Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Q4: I don't know how to set my fork up! Anybody brainy here?
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

I fitted Z1 Sl (150mm QR fork) onto my 456SS but as I have no manual/instructions I can’t work it out. Can anybody help, please?

Hairychested
    Free Member

Surely somebody knows those forks. No?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have a z1 lite fork on the tandem. However I do know there are a few varients of this fork. I think yoiurs is the doppio air one

The first thing to set is sag / ride height – about 25 – 35 % depending on style use the positive air chamber. Set negative air to the same pressure.
    Next thing to set is rebound damping. IMO minimum to stop it feeling bouncy – start off with both dampers set to zero ride a bit of trail and increase rebound until it stops feeling bouncy. then do compression – increase compression until it stops plunging on the brakes.

I like a fork set soft – lots of sag, minimal compression damping, moderate rebound.

The only way to really set it up is to ride a typical bit of trail over and over again altering one adjuster at a time.

Its useful to put a cable tie around the fork leg to check how much travel you are using – I aim to have it set to use most if not all travel on the biggest bumps I hit.

If you have the correct sag but are not getting all travel or are bottoming out its time to play with the negative air or oil levels to alter the effective spring rate ramp up curve of the fork

Hope that helps

Hairychested
    Free Member

Did that, the fork felt fine during the strictly professional carpark test but shown a few roots and a slope it compressed way too much.
    What air pressure for a 75kgs rider?
    BTW It’s a Doppio. Thanks!
    Ooooops, how much oil should there be in the fork? Anybody has a pdf of a manual?

tazzymtb

what year fork is it, I have the complete marzo guides for all 2003 i can eamil but if it’s a newer one i’m afraid I’m no use!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You should be able to get the manuals off the marzocchi or windwave sits – they are available. I have one somewhere I think so e mail me if you can’t find it

I wouldn’t mess with oil levels until all else is exhausted

How much sag did you have? Try going to 25% sag so increasing the positive air and have the negative air the same.

Hairychested
    Free Member

It looks 2003 to me as it appears the same as the one in this, not mine, ad:
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-03-marzocchi-z1-fr-sl-doppio-air-incl-pump-adaptor-acerbis-fender

Hairychested
    Free Member

TJ, I had 25-28% sag. That’s why I was puzzled when it went all the way down so easily. Might be oil, but I’ll check the air pressures.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hmm Higher pressures in both chambers an perhpas more in the negative?

So higher posotive aior to create a harder spring but negative higher than positive to increase sag? Reaching the limits of what I know here tho

http://www.marzocchi.com/template/listManuals.asp?LN=UK&IDFolder=126

leebaxter
    Free Member

Doppio cart is very hard to get right in my experience. i have an all mounatain sl which relies on the negative to adjust the travel.

nickc

I was advised by Windwve to run no positive air at all, and prop up the fork with the PAR chamber.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I’ve just tried a suggestion found on MTBR – circa 20lbs positive and 120lbs negative. Make sure you load the other side too (I forgot originally).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Q4: I don't know how to set my fork up! Anybody brainy here?’ is closed to new replies.