses above are, I'd guess, from people who do not know QE that well.There is some really great stuff there but:

1 The best stuff is cheeky
    2 You will definitely have to work for it. The climbs can be fierce
    3 You probably need a local to show you around
    4 You may need to dodge "parkie"

The official trails are short. The purple is non-technical but far too tough in climbing for most novices. The Orange is fine but short.

If your mates know where you are going then you should have a great time. However, it is raining and it will be very greasy with areas of exposed chalk. Take your pads.

TheBear
    Free Member

QE park is actually a great place to ride, I live just near it and ride it a few times a week. I can see why people are saying its no good but if you know where you are going its brilliant.

I love it in the wet too, makes it way more challenging. The climbs aren't particularly challenging but there are some great downhills, although they may be impossible to find without a local.

I would volunteer to show you round but I'm working.

Parts of the Orange trail are good but it is mainly the secret trails that are good such as the old National DH.

Watch out for the warden though if you do stray off the proper trails..

Also I hope you guys are joking when you say "surfaced trails", that would ruin it…

beardie
    Free Member

rode there the other week, 1st time for a couple of years, somebodys been doing some work on a few bits, quite entertaining,all over and done with quite quickly but as has been stated lots of other good stuff east or west of A3, raining now so will be nice n greasy tomorro, enjoy 😆

slugwash
    Free Member

Hi Brunk. Haven't seen you for almost a year! Doing the annual Autumn Wales trip in early October if you or the Bristol crowd are up for it. Starting with Snowdon and then heading South. Drop us an e-mail if interested or if you fancy another Dartmoor trip.

BTW, here's a piccie of you and a mountain bike just in case you'd forgotten what one was!

Have fun at the QE park

Rich.

slugwash(at)hotmail(dot)com

DezB
    Free Member

Learned to ride at QE and still like the place a lot.
    See it now as a good place to "train" (it's never easy), take the family, take the dog or night ride solo.
    I reckon those who slag it off find the rooty, windy, off-camber, short-sharp-climby nature of it too hard.

Edit: Windy as in twisty-turny, not blowy, if you get me drift 🙂

Brunk
    Free Member

Thanks everyone! Just got back to the PC today – pleasantly surprised with the amount of feedback – AND the mugshot!! Thanks Rich 🙂

I'm working several days a week down in Chichester so:
    A Missing midweek bike ride
    B looking for stuff down here

Hence QE park – it sounds a little like the local stuff in Leigh Woods etc in Brizzle. I'm looking forward to ut now! Will be there this evening.

Oh Rich – expect a call/email soon; Dartmoor sounds good and I've wanted to do Snowdon for ages!

bigdawg
    Free Member

so whats changed here – there was a NPS race here around 95 and round of the mtb tour of britain too, from memory it was one of the hardest courses Ive raced on (the 92 degree heat didnt help either whilst riding through the BBQ area!)…

stupot
    Free Member

QE is where i started riding as a kid prior to moving to the peak, still ride there every now and again when im at my parents. The trail is short but fairly fun and there are some 'cheeky' trails about. The bridle ways running off butser hill can be formed into quite a good loop.

If your working in chichester then there is also riding all along the southdowns.

Beware if its wet, the chalk is leathal/fun?!

acjim
    Free Member

It is a bit like Leigh woods, not as many trails though

bugpowderdust
    Free Member

QE is ok in small doses, I personally don't go there often as theres too much decent riding around here, drop me an email and I'm happy to show you around a few local trails off of the South Down if your down this way a few days a week.

DezB
    Free Member

So Brunk, how was it?

poppa
    Free Member

Bumpity Brunkity.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘QE Park nr Petersfield Hampshire’ is closed to new replies.