• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by -m-.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Qatar airlines, south china airlines experiences?
  • one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Going to be popping back to the uk in dec for a couple of months off and to enjoy the best of the British weather at the optimum time of year.

Flights from oz are criminally expensive, cheapest options are South China Airlines (very long flight) or Qatar airlines slightly more but 10hrs plus less travell time.

Any experience of either?

Cheers

40mpg

Flew Qatar Heathrow – Doha, modern jet, plenty room, all latest mod cons, can’t fault it. Basically shuttle for rich arabs to London.

Then Doha – Kathmnandu. Flying bucket, torn seats, packed in. Basically shuttle for nepalese migrant workers to Doha! Curry on board was good though!

Sorry that probably doesn’t help much, but I would imagine flights from Oz are of the premium variety.

Hanky

I use Qatar all the time, they are very good – all classes. Regular trip is Doha to Manchester return.

Service in the air is much better than on the ground but that’s really the inadequate terminal and facilities in Doha, while we all wait for New Doha International Airport to open sometime in the future

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    druidh
    Free Member

Exactly my wifes experience!

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Flew Qatar from saigon to lhr via Doha.
    As others have said, really good. Id only not use them in the future for a direct flight, I prefer not to stop over (though from oz this may be welcome)

Plane was a 777 IIRC.

singletracked
    Free Member

Qatar is very good, comparable to Emirates, if that helps.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies I usually fly emirates or ba but it being close to comercialmas is rediculously expensive. Haven’t heard good things about southern china airlines but Qatar were a complete uknown. Only hour stop in Doho and much shorter flight so for the difference I’ll give them a go. Also looks like you get 10kg allowance for sporting goods.

konabunny
    Free Member

Qatar is excellent, from personal experience, although stopover airport was not so great – no Singapore or Dubai, certainly.

From reports, China Southern is crap to okay, and Guangzhou is by all accounts a terrible stopover airport.

Even a notorious cheapskate like me in Oz would choose Qatar if there wasn’t much in it.

sparkyrhino

yep qatar very good,good service and leg room in cattle class.free booze too. 😀

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

You had me at free booze and legroom (6’2″) !

Only an hour and a half stop over so not so worried about doha.

ericemel
    Free Member

Flew Qatar to Doha and then to HCM City – one of the better airlines I have been on.

Reccomended

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

You had me at free booze and legroom (6’2″) !

Only an hour and a half stop over so not so worried about doha.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Qatar = good service, free alcohol and hot stewardesses (Eastern European, rather than Qatari 🙂 ), in my experience.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Try Finnair as well.

Codeshares with BA….

nicko74

Another vote for Qatar here – flew with them to Sri Lanka. New plane, good entertainment, food not bad. Unfortunately, on-board service was not great, in a “we’ve got all the mod cons, we’re not quite sure what to do with them” type way – trolleys running in such a way that you get caught between them if you want a pee, nobody collecting food trays, that kind of thing.

Doha is incredibly smooth as well – a 15 minute transfer ain’t no thing there, as it’s basically set up as a transfer airport.

-m-
    Free Member

China Southern is well worth avoiding unless it’s a monumentally good deal and price is absolutely critical.

Probably not likely from Oz-UK, but just in case:

Ditto for China Eastern (possibly the best of the 3)

Ditto for Air China (possibly the worst of the 3)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Qatar airlines, south china airlines experiences?’ is closed to new replies.