Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Q&A's on rigid forks please….
  • rosscopeco
    Free Member

I’m thinking about running some rigid forks on my Solaris so I’ve a few questions for anyone who’s got some experiance. Oh, and whatever I eventually get I want it to be 29+ compatable. I’m also running a 100 Reba at the moment so my questions are based on what I’m used to.

I’m sure some of these will come down to personal preference but I’m keen to get a better understanding of all the pros / cons before I purchase.

1. Carbon or steel and why?
    2. What length of fork would be comparable to a 100mm fork?
    3. What offset is best?
    4. QR or 15mm?
    5. What are my choices make / model?
    6. 29+ or 29×2.4?
    7. Is there anythings else I should be thinking of?

Cheers

cynic-al
    Free Member

MY ON ONE CARBON’S HAVE A BIT OF FLEX THAT I DOUBT THERE’D BE on (heavy) steel forks. (damn CL)
    470mm I think
    No idea
    up to you, I run QR, 15mm blows goats IMO, but there may be more choice, I bought SH.
    Exotic, Ritchey…
    up to you – I’d try what you have already before trying anything new.
    I don’t think so

jakd95
    Free Member

I’ve got some rigid steel forks on my ss 29er Inbred that I use for bikepacking/as a winter bike. I believe they came from a Surly Ogre and as such have about 1000 different attachments for guards/racks/bottles which is useful and they were cheap second hand. However they really are rather heavy.

So..
    1- Steel – Cheap and tough
    2- Not sure of a-c length but they feel good on the Inbred which I believe is designed around 100mm forks.
    3- No idea.
    4- Qr and they do the job.
    5- Not tried anything else I’m afraid.
    6- 2.4 Mountain King and plenty for space for something bigger. It’s plenty of squish for me (although it’d be good to try 29+). I’ve been up and down Snowdon on them and although it was a bit rough it was still manageable and fun! I’m constantly surprised by just how capable and tough the rigid bike is.
    7- Nice wide rims even if you don’t go 29+.

Hope this is helpful.

rickmeister

have rigid forks on an ibis tranny and have no desire to change .. fork is from carbon cycles..

1. Aluminium, stiff, light and good value against others
    2. Compatible length info is on their website.There are options so a bit longer or shorter is possible
    3. Erm…
    4. QR
    5. http://www.carboncycles.cc/?product_code=CC-F0365& nand have a root around
    6. I run 26 ..
    7. Dont know..

Northwind

I used to have the Carboncycles ones, very good. Not the lightest, certainly not the stiffest but not convinced stiff is really that good a thing, in a rigid. Not sure about 29+ though.

nedrapier

Google for “Swift forks carbon” there’s a thread on here about options, some reckoning the Swift fork is the best they’ve ridden, carbon or not. Space in the new ones for Knards on 50mm rims too.

nedrapier

And I bought my Salsa Cromotos on the same logic, enough feedback from users who’d tried both that the weight penalty was worth taking for a nice ride.

vorlich
    Free Member

I have some old Pace carbons on my 29er, very flexy, but I do like them. Very comfortable.

Clink

I have some spare Swift forks if you want to try some?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-reverb-track-cog-lezyne-pump-xt-rear-mech

m360
    Free Member

I’ve recently added some Kinesis Maxlight XLT forks to my hard tail and I’m very impressed with the ride. They are aluminium, but the point is that it’s as much to do with the design of them as the material. I was set on carbon, but got the Kenesis at half the price so took a punt. As I say, very impressed, definitely not buzzy or harsh.

aP
    Free Member

I’ve got the niner RDO forks on my air9 and they’re surprisingly ok, although the whole package isn’t the most “compliant”. It rides like a very capable cx bike.

mattk
    Free Member

I tried carbon and the flex and juddering was a very unpleasant feeling, I’m much happier with rigid steel. That said it was a pair of exotic forks, which were pretty cheap.

You can have a go on my rigid steel bike if your in the midlands?

Duffer
    Free Member

Another Cromoto owner here. They are lovely, although i’ve not long got them, so i’d be hesitant to sing their praises too much just yet. Plenty of room for a 29×3 tyre; I’m running a 2.4 chunkey monkey on a 35mm rim and there’s loads od space.

But for less than £100, i think they’re worth a punt. And they are steel, which (i gather) is real.

Is there anything else i should be thinking of?

Never look back in regret but, to move on to the next thing. A setback is never a bad experience, just another one of life’s lessons.

benji
    Free Member

Enve’s new Mountain Fork hits the trail

Fork offset covered it’s adjustable with the chip system.

I’m currently riding steel from Pace, surprisingly compliant, and on a QR, i’m not the most gnar of riders, have noticed no issues regarding twist. There is a third option of titanium, Clee cycles list some, this I guess is an answer to question 7.

unovolo
    Free Member

Salsa Chromotos here too and are surprisingly good.
    Have only ever ridden with rigid forks on road bikes before and was quite surprised how compliant they are in comparison (I know the larger volume tyres here but bigger hits off road than on road)

Reasonably light for steel forks too.

rosscopeco
    Free Member

Thanks for all the feedback

One final question…and it’s a stupid one but hey ho…!

In comparison to bouncy forks, have you found the rigid forks disappointingly slower on the fast down hill bits?

I’m hoping that whilst they’re obviously going to be a bit slower, it’s a little scarier / better fun etc etc!

Northwind

Sometimes it can feel a bit frustrating- ironically on easier trails ime, chattery roots and lumpy surfaces can suck speed out. I remember when doing the glentress seven on mine there were a couple of link roads which everyone else could coast or blast, that I had to put effort into just to keep moving! Annoying.

Most of the time, it does not feel slow 😆 TBH you might be surprised just how much speed you can carry, the difference in speed is still well within the range of speeds you tend to get in a group of random riders.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

Salsa Chromotos here (tapered steerer/15mm maxle version). I tend to ride them with a 2.35 Hans Dampf on the front for trail centre stuff which seems nice and bouncy and a 2.25 Ralph for XC use.

They are surprisingly quick DH, just ride with the front end light so that bumps don’t suck up all your momentum, I only start to lose out to full sussers when my arms get tired. Purely as a reference point (nothing to show off about as I am by no means skilled or talented on a bike) after a ride round Degla the other week, Strava somehow put me at 28/6400 down the b-line ‘enduro’ black run, so they aren’t particularly slow on the right type of trail.

BillOddie

I have Surly Karate Monkey forks on my Karate Monkey.

They are fine.

Lots of clearance, not stupid stiff (I have surly instigator forks too which are wrist breakingly stiff) and they are cheap too.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Q&A's on rigid forks please….’ is closed to new replies.